Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group

05-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group

About this Support Group

This support group is for those who are out on temporary or permanent disability or whom are unemployed. We can offer one another support and guidance on the issues we face.

Members

4chablis, afidz's Avatar afidz, AirCooledChillerMech's Avatar AirCooledChillerMech, akk0309, aleshanicole's Avatar aleshanicole, Ali29's Avatar Ali29, Allison M, Amy2, Andysmom, Ann Morgan, Annieor24, AutumnKirsten's Avatar AutumnKirsten, Brear's Avatar Brear, brenda1's Avatar brenda1, bumdeal87's Avatar bumdeal87, camille.d's Avatar camille.d, carbuncle's Avatar carbuncle, ccec213's Avatar ccec213, ccsysto, CD mom's Avatar CD mom, CeeCeeGo's Avatar CeeCeeGo, ChrisCrohn's's Avatar ChrisCrohn's, christina57, Ckoenig's Avatar Ckoenig, Crohn's gal since 1989's Avatar Crohn's gal since 1989, crohns0249's Avatar crohns0249, curlywurly, darster's Avatar darster, darubo, DebiM, DLTooley, Dolphin, Donk4263, duh panda's Avatar duh panda, durwardian's Avatar durwardian, emilyt804, Emmy's Avatar Emmy, exit4's Avatar exit4, Firefly1971, ForeverCrohns's Avatar ForeverCrohns, gadgetninjette91's Avatar gadgetninjette91, getbrid805, ginar695, gloworm49, hillcountrygirl, HorseLover!!'s Avatar HorseLover!!, indianhart's Avatar indianhart, irinabj, Irishkelly, itsmebabs, Jacksik, javanov's Avatar javanov, JaynthBusi, jazzygirl52, Jennifer's Avatar Jennifer, Jeschalen, Jessi's Avatar Jessi, Jimmy Lee, jkd1111's Avatar jkd1111, JM1's Avatar JM1, jMendez86, jonsey53, juac, juggys69's Avatar juggys69, jumpingjacks99, Kit's Avatar Kit, krika's Avatar krika, kristihelene's Avatar kristihelene, laura75, lblair's Avatar lblair, leibee's Avatar leibee, lifesover's Avatar lifesover, lookame's Avatar lookame, lservies's Avatar lservies, LylahJean's Avatar LylahJean, mammykautz, MarexoBear, Marie23's Avatar Marie23, mcate238, MDB, mdd, Medwards30, Megeraldo3, Mike58's Avatar Mike58, misterdave, mixiestar's Avatar mixiestar, moishepipik's Avatar moishepipik, Molly-Baby, Momoftwo's Avatar Momoftwo, More Than Pickles, Morrish's Avatar Morrish, mrbundy, mrBundy83's Avatar mrBundy83, musicislife52's Avatar musicislife52, Nbca, nogutsnoglory's Avatar nogutsnoglory, Paddy Holmes's Avatar Paddy Holmes, pain in the butt, patrick13, PDXDave, peluchde's Avatar peluchde, pink&green's Avatar pink&green, prblcse, Red89's Avatar Red89, ronroush7's Avatar ronroush7, RosaleeMae's Avatar RosaleeMae, rrhood1's Avatar rrhood1, Rylan, sarahh5397, scarlett, Scoocha's Avatar Scoocha, Sfrank, shambeyla, spingirl's Avatar spingirl, sriramkaimal, Stardust_Fiddle's Avatar Stardust_Fiddle, Tara1971, taylorali's Avatar taylorali, Taysyd1231, Tiger09, Timothy65's Avatar Timothy65, tired and sick, TrustingNHim's Avatar TrustingNHim, twokatmew's Avatar twokatmew, UnXmas's Avatar UnXmas, valb, valleysangel92's Avatar valleysangel92, Wildmtnhoney's Avatar Wildmtnhoney, Write2bheard, xSeneca's Avatar xSeneca, xxjemmamxx's Avatar xxjemmamxx

Last edited by nogutsnoglory; 08-01-2014 at 02:48 PM.
05-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Is anyone familiar with the unemployment pay system in the U.S.

Do I file in person or online? How long does it take to get approved?

I also need to apply for COBRA. I believe my former job is mandated by law to send me the appropriate paperwork?
05-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Husband says you can apply for unemployment online and that its faster that way.

I receive SSI for Crohn's and don't work. If anyone needs help with applying for SSI I can help answer questions.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
05-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
ryansbronco

My Support Groups:
Is anyone familiar with the unemployment pay system in the U.S.

Do I file in person or online? How long does it take to get approved?

I also need to apply for COBRA. I believe my former job is mandated by law to send me the appropriate paperwork?
yes on the system for almost two years

online is the best way. It takes about two weeks. Once you file you have a wait week. Then the next is cash. Also apply for food stamps. I got almost 200 a month. Check with your hospital theyll get you on cobra
05-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Ill definitely apply online than. I didn't think of food stamps, good idea.

It's very frustrating being unemployed but also not being fully healthy and up to go on interviews and be proactive in the job search.
05-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
ryansbronco

My Support Groups:
long long shot but some states have a medical plan
05-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Jennifer
Adminstrator

So do some counties Ryan. You can google search health care for low income in your city and state.
05-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Hi guys. I work in the Unemployment Insurance program here in Utah. I am in the side that collects the funds from the employers, but I have some knowledge. In Utah applicants are required to apply online. If somebody comes into an office to apply they are sat at a computer to file online.

You will have a waiting week, then will start getting benefits. Here the applicants get a card and the benefits are posted on that card every two Weeks.

In Utah the claimant is required to search for a job, but it is only 2 or 3 job applications a week they have to report. The job search can be problematic for us Crohnies.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
05-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #9
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Don't newspapers count though? I remember my dad only looking for jobs in newspapers when he was on unemployment and he never applied anywhere because there was nothing in his field.
05-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
My concern is I think I need to show up weekly at an office to prove I have been looking for a job. I know my parents said that's how it used to be but maybe it changed.
05-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
DougUte

My Support Groups:
My concern is I think I need to show up weekly at an office to prove I have been looking for a job. I know my parents said that's how it used to be but maybe it changed.
That has probably changed. Most likely that is handled online now. I can't guarantee it, but the trend is to move away from people physically coming in. everything is done online.
05-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
ryansbronco

My Support Groups:
In my old state (ive moved since unemployment) online is fine. You'll need to keep a log of how where when you looked for work. The state will call you in for an audit. So when you look for work online use the email as the person you contacted. Otherwise phone or on site grab the persons name.
We have a program that you will do online that puts your resume on the sate employment web site. Every now and then they will send you a job match. You don't have to apply, but you should. Those job report back to the state. In theory if you don't apply for the jobs they sent you could loose your funding.
05-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
Dragonfly72

My Support Groups:
Hi there, I hope you guys don't mind me asking a question.... How long have you not been able to work? I have been out of work now since my hospitalization for 2.5mos and may have to be out the rest of June. I have just completed my 3rd remicade infusion but had a lot of pain/pressure 1 week prior to it and my GI is afraid it wore off and I didn't make it the 6 weeks, so we are going to see how I will do throughout the next 8weeks... Watch and wait! Anyway, I was wondering is it normal to have to be out this long or longer? My energy levels zapped by the afternoon and i am still trying to get my bowels regulated and put on weight. I am a nurse who works 10 -12 hour shifts. I am currently collecting short term disability but, I just worry about my employer getting to the point of enough is enough.... Does this make any sense? Thank you, I hope I posted in the right area🙏. Thank you, Michele

Meds:
Remicade
6-MP
Hycosamine
Prozac
Vit-12
Calcium with D
Zofran
Birth control
Klonopin
Tylenol
Colace
Mirilax
05-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
DougUte

My Support Groups:
The longest I have been put was for my surgery.It was 6 Weeks. I was officially on FNMA leave and was paid through my accumulated sick leave.

If you are on FMLA they need to hold a position for your return. It doesn't have to be the same job you left, but it has to pay you the same wages.
06-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
Ya noy

If you still live in New York, I'm fairly certain that has changed and you shouldn't have to physically go to the unemployment office, and should be able to take cre of everything on-line. Yes, technically you have to be looking for a job, usually unemployment requires you apply for at least 2 jobs a week, but applying for jobs on-line counts -- just make sure you keep a record of the jobs you apply for, just in case you are ever required to produce proof of your job search, but they rarely check up, and no, I doubt that you will have to actually ever provide proof of your job search.
06-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #16
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I can apply but I'm not healthy so part of me hopes I don't get called for interviews till I'm fully ready.
06-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
ryansbronco

My Support Groups:
My old roomate was on the system for almost two years. Just set your job profile super high like only want $12 an hour or higher, no travel, must have medical, only put in a few skills and the minimuim info they require
06-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
I've been away from the forum for a while, I've been having an attack of the blues and lost all interest in communicating. Having come across this thread I notice that there are no posts from the UK. I've tried to get some sort of benefit as I'm seriously barely able to leave the house , quite apart from doing a job. Agrophobia brought about by my ileostomy which is VERY active. I've got short bowel syndrome as they've had to remove such a lot of bowel...so how does anyone think I am in the benefit stakes?
I feel I should qualify for disability as I cannot function out of my home. The present UK government has made it almost impossible to qualify for that beneit. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Last edited by Paddy Holmes; 06-09-2013 at 07:04 AM. Reason: spelling error
06-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
While filing my application for unemployment I noticed a section that said are you disabled? It was mandatory to fill out but the options were yes, no or decline to comment.

I read the criteria and disability refers to not just physical handicaps but diseases like Crohn's. I felt unsure how to answer the question not knowing if it could help or hurt me so I declined to comment. I'm not sure if that is seen as a red flag.
06-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I've been away from the forum for a while, I've been having an attack of the blues and lost all interest in communicating. Having come across this thread I notice that there are no posts from the UK. I've tried to get some sort of benefit as I'm seriously barely able to leave the house , quite apart from doing a job. Agrophobia brought about by my ileostomy which is VERY active. I've got short bowel syndrome as they've had to remove such a lot of bowel...so how does anyone think I am in the benefit stakes?
I feel I should qualify for disability as I cannot function out of my home. The present UK government has made it almost impossible to qualify for that beneit. Does anyone have any advice for me?
I see no harm in trying Paddy Holmes. Have you read through this? http://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/d...AdultGuide.pdf It walks you through how to apply and explains how you're eligible.
06-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #21
Kit

Hi all, I am sorry to hear that so many of you can't work! I actually decided to quick my job of 15 years. I went down to part time after being diagnosed, and was only working 20 hrs a week. I sympathize with Dragonfly on not being able to work for long hours of time. I too was in the health care field (Physical Therapist Assistant). It became too mentally and physically challenging for me and I couldn't do much else than work. @Dragonfly, i had a surgery in Feb 2012 and was off work 8 weeks after surgery and then went back with very limited hours, 9 hrs working up to 20 hrs in a 6 week period of time. I had disability time built up so I only had to not be paid for a couple weeks. FMLA is 12 weeks, but that only guarantees a job, not payment for the time off. You also cannot have taken any large amount of time off that year, or it counts as part of the 12 weeks. I am actually doing well intestinal symptom wise and all blood work looks good, but energy levels vary and I need a lot of breaks. I am blessed that I have a husband who can support us for a while. My physician didn't even say anything about disability, so I am thinking he thinks my symptoms don't warrant it. Ok sorry the rambling and I hope this has some helpful info.
06-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #22
xxjemmamxx

My Support Groups:
Just thought I would post on here as I am going to be leaving my part time job soon. I have been really struggling with it for months and it is making me unhappy. Fortunately now I am in a position where I can afford to not work and we can sufficiently survive on my husbands income. I'm looking at this as a positive thing for a number of reasons; I'm not in a job I can see myself doing for the rest of my life anyway, I can concentrate on finishing my degree, I can have the time and flexibility to travel, rest, volunteer and study from home and I have an opportunity to really get my disease under control before I venture back out into the world of work. Plus my job is just not suitable for a Crohnie at all and my employers have really harsh sickness policies meaning that I have to go through disciplinary processes for having 3 or more absences in a 12 month period and at the minute I am at 2 in the space of 6 months...(one for surgery one for coming down with a bad cold that I still can't get rid of)

My job is very physical and I really struggle with fatigue and some symptoms even though I'm in remission. I am incredibly nervous about handing in my notice though - I keep putting it off! I'm really scared about leaving employment as I've always worked.
06-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #23
Kit

@jemmam---Thanks for sharing your story! It sounds a lot like mine, except for going back to school and you look younger! I am 48 and have not worked for almost 2 months now. It is so nice to be able to rest when you need to and do things in life again. I would consider myself in remission as well, but fatigue still seems to be a problem, though it has improved since surgery.
I hope all goes well with handing in your notice. I had the support of my employer, family and friends which helped. I am just trying to get a healthy routine and balance rest with doing things. Not so good at it yet!

Good luck to you Jenmam and keep us informed on how things go!

Kit
06-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #24
xxjemmamxx

My Support Groups:
Thanks for that lovely reply Kit It is so good to actually hear from someone who has been there and done that.

I have the full support of my husband and most of my family (not including the ones that think Crohn's is a walk in the park or a different kind of IBS) which really helps. Fatigue is my biggest enemy right now! It's only been 6/7 months since my surgery after a bad flare so I'm still trying to get everything under control and figure out where I stand at the moment. Bloods show vitamin deficiencies so I'm working on those and hopefully when I have a scope and CT scan later this year things will become more clear. I'm not sure I will have the support of my employer as I don't believe they take me very seriously and I will be leaving them in a very difficult situation by leaving (short staffed etc).

When you left your workplace did you explain to them why you were choosing to leave? I'm expecting them to ask me why I'm leaving/what I'm doing next and I'm not really sure how to answer that. They know I'm struggling as I've told them many times and even got my IBD nurse to write to them but I don't think they realize how unhappy I am.
06-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
Kit

@jemmam----Well I had an advantage that I worked for a hospital system and I have worked with my manager 15 years. All that said, she knew exactly what I was going through and was watching my performance which was getting worse. I couldn't keep up the pace, and my mind didn't work as fast as it needed too for being a Physical Therapist Assistant.

As for what I told people, my closer friends I told them the job had become too mentally and physically challenging for me. My manager knew everything, but we chose to tell people I was retiring from the hospital system. On my resignation letter I put that I needed to take care of myself for a while and the job had finally taken a toll on me mentally and physically. I might have shared too much, but I am a pretty honest person.

I did have people tell me I need to take care of myself and no one else will. Employers think about the business and need to make decisions accordingly. They can have compassion to a degree, but the bottom line is that they need follow what upper management has outlined for the business. Also you will just find people who aren't supportive.

Unfortunately Crohn's is very hard to explain to someone that doesn't understand sicknesses in general. Here is something my sister found for me. It isn't about Crohn's but another auto-immune disease lupus. It made soo much sense to me. http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wp...-spoon-theory/

I hope this helps and feel free to ask me questions or private message me if you want. I would love to support you through this.
06-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #26
xxjemmamxx

My Support Groups:
Hi Kit,

Thought I would let you know that I handed in my notice today! I just explained that I thought it was the best thing for me and although my manager was upset that I'm leaving she understands. I'm going to be helping my husband with his business as well so I also said that I wanted to work from home which is ideal for me. She actually said that I had done so well this past year considering how difficult it has been for me. I honestly feel like the weight of the world has lifted off my shoulders

You have it spot on about business and the extent of their understanding. This is something we have to face wherever we work unfortunately.

I have read the spoon theory before, I love it! It explains everything so much better than I ever could myself.

I have 4 weeks left to go at my job now!
06-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
twokatmew

I had to stop working in 2004 after a 20+ year career in IT. I was diagnosed with Crohn's is 1975 at 13, and I always have to be on at least 5mg prednisone to keep Crohn's relatively well controlled. It was getting more and more difficult to work, and when I finally had surgeries in 2004 & 2005, that was it for my career. I was devastated at first, but once I started to reap the benefits of not practically killing myself by working and not having the energy to take the best care of myself, I began feeling much better about not working.

Anyway, just thought I'd say "hi" and offer any advice to those applying for SSDI. Because I had to go to court to get approved, I get reviewed every three years. I'm due for another review this year. Every review is a bit nerve wracking, but my docs support my disability status, and deep down I know I wouldn't be here if I hadn't finally given up working.
06-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #28
xxjemmamxx

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear that Crohn's put an end to your career in IT but it does sound like it was the best choice for you and your health is so much more important.

I'm sure there are some people on here who could benefit from some advice about SSDI and best of luck with your next review.
06-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #29
twokatmew

Thank you!

4 Beta
07-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
Kit

@twokatmew Thanks so much for sharing your story! I am glad you were able to take the steps to be able to take care of yourself. Those are hard decisions to make when you think you should be working. Thanks for the encouragement for the forum. Unfortunately I don't think disability is an option for me due to the fact I really am in remission, I just have fatigue issues still and was stuggling with work and life.
@jemam I hope things are going well for you and you can make it through the next 4 weeks.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group