• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do others get frequent cold sores?

Hi does anyone on here get lots of cold sores ? I never got them then over the last two years... I now have two (a matching pair) on my lips and they are just aching.. I'm taking lisine, Zovirax but my gastro suggested anti-viral meds. I'm scarred to add another drug to my system but think it has got to a point where I have to ;(. Can anyone share their experiences with me?

Hi Anita,
I usually get cold sores at least once a year and I've been getting them since kindergarten. So far I am pending to see a GI and I am still new to digestive issues. For me cold sores would always accompany a fever and as a child I would take the over the counter liquid childrens fever medicine, I also used zovirax in the past but as I got to high school I would really only rely on abreva because it was convenient. Last month I had three cold sores on my mouth but I didn't have any abreva on hand, or medicine or anything so I just left them and they went away in about a week.

They used to be difficult for me but over the years I've gotten used to them. The one thing to keep in mind with them though is to wash your hands after touching your mouth or eating finger foods, etc. that's what I was taught as a child. No kissing either.

If they get to the point where they scrab, crack, and bleed try using Neosporin or Vaseline, they help ease that.

You could ask your doctor to prescribe some Zovirax cream. I would Not take any pills though. They have side effects. You cannot kill viruses so taking oral meds is like chasing the virus around the block, it is useless. You have to strengthen your immune system in order for them to calm down...

Hi there!

I have always been prone to cold sores even years before Crohn's came on the scene. I usually get a small one as part of my PMT, so that's almost every month, but not always. Zovirax cream is pretty good. After starting azathioprine I was given acyclovir tablets to take when I got run down and had 5 cold sores straight after each other and it certainly helped to keep them down in size and soreness and they healed up quicker. I also get them in my nose, but I can put up with them better as they're not obvious to everyone else, even if they are still uncomfortable.

I will certainly reserve the oral acyclovir for when things are bad, and I use the cream for the usual cold sores that I get. It is a good idea to get the tablets prescribed and at home so that you can take them immediately if you need to, otherwise by the time you get hold of them it's already too late. I was also advised by a pharmacist that you should finish the course if you do take the tablet form, just in case the virus develops a resistance and then you are in trouble if you need stronger meds for shingles or suchlike in the future.

I also find that the patches that you can get to put on them (I use Compeed cold sores patches) are good in the first stages as the film cover helps to stop the blisters getting so big.

I can thoroughly sympathise with you. It makes me feel like I'm walking around with something the size of a small house stuck to my face!!!

I get cold sores constantly and i mean CONSTANTLY. whenever i get a tingle i take Aciclovir (active ingredient in zovirax) tablets and it literally stops it in its tracks. because im on remicade i take double dose and i personally havent had side effects. i also put cream on it and literally gone before it even fully comes up

Question - are you certain they are cold sores? If your B12 level is low, you can get cracking in the corners of your mouth that look and feel similar to cold sores. If you are certain, afraid I don't have much to add. If not, give a little B12 a try...

Thanks so much guys. I fel like I look like an animal. They bug me and hurt soo much when I talk and I need a straw to drink now. Ill see the gp on Monday and try get some tablets as the Zovirax cream is not doing much. I have a job interview in a week so hoping they are gone by then. Thanks again xx

Question - are you certain they are cold sores? If your B12 level is low, you can get cracking in the corners of your mouth that look and feel similar to cold sores. If you are certain, afraid I don't have much to add. If not, give a little B12 a try...
I get both. The corners of the mouth thing is definitely a B12 thing, but I get cold sores after Remicade sometimes (I am also on Azathioprine, so double whammy).

For me, foods high in Arginine often trigger cold sores (peanuts, coconut, any other nuts, chocolate, wheat, dairy, etc). When I feel one starting, I take Lysine tablets and use acyclovir ointment - usually stops them quickly. Do a search on Lysine and cold sores...

I guess, if your cold sores are due to a weakened immune system, the dietary stuff might not matter.

Thanks for your support all!! Had the interview today and the medical for the job with my twin set cold sores...... A matching pair ... Not sure how I went but the interviewers didn't seem as concerned as I was... Lied a little and said I just had a cold as opposed to a flare but shhh our secret Xxx

Hi!
I've been having trouble with cold sores as well. I started with one, was using Abreva on it, it faded, then it came back again with its twin on the other side of my mouth. The second one has gone away again, but the original one remains after three weeks and 3+ tubes of Abreva. Any suggestions?

Hi!
I've been having trouble with cold sores as well. I started with one, was using Abreva on it, it faded, then it came back again with its twin on the other side of my mouth. The second one has gone away again, but the original one remains after three weeks and 3+ tubes of Abreva. Any suggestions?
I am experiencing the same thing exactly right now. I had a sore that finally after about 2 weeks of Abreva started to go away, and now 3 days later is coming back full force with a friend on another part of my lip. The throbbing is terrible this time, and I am fed up. I am going to see my GP today.

I am experiencing the same thing exactly right now. I had a sore that finally after about 2 weeks of Abreva started to go away, and now 3 days later is coming back full force with a friend on another part of my lip. The throbbing is terrible this time, and I am fed up. I am going to see my GP today.
Hi there,

So I got a prescription for Zovirax after my last bout with 4 cold sores at once. It totally worked! I got another cold sore two weeks after the first round, took the Zovirax as directed, used a little Abreva (and by a little, I mean for two days), and used this stuff made of petroleum jelly and benzocaine to keep the pain down and cracking to a minimum and it was the fastest healing I have ever seen. Someone also suggested using the Zovirax on the day of my infusion to try to prevent them.