• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questions about entocort

Ive just been prescribed Entocort. I know its not as "intense" as far as side effects as Pred is, but my question is ---will it leach calcium out of the body like Pred does? And also, literature online says that you can only take it for a few months but my Dr says you can take it long term- like for years. Is this true? Can you take for for years and years without too many side effects? And one more question--- how long should I expect to wait before seeing some results? My crohn's right now is mild/moderate.

It can take some calcium out of the bones I believe, best to ask your dr if a supplement is appropriate. I was not put on a calcium supplement when I took it. I have taken it twice for a few months each time. My GI took me off of it stating that I shouldn't be on any strong meds unless absolutely necessary. Both him and my regular dr are not big on prescriptions just for the heck of it. I did not have any side effects. It was a wonderful drug that helped me get to remission. I felt my symptoms get better almost immediately...with in days, but I know for some it can take longer. Mine too is mild to moderate and only in the colon. Hope that info helps.

It depletes calcium as well, just as any steroid, I was advised to get calcium while being on it. The data is not that clear about the overall availability of the steroid coming from budesonide, but at least for me, it caused the same side effects as pred after a few weeks, just way slower, less severe but visible and noticeable. I wasn't allowed to be on it long term. Everyone is different, it causes way less side effects than prednisolone/prednisone but it's still a steroid. I was very surprised that I had the same side effects, but I heard, it's quite common. Some react to steroids more sensitive than others.
I had results after 3 days, there wasn't improvement any afterwards (it got worse instead because it was not strong enough for me), but that's just me. My Crohn's is moderate/severe.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I would not take Entocort for years, that seems reckless. My GI did say he feels it's okay to be on for months at a time though. I've been on it twice, for about 7 months the first time (Oct 2010 - April 2011) and for about 8 months the second time (Feb - Oct 2014). It's a bit slower acting than pred so it takes a bit longer for me to get into remission from it. And yes, as the others have said, it'll still leach calcium from you so it's probably a good idea to supplement, and if you're well enough to exercise, try to do some weight-bearing exercise as well to keep your bones strong (Entocort can also rob you of muscle mass, so that's another good reason to do some weight-bearing exercise if you're able to).

For me, I feel better on Entocort pretty quickly, within a week or two of being on it. But feeling better and actually being healed inside are two different things. That's apparently why it took me so long both times on Entocort, it just takes awhile for it to heal me inside to the point where I can taper down and then come off of it.

I did get one fairly bad side effect from Entocort, which was recurrent headaches (I would get bad headaches that would sometimes last for 5 days at a time, and at times I'd have 3 of those headaches per month - not fun). Apparently only a small percentage of people on Entocort will get headaches, so don't be too worried about that. And honestly that was the worst side effect I experienced, and I could deal with it although it wasn't wonderful. So hopefully your side effects will be mild and few.

Thanks for the input, you guys. I just picked up the rx, and I hope it works. My crohns was actually very severe until my resection in 2014. Since then, I hadn't been on anything (my choice) but now things are stirring up again, but in a more mild way. I hope entocort does the trick because I prefer not to be on biologics. I am also taking Questran because I seem to have yellow bile coming out the rear. Hopefully the two drugs will be the combo I need for now.

I took entocort for about 2years with no problems. Took calcium too but you need to take magnesium and vit d with calcium or it goes in the arteries instead of the bones. Otherwise go for food based calcium like whole eggs, yogurt, cheese, kale, broccoli, wild salmon, sardines and others

Yes it can deplete calcium, but not anywhere near the rate of prednisone.
I've been on 9mg daily for years, which some will say is inappropriate but other meds haven't worked and I can't wean off, so the only other option is surgery, but I'd like to keep as much bowel as I can for as long as I can.
So, I take supplements and get blood work and bone density tests to keep an eye on things. So far so good.

The whole point is to target the affected area so far less goes into the rest of your system. I took some calcium tablets having read about it on here; I thought I may as well, but apart from some nausea the first two days didn't have any side effects. And there was an improvement in symptoms after two weeks. I'd be happier taking this long term than some other things.

Thanks for the input, you guys. I just picked up the rx, and I hope it works. My crohns was actually very severe until my resection in 2014. Since then, I hadn't been on anything (my choice) but now things are stirring up again, but in a more mild way. I hope entocort does the trick because I prefer not to be on biologics. I am also taking Questran because I seem to have yellow bile coming out the rear. Hopefully the two drugs will be the combo I need for now.
Your history sounds much like mine. Severe Crohns up until my Full Colectomy in 2014. Things have been great since but this Jan starting to see some flare up. Ended up with a fistula and Seton to drain. I am starting Entocort tomorrow until I could start my Humira again. Just wondering if it has been helpful for you? Any bad side effects? I really hate Pred and I hope I tolerate this better. Hoping it's only for a short time as I have no side effects at all with Humira except low energy perhaps.

Your history sounds much like mine. Severe Crohns up until my Full Colectomy in 2014. Things have been great since but this Jan starting to see some flare up. Ended up with a fistula and Seton to drain. I am starting Entocort tomorrow until I could start my Humira
again. Just wondering if it has been helpful for you? Any bad side effects? I really hate Pred and I hope I tolerate this better. Hoping it's only for a short time as I have no side effects at all with Humira except low energy perhaps.
I am currently on Entocort and I feel like sometimes my symptoms are better than at other times.