Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Did you have Antibiotics as a kid?

View Poll Results: Did you have alot of Antibiotics as a Kid????
Yes 83 76.15%
No 20 18.35%
Not Sure 6 5.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #31
william4

and a whole slew of people have been on a.b. and never had a problem
10-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #32
Avw

My Support Groups:
I was very sickly as a child and was constantly on antibiotics, and my mom is clean-freak, so I was probably seriously lacking in "good bacteria" LOL.

I have also heard that being born via C-section has an effect a baby's gut flora... Would be interesting to see how many of us are C-section babies. I am!

Also agree with whomever suspected that a vaccine may have been a trigger in their disease. I was required to have a Hep B vaccine to do clinicals for nursing... My first major flare and subsequent diagnosis came a few months later.

I don't think there is any one specific cause for autoimmune disorders, but rather a combination of all the environmental factors stressing an immune system that is already genetically susceptible. Stress, viruses, antibiotics, vaccines, toxins, etc... all add up over time, and at some point I think the immune system just goes haywire. But, that's just my humble opinion.

Previous Medications:
Every oral medication,
Remicade,
Humira,
Cimzia, etc..

Currently Taking:
LDN 3 mg
VSL #3
Prednisone 10 mg
Flagyl 1000 mg
Entocort
Protonix
Xanax as needed

Insurance still rejecting appeals for Stem Cell Transplant. Tested positive for JCV Antibody so Tysabri is not an option. Searching for matches in Cord Blood Registry and working with an attorney to fight insurance company. Fingers and toes crossed!
10-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #33
Ihurt

My Support Groups:
I agree AVW, I think it is like a pot of water that is just waiting to boil over. I think it is a build up of stressers that are put on the immune system for so long that finally the bottom drops from under.( I believe this is the case with a lot of orphan diseases and immune diseases). I was born natural(no c-section), but my mom did have severe toxemia late in her pregnancy with me( we almost both died). I was premature about 4 weeks, I weighed only 4 and half lbs. I am not saying this is why I am sick, but there could be a possible connection. I wonder how many on here were born premature??
10-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #34
NicoleKS

Yep. The liquid pink bubble gum flavored stuff. Yummy. lol
Failed IBD meds: Asacol, Entocort, Prednisone, 6MP, Humira, Remicade, Azathioprine, Librax.

Symptoms are still uncontrolled.
Fistula developed January 2011.
Resection on February 3rd, 2011.

My poor gut and my poor butt!

10-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #35
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Interesting poll.

Let it be noted that factory farm cows and dairy farm cows are constantly fed antibiotics their whole life and many have Johne's Disease.

JUICING! click here!
10-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #36
sarahsoda29

Lots of ear infections, bloody noses, flu during my childhood. I've always been the "sick kid" in my family. Even as an adult anytime I get the sniffles I end up with antibiotics for an infection, or bronchitis.
10-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #37
UncleChuckSucks

I was on antibiotics for years as a teen (like 6 years) for acne. It cured the acne, but I have always wondered if it also caused my UC. Nothing I can do about it now...
10-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #38
PatriceK

As a kid I did take antibiotics I suffered from chronic ear infections. And was diagnosed with Crohns at age 8
10-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #39
j.bug
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Lots of ear infections, bloody noses, flu during my childhood. I've always been the "sick kid" in my family. Even as an adult anytime I get the sniffles I end up with antibiotics for an infection, or bronchitis.
I was, and am, exactly the same. Tubes in and out of my ears several times, antibiotics many times as an infant, allergic to everything, always getting bronchitus, upper resp...etc...

DX CD Terminal Ileum May 2012
DX Esophageal CD May 2012

Meds

*Pentasa *Hyoscyomine *Protonix *Gabapentin *Xanax *Wellbutrin *Ultram *Flexeril
*Vitamin D3 *B-12 injections *Iron *Remicade
*Weekly IV Fluids W/Banana Bag

Today I will fight again!!! I will not let this disease own me, or define me!!!!

10-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #40
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I know this thread is old but I voted no way back because apparently I didn't know. I actually was given antibiotics as a kid for an ear infection.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
10-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #41
Jam300

My Support Groups:
Once or twice I think, no more than is normal for a child.
Currently undergoing re-assessment.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Did you have Antibiotics as a kid?