• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Skin boils

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Crohn's can cause a wealth of Extra Intestinal Manifestations. Erythema nodosum does start out as an abscess/boil and is common in the lower legs but can pop up in other areas of the body. Have you seen a dermatologist? Sorry for the late response 723crossroads. :)

No, but I keep saying I will. I do have those red patches on my shins that started out itchy. They are finally just red patches now. But not real big. I haven't gooten a new boi;l lately, but they just show up sometimes. It's weird.

nogutsnoglory

Do they just spontaneously disappear or do you need some treatment? I agree it would be good to discuss it with your GI and a dermatologist. Something is causing this predisposition and maybe there is something that can help inhibit their growth.

No, they don't just disappear. It takes me cleaning them with antiseptic and I put Neosporin on till they go away. I did ask a Dr. about it and he said if it continues a lot then they would give me a few rounds of antibiotics which I am afraid to take because they really screwed me up last time with the bowels. I had an infection in my tooth and had to get a crown and they put me on really strong antibiotics and then again because they were worried it would come back after they did the crown. I flared for awhile after that.

nogutsnoglory

Do you use hibiclens on them? It's a really powerful antiseptic that is used in hospitals. Antibiotics may help when you get boils but it wouldn't prevent new ones from forming unless you are constantly taking antibiotics. I guess they aren't sure what to use to prevent it.

I got three of them when I first started Remicade. The doctor said it's a combination of immune suppression and inflammation that causes them in Crohnnies-but some people are more prone than others. I needed antibiotics and surgeries on mine, they went from small to huge in a few days.

Hi
I am newly diagnosed. In the last couple of days I have two big red lumps on my legs, I assumed insect bites (I usually get a allergy to bites when abroad) these are very similar, hard red lump, hot to touch, but I couldn't see a puncture mark for a bite, so wonder if it is related to Aza (4 weeks in) or Crohns.