• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A thread for people for whom just walking constitutes exercise

I wanted to start a thread for anyone out there like me, who can't do any kind of strenuous exercise at all.

A couple of days ago, I got discharged from a month-long hospital stay, during which the only exercise I did was walking from bed to bathroom. Now I'm home, and am supposed to not walk for more than ten minutes a day. I know I could do a lot more - and probably will; not moving just doesn't feel right to me.

I'm extremely underweight, and weak. I can't bend or lift anything, as my stoma recently prolapsed and I have a hernia.

I just thought it might help to have a thread to inspire people who can't even think of going to a gym or going out running (whether that's a long-term or short-term circumstance), to remind them that even a little walking can be a big achievement. Walking upstairs despite pain or exhaustion can be as challenging as an hour work-out in the gym is for healthy people.

Is anyone else very limited in the exercise they can do, but is trying to get fit and healthy within those limitations?

afidz

Super Moderator
For several different reasons, my lungs can't expand because of always swollen ribs. I can't walk from my bed to the bathroom without some type of abdominal support. Add that with fatigue, leaving the house for any reason is strenuous

nogutsnoglory

Even walking is tough for me with my fibro and osteoperosis but I'm forcing myself to try to reclaim my body. I get out of breath and dehydrated fast and my bones feel like cracking. Normal for a young guy right? Nope. I am bitter with this crap already.

Even walking is tough for me with my fibro and osteoperosis but I'm forcing myself to try to reclaim my body. I get out of breath and dehydrated fast and my bones feel like cracking. Normal for a young guy right? Nope. I am bitter with this crap already.
Have you had fractures from the osteoporosis? I have it and have always been told it has no symptoms until you get a fracture, which I've found to be true - I wouldn't know I have it if it weren't for the DEXA scans, and I've been lucky enough not to have broken anything yet. If you're getting pain without having any bones broken, it's probably not from the osteoporosis.

I've been told that walking and some other low-impact exercises are good for osteoporosis, and can actually help improve bone density.

Good for you for keeping going, I think it's natural to feel bitter about things sometimes.

nogutsnoglory

I haven't broken anything but DEXA shows risk. Doctor said I'm young so it's less likely right now. The pain is probably fibromyalgia.

Prior to surgery I was a 17 stone weightlifter and built like a brick s**thouse.
After surgeries I had dropped to below 12 stone and remember struggling to walk across hospital ward to window and back.
When I got home, I was regularly increasing my walking from just one room to the other, then to garden, then end of road and so on.
I gradually got my fitness level back up only to see it drop againat next surgery. In order to mimimise upper body muscle wastage, I asked physio in hospital for a resistance band and came up with quite a good workout regime I could do from hospital bed.
I am now out of hospital but awaiting further surgery and have staryed weights in gym again although an abscess in abdomen keeps throwing a spanner in the works. Despite this have now managed to get weight back up to 14 and a half stone although this has been a slow process.
Basically I would advise to just keep plugging away and doing whatever you can, no matter how little it may seem. You are unlikely to see big changes as you go along at first but when you start to look back over the weeks and months you will start to see it has been worth it.

When I got home, I was regularly increasing my walking from just one room to the other, then to garden, then end of road and so on.
I gradually got my fitness level back up only to see it drop againat next surgery.
That's exactly what's happened with me in the past year or so (though unlike you, I certainly wasn't in good shape before the surgery!). After surgery last Autumn, my "exercise" consisted of walking out to the garden and standing in the fresh air for a few minutes. I gradually got better, then had emergency surgery last April, and haven't really got better since then.

Keep pushing. I certainly found it harder second time around. Not sure if this was just because my problems were a lot more severe after second surgery but suspect that there was also a psychological aspect to it with me feeling that after all the effort first time around only to get knocked back down again that it may not all be worth it.
Having said that, it is a real boost seeing people I have not seen since at my low point and hearing positive comments.

My urgent surgery was surgery number seven, so I understand completely what you mean about feeling there's no point when you're only going to get sick again anyway.

My recent hospital stay wasn't for surgery, it was purely to try and get some weight on me and figure out why I just can't stop loosing weight. The doctors were completely amazed at how much I can eat and yet fail to gain any weight, but they couldn't find the cause - there was a lot of inflammation in my small intestine, but they didn't think it was enough to justify the weight loss. They've scheduled a pill cam for me next to see how bad the inflammation is in the parts of the intestine where regular scopes can't reach.

So I feel like giving up on eating and weight gain, since weight seems so outside of my control. But I want to be able to take my dog for proper walks. That's my goal at the moment!

Good for you for keeping going. The better shape you're in when you have the next surgery, the easier the recovery will be.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I was told to walk after my resection to help wake my guts up.I think I walked more to keep my sanity.I appreciated it was good to 'wake my guts up'.It was equally important that walking helped keep me sane in the hospital.

I got an inguinal hernia my first day home from the hospital.That was the end of last November.The hernia was operate on in February.I tried going to the gym and aggravated the hernia.That put me in a funk.

I kept telling myself I'd get back to the gym when I was able to.I was depressed because I was physically unable to do much of anything.I had a hard time helping around the house,never mind going to the gym.

We had a hard Winter that seemed to last until June.Once I could safely walk on the road I live on,I did.I even snowshoed,or tried to,to stay active.:)

I had a fistulotomy and three setons placed a month ago.My body waits until my mind is ready to get back into life again and then throws a monkey wrench into the works.

S,o,o,o...a long winded way of saying I feel fortunate to be able to stay active with walking.The more I get used to the setons,the more I will walk.

Maybe I'll treat myself to a new pair of sneakers.I'll tell myself it's just another needed medical expense and throw the receipt on the ever growing pile of CD related bills. :ybatty:

Would one of those hand peddler things be an option to start building up stamina? I have seen a few people with injuries use them and it seems to make a difference for them. Could do it while watching tv too...

I was told to walk after my resection to help wake my guts up.I think I walked more to keep my sanity.I appreciated it was good to 'wake my guts up'.It was equally important that walking helped keep me sane in the hospital.
I was told to walk after my surgeries. During my last stay in hospital, I was told to use a wheelchair everywhere - even from bed to bathroom (though I ignored that!). I definitely agree, walking keeps you sane. It frustrated me so much that I wasn't supposed to walk. I'd leave the ward and walk anyway every now and then.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I'd leave the ward and walk anyway every now and then.
The nurses had made 'trail maps' of the wing my room was on.They had the whole floor mapped out with how many laps would make a mile.There were several trails to chose from.They made posters with each trail having a different color and these posters were hung throughout the floor.

I shuffled many a mile during my stay.The last couple of days I didn't have to wheel the IV stand around.With a lighter load I was able to tackle the more advanced trails on my floor.:)

The nurses had made 'trail maps' of the wing my room was on.They had the whole floor mapped out with how many laps would make a mile.There were several trails to chose from.They made posters with each trail having a different color and these posters were hung throughout the floor.

I shuffled many a mile during my stay.The last couple of days I didn't have to wheel the IV stand around.With a lighter load I was able to tackle the more advanced trails on my floor.:)
I had something similar after my surgeries, though the hospital I was in was not so creative - they just have yellow lines along the floors for you to follow. I also used to go along dragging my drip stand!

In Dec was hospitalized with asthma, flu and 4 weeks later had Cholycystecyomy. I did not have the energy to start walking until March of this year. I am gradually increasing the number of days. Only walk a mile. But now up to 4 days a week. During my flare ups I stop all excercise than have to build my self back up again. I'll never be able to run. I make it a point to keep walking because that's all the excercise I'll ever be able to do.

FYI I read somewhere that magnesium is used in the processing of lactic acid, so that may be why with my low magnesium -when I do go for a walk, I feel like I have run a marathon pain wise.

It kicked off a major ache & chill thing for me which seems to be one of my major symptoms. Maybe I should have my magnesium checked!