• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Educating the Masses

J

jyarmo

While the attention Crohn's disease (and other similar conditions) have received has increased, many people still have misconceptions about what Crohn's is and what it means to be suffering from it.

Often times, because our condition plays such a big role in our life, we tend to bring it up or allude to it in conversation (even when talking to people we do not know that well!)

I find that when people find out I have crohn's they are very interested. Humans are curious by nature! I enjoy educating people about how Crohn's affects me. I find that many people have a relative, or know of someone who is dealing with a similar disease. As I am now doing quite well and having few issues regarding my Crohn's, I like serving as an example that you can get better!

How do you explain your condition to others. How do they usually react?

R

Rob17870

Ive explained it pretty openly to all of my close friends. If someone I dont know very well asks i usually just say its something that makes me feel like crap alot.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Rob17870 said:
Ive explained it pretty openly to all of my close friends. If someone I dont know very well asks i usually just say its something that makes me feel like crap alot.
I know what you mean. Sometimes it is tiring to be asked the question so much that it is easier just to give that type of answer. It is good that you can talk openly about it with some people, even though they might not totally understand what it is like to go through it all.

I have explained CD to so many but when I get past the first sentance which is usually something like; CD is an intestinal disease. People tell me to stop explaining because they do not want to get freaked out by disgusting stories which I can always bring up my three foot long crap I had in the hospital while undergoing my first of ten doses of miralax. But now I am working on an article for my local newspaper.

Jeff

R

ReeRee

When ya'll are explaining to to someone, do you sometimes get asked if it's a problem with my chromasomes? I've been asked that alot. Just curious.

Nope never asked that but I have found out that it has something to do with a scratch on a chromosome if you believe all of these modern scientists and there flip flop minds

In a days span I was rearching CD and the scientists changed their minds 5 times in one day that is just insane.

J

P.S. I really dislike scientists

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I think it is great that you are writing an article about this for your newspaper Jeff. It will likely go along way to educate a lot more people, and at least you will not have to get annoyed as often when people ask you about CD and then get uninterested or don't want to be grossed out.

J

jyarmo

Yeah Jeff, you must share your article with all of us after it gets printed (or beforehand if you want some feedback on it :D)

Will do, I am trying to write about 700 words and now I am at like 300 or something. It is hard to not go into to much detail because I could write a book on the subject.

J

Way to go Jeff...and when approaching people of the questions, I usually start out by telling them it is an auto-immune disease...Idk sometimes that doesn't make it seem as awkward.