• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD: do I really née to start with beginner diet?

SCD: do I really née to start with beginner diet?

Thinking about starting the SCD diet and was wondering why you really need to starting the beginners diet and not just jump right into the regular diet?

I've been tapering off pred and I need to try something different diet wise.

Begin at the beginning. And don't miss the all important bone broth, is what I am doing for the second time, with our son.

Begin at the beginning. And don't miss the all important bone broth, is what I am doing for the second time, with our son.
What exactly do you mean by don't mess with the bone broth? Did you son see improvement from this?

Thank you for the help

Miss, not mess. :) I got some grass fed beef bones yesterday and I am cooking them for 36 hours, so my son can start the intro diet again, properly, tomorrow. The bone broth is supposed to be very healing to the gut and key to the diet.

If you read the book you'll understand. The Intro kills off all the bad bacteria. Slowly adding in new foods will enable you to figure out which ones bother you and which don't. Sometimes a food will bother you in the beginning but later you can eat it as the good bacteria are built up and your gut heals. I say heals, but if you went back to the SAD you'd probably develop problems again so remission might be a better word.

You could always just try jumping in. It works for some people. I'm in remission on Imuran and just jumped in. However, I am having some cramping and fatigue and a lot of gas so I'm going to be forced to go back to the beginning and go slower.