• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Insurance in U.S. for non U.S. citizens

Hello, I am a 24 year old Korean and I have diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis since 2009. I tried a lot of medication and for about a year my doctor switched me to Remicade infusion. It has been working great on me.

In 2008 when I was first diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in Korea when I was a senior in high school. I thought I wouldn't be able to go into college, but I safely graduated undergrad and now I am a graduate school student.

Right now I am planning to go to the states to get a Ph.D, but there is one well a big problem.
I need to get Remicade infusion every two months as well as other medication. The problem is I'm not sure if non-US citizens can apply for health insurance in the states even if they have ulcerative colitis.

Do you know anybody living in the US who is a non-citizen that has ulcerative colitis?
Do you know what insurance they have?
Do you know how much it costs to get Remicade infusion for a non-US citizen?

I really want to continue my studies, but I feel like my conditions has become more than an obstacle for me. It is stopping me from pursuing my dreams and I feel like nobody understands me. I would be grateful if you could provide me with some advice.

Thank you.

Last edited:
There are college exchange programs for which you can study in the U.S. So long as you're here legally, I would guess insurance can be bought through the university. Universities offer students health insurance, though I believe quite expensive.

I'd recommend you check out the university in Korea in which an exchange program is possible.

If you hope to study here by picking up a student visa, you'll need to talk to the local immigration office. I imagine if you're here legally, you can purchase insurance. However, pre-existing conditions make insurance VERY expensive.

I'm a non-US Citizen and didn't have any issues getting insurance. Insurance companies must also now cover pre-existing conditions. Good luck!

There are college exchange programs for which you can study in the U.S. So long as you're here legally, I would guess insurance can be bought through the university. Universities offer students health insurance, though I believe quite expensive.

I'd recommend you check out the university in Korea in which an exchange program is possible.

If you hope to study here by picking up a student visa, you'll need to talk to the local immigration office. I imagine if you're here legally, you can purchase insurance. However, pre-existing conditions make insurance VERY expensive.
When I was a graduate student (30 years ago :eek:), my health insurance was through my university. I suspect that has not changed, but I don't know. I would apply to the universities you are interested in for your PhD work, but before you pick one, I would talk with them about your insurance concerns.

As an aside, what is your field of study? Mine was in chemistry.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had to pay extra Justin, though that hasn't been my experience. I don't know whether it differs because my insurance is through my husband's employer but I haven't had to pay any more that anyone else. My Dr's also accepted my British medical records rather than starting again trying to get a diagnosis.

I'm a U.S. citizen, but I know the university I attended a decade ago offered student exchange programs.

Unfortunately, I was self insured, and the rates kept rising. These days, I'm uninsured which has been difficult. I saw doctor after doctor for a very long time and couldn't find a listening ear.

Suffice to say, insurance companies hate paying money. If you're under a group policy through a job, rates are negotiated by the employer. For a period, I was self employed, because my health has been horrendous. Now, I'm just flat out unable to work. Thus, no insurance.

I don't wish Crohn's upon anyone. Interminable nightmare. Doctors told me anything from there's nothing wrong, to gastric dumping, to IBS, to celiac, etc. All the while, I was getting increasingly sicker.

I use to be severely overweight at 5'3 230 pounds (though still very sick). I dropped to 109 pounds and quit eating I'd been complaining since about 13 or 14, but the last few years all hell broke lose.

Time I found a listening Dr, the pain was through the roof and Ive been very sick. In the last year, I've made 21 trips to Cleveland Clinic (4 Hrs away), 6 or 7 Surgeries related to Kidney Stones, and 4 Emergency roo visits. My left kidney is loaded with probably 25-30 6mm (1/4th) to 1cm (1/2) inch kidney stones. My right kidney has more and is severely undersized I guess from stones / infection. I've battled low potassium. low vitamin D, and on and off anemia.

I've gained some weight back. I'm around 125 now. Taking Entocort. But I've got a LONG WAY TO GO.

Suffice to say, no insurance company is going to touch me for a reasonable price. If you are sick, they CAN CHARGE an arm and a LEG.

Hi,89red. I got very similar situation as yours.
I have Crohn's and I am planning to pursue my PhD in the US.
I do not know whether I can get my Visa and medical coverage.
Hope there is someone who can share related information.

Take a look at a University grad school website for some info. This is Cornell U. info for grad students and it mentions international students. It looks like the require grad students to buy the Cornell U Student Health Insurance Plan
http://www.studentinsurance.cornell.edu/cms/insurance/graduates/selfpay/index.cfm
If you click on related links you can see what it covers and cost http://www.gannett.cornell.edu/cms/pdf/insurance/upload/SHIP-Overview.pdf

You definitely don't want to pay for remicade out of pocket unless you are Bill Gates!

Hope this helps!

Hello guys,

I'm from Brazil and I have a similar situation: I just applied to a job in the US and it seems that I have good chances to be accepted, but I still couldn't find if the US Health Insurances cover pre-existing conditions. Does anyone knows if they cover it?

By the way, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 2013 and after some medical tries the only one which worked for me is Remicade, and I've been taking it since then (Brazilian government covers 100% of the Remicade costs )

The U.S. gov websites says (see below) but it could change again due to politics.

Pre-Existing Conditions
Under current law, health insurance companies can’t refuse to cover you or charge you more just because you have a “pre-existing condition” — that is, a health problem you had before the date that new health coverage starts.

These rules went into effect for plan years beginning on or after January 1, 2014.

What This Means for You
Health insurers can no longer charge more or deny coverage to you or your child because of a pre-existing health condition like asthma, diabetes, or cancer. They cannot limit benefits for that condition either. Once you have insurance, they can't refuse to cover treatment for your pre-existing condition.

One Exception: Grandfathered Plans
The pre-existing coverage rule does not apply to “grandfathered” individual health insurance policies. A grandfathered individual health insurance policy is a policy that you bought for yourself or your family on or before March 23, 2010 that has not been changed in certain specific ways that reduce benefits or increase costs to consumers.

Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) Coverage
The Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) ended on April 30, 2014. The PCIP program provided health coverage options to individuals who were uninsured for at least six months, had a pre-existing condition, and had been denied coverage (or offered insurance without coverage of the pre-existing condition) by a private insurance company. Now, thanks to the Affordable Care Act, health insurance plans can no longer deny anyone coverage for their pre-existing condition, and so PCIP enrollees can transition to a new plan outside of the PCIP program. Learn more about your health insurance options at HealthCare.gov.

https://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/about-the-aca/pre-existing-conditions/index.html

my little penguin

Staff member
Check with your future employer
Above US laws apply to US citizens
If your employer is providing insurance then you may be ok depends on the insurance
Non us citizens have different rules
But if you have to get it on your own ......