• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reducing Inflammation through Diet - Is this working?

I've recently (2 months ago) went gluten and dairy free and noticed it has reduced my Faecal Calprotectin results.

Faecal Calprotectin Results (Normal <60)
May 2016 - 120
Aug 2016 - 140
--- Gluten free diet started
Dec 2016 - 100

Can the results vary this much day-to-day or do you guys think that this is proving the diet effective? I'm not using any other drugs.

I have been gluten and diary free for 2 years, not strictly either but fairly constantly. I didn't notice any big difference initially, like not life changing differences. But now I'm starting to look back and realise that my gut is much more stable, food tolerances are nearly gone completely. I very rarely have a flare and it's usually alcohol related when I do. So I think over time it has put my disease more or less into remission.

Scipio

120 -->140 --> 100

Those numbers are not highly elevated and look to me like routine up-and-down variation within the normal range.

One thing to remember about FCP is that stool is highly variable day-to-day, week-to-week in its composition. Thus stool-based tests are often "noisier" than what we are used to with blood tests.

120 -->140 --> 100

Those numbers are not highly elevated and look to me like routine up-and-down variation within the normal range.

One thing to remember about FCP is that stool is highly variable day-to-day, week-to-week in its composition. Thus stool-based tests are often "noisier" than what we are used to with blood tests.
Yeah I did wonder how much they can vary depending on what you have eaten that day. It will be interesting to continue the diet to see if it stays stable or even goes down further.

Every blood test I've had have always come back normal. This is the only way I can really keep track of things since I don't have symptoms.

Lab results are not the direct result of dietary changes, to my mind. Mental well-being, feeling socially integrated, connected with friends and family etc., realising one's aims and so on also changes brain transmitters which then alter body function. Also when you cut out gluten, do you eat gluten free bread instead or more vegetables? Does not need to be gluten itself though, if eating more vegetables etc.
Complex issue though.

Lab results are not the direct result of dietary changes, to my mind. Mental well-being, feeling socially integrated, connected with friends and family etc., realising one's aims and so on also changes brain transmitters which then alter body function. Also when you cut out gluten, do you eat gluten free bread instead or more vegetables? Does not need to be gluten itself though, if eating more vegetables etc.
Complex issue though.
I made a few changes at once.

I now eat gluten free bread and also upped the fruit and vegetable intake. Also having a nutribullet smoothie every day packed full of lots of fruits and veggys.

I was also recommended to take a tea spoon of slippery elm powder (natural anti-inflammatory to help protect gut) 20mins before eating a meal. I really don't enjoy doing this but have been taking it when I can.

Do you think the increase in vegetables is most likely to have caused the decline in inflammation?

I have gone dairy free and my calprtectin level went from the 300's to 80! I don't know if there is any link but a big coincidence if not. I am less bloated. I've just done another test and will see what happens with that. I am currently not on any medication which worries me slightly as I don't want my insides to get worse and there's no real way of knowing what's going on!