• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Drugs and Reasearch

M

mikeplatt8

Worms

I would eat worms if all my UC would go away for sure!!! Without a doubt. But also all these other drugs do really look promising, I hope we find a cure or a good medication.

M

meowsie

DannyB said:
Worms may well be the cure Mike!!!!!!
Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "I'll just go eat worms" doesn't it?! :lol:

D

DarrylP_Ajax

That new form of Prednisone that only gets released in your colon, eliminating most common Pred side effects soudns pretty damn good, i would be up for taking that instead of regular Pred at the drop of a hat...scientists/doctors need to find cures faster lol....or develop stem cell research for intestines....i think that would be the coolest cure, grow me a whole new intestine and just replace my entire plumbing, lol

J

jlbastian

This helminthic therapy has had unbelievable results! I have talked to two guys in Switzerland and one in Iowa who have been on it for a little over a year and have been doing extremely well.

It makes so much more sense to me than pumping rat poision remicade through my veins, or the evil prednisone.

Michigan state just picked this up as a trial study, and my dr. is looking to get a few of his patients involved.

http://www.ovamed.de/english/home/home.html

and if you just type in "Pig Whipworm therapy for IBD" thee are tons of results on search engines. Good to see the info about this is spreading.

X

xrayzerase

this info on this pig-worm sounds very interesting...
i know i am going to read more on it ....and ask my dr about it if it sounds possible to try ..(?)

S

Skinsfan1229

The worms are very expensive. Although I have talked to someone that has used them, and they said they actually helped tremendously and if they had the money they would get more. I believe its a company in Germany are making this. These are more expensive then remicade by far in most cases, depends how much you spend on remicade, mine ranged from 2,600 to 7,200 dollars.

The other "form" of prednisone, pretty much they are just trying to come up with medication just like prednisone except with less side effects, which is what Entecort(budesinide) is.

X

xrayzerase

wow...that is expensive (for the worms..)(if more than the remicade) i guess insurance won't touch things not yet approved..or..whatever (?) -don't know how much the remicade will be for me yet-but..i hope insurance helps a bit if i start it.
i have been reading some on the worms though..and..to hear you talked w someone who benifited from them is good..

Last edited:
S

Skinsfan1229

Yea the worms probably would be more along the lines of a herb-supplement area, I dont think they woudl treat it the same as regular medications, kinda strange, they would have to have different giudelines I would hope.

X

xrayzerase

true...
i just wish there were some safer way to treat this-or-whatever the meds out there do...
i admit it--the meds like remicade and 6mp scare me...but..i guess i have to get over that..

C

CanadaCurt

Does it bother anyone else that all these Drug companies do is try to find new ways to treat diseases like ours rather than find a cure. I truly believe that their is validity in the theory that bateria infection causes crohn's. I think the truth is the drug companies don't want us cured, they want us to stay sick because sick people buy drugs and if they can make sure that the drugs are a lifelong requirement, all the better for them. These people are lining their wallets with the pain and suffering of people like us. What was the last disease they actually cured...polio I think...like 50 years ago. Sorry for the rant but this pisses me off!

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I am totally with you too! They just keep pumping us with more and more drugs and the fine print shows how much interaction there is between drugs. You get something that does something good, maybe something holistic or alternative, and the FDA crawls out of their skin! Of course, what can we expect from drug companies when we can't even get rid of gas auto engines (without paying A LOT for the car thus making it cheaper to keep what you've got and pay the gas prices).