• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Type of Magnesium to take?

Hi everyone,
I've been doing some research and it seems to be recommended that people with Crohn's take magnesium. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to type of magnesium or brand that is reputable - it's hard when there is about 100000 products out there!

Also, if I don't know what my magnesium level is, what is a safe amount to take?

Thanks!
Kiera

What I do is a little different, but it works for me. I take two tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia, mix it into a liter of water, and then over the next day or two slowly drink it. I had read about this idea working decently well for those with sensitive GI systems, and from my experience it's true.

I've not tried it, but have also read of some people having good success taking magnesium taurante. It seems to cause less GI issues.

As for the amount to take, David probably will have a better idea than I do. Each type of magnesium for sale has different amounts of elemental magnesium in it. (I think the correct word to use is elemental! Might be wrong on that.) I do know that it is often recommended that those taking the commonly sold magnesium citrate to take 200mgs in the morning and 200mgs in the evening.

An article that might be helpful - it has recommendation on the amount of magnesium glycinate and magnesium malate to take. Dr. Davis's piece mentions that both forms of magnesium are less likely to cause diarrhea.

"Homegrown osteoporosis prevention and reversal"

http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/2010/09/homegrown-osteoporosis-prevention-and-reversal.html

David

Co-Founder
Hi Kiera,

Anything but magnesium oxide as it isn't absorbed very well by the body.

How much to take? That's a tough one. The tolerable upper intake is listed as 350mg per day for adults (you can have as much DIETARY magnesium as you can handle eating), however, this paper suggests 600mg for the first month for people who are deficient.

As too much magnesium can cause a laxative effect and too little may leave you deficient, it's a balancing act. I would be sure to supplement under the supervision of your doctor but make sure they're aware that the current serum magnesium reference range is bad and you can have normal serum magnesium levels but negative body stores and thus still be deficient. In addition, active inflammation in the terminal ileum region and/or resection there also needs to be taken into account for dosage as that is where magnesium is primarily absorbed.

Be sure to read the labels of those bottles carefully. Some will say magnesium citrate and contain it, but the primary form they contain is magnesium oxide with a little citrate so they can BS you with their marketing. If it says magnesium oxide as an ingredient, go to the next one.

You should really get tested before supplementing anything, there are specific reasons some people with Crohns need to supplement Magnesium if you are not in that category then you don't need it.

David

Co-Founder
You should really get tested before supplementing anything, there are specific reasons some people with Crohns need to supplement Magnesium if you are not in that category then you don't need it.
What kind of testing would you suggest? And what are the specific reasons some people with Crohn's need to supplement magnesium?

Thanks!

Yes, I used to do epsom salt baths but figured magnesium spray was alot more convenient. Never took before and after blood tests so not sure how effective it is but I did enjoy my epsom salt baths. Very relaxing, not to mention anytime I had a muscle sore or sprain it fix that ache by the time I got out.

absolutly take magnesium.

magnesuim citrate powder in a capsule not in a drink mix as citric acid chelates minerals from tooth enamel.

i have tried amino acid chelated by albion distributed by bluebonnet brand and other manufacturers, and there was no comparison. citrate is the way to go.