• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post your 2016 - Cost of Crohn's Treatment - Mine = $130,000

Amount paid by Insurance; $130,000. Billed by Hospital and Doctors was even more!

1) Gall Bladder Removal
2) Liver Infections
3) Remicade and other Meds
4) Multiple Colonoscopies

Thanks to Anthem/Blue Cross Insurance for being a great partner this year

Ouch! That's one of the bad things about the NHS, you don't know what you've cost them! Well maybe that's a good thing?!

It wouldn't even be close to that though....I'm honestly gobsmacked at that figure [emoji15]

This year the total cost Cigna paid for my crohn's care was $55,000 (I rounded it off). Treating my migraines involved an additional insane $10,000.

One hospitalization
Multiple doctor visits
One capsule endoscopy
Several CT scans and X-Rays
One colonoscopy

It's been a long year.

Current Crohn's Meds:
Entocort 9 mg
Dexilant 2x60 mg
Linzess 290 mcg
Metaclopromide 5 mg as needed
Promethazine 25 mg as needed

I took Humira weekly, which I think would have cost insurance about $96k. One MR-enterography, 2 colonoscopies, 2 ER visits, doctor visits, etc, and so I think the total is probably ~$110k. Mainly Humira is the big cost.

Humira weekly costs $44,400, which I get back in my work benefits. Hospital visits, tests, and dr appointments i have no idea, I live in Canada and don't pay for those.