• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diet while Pregnant

I recently found out that I am pregnant which was a huge surprise to me and my husband. I'm still figuring out what works/doesn't work for me and my Crohn's (I was only diagnosed a year ago). I know it's going to be incredibly important to stay healthy and eat the absolute best foods possible, but knowing that there is quite a bit I should avoid with my Crohn's is making it hard for me to figure out where to start. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on foods they ate/stayed away from while pregnant?

Thanks in advance!

Lady Organic

Staff member
I would invite you to look at IBD-AID diet in my signature for ideas and take a look at the Diet section of the forum for other ideas. Good luck with pregnancy:)

You can Eat
1. Dairy products
During pregnancy, you need to consume extra protein and calcium to meet the needs of the growing fetus
2. Legumes
This group of food includes lentils, peas, beans, chickpeas, soybeans and peanuts.
3. Sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are very rich in beta-carotene, a plant compound that is converted into vitamin A in the body.
4. Salmon
Salmon is very rich in essential omega-3 fatty acids.
5. Eggs
Eggs are the ultimate health food, because they contain a little bit of almost every nutrient you need.
6. Broccoli and dark, leafy greens
Broccoli and dark, green vegetables, such as kale and spinach, contain many of the nutrients that pregnant women need.
7. Lean meat
Beef, pork and chicken are excellent sources of high-quality protein.
8. Fish liver oil
Fish liver oil is made from the oily liver of fish, most often cod.
9. Berries
Berries are packed with water, healthy carbs, vitamin C, fiber and plant compounds.
10.Whole grains
Eating whole grains may help meet the increased calorie requirements that come with pregnancy, especially during the second and third trimesters.
11. Avocados
Avocados are an unusual fruit because they contain a lot of monounsaturated fatty acids.
12. Dried fruit
Dried fruit is generally high in calories, fiber and various vitamins and minerals.
13.Water
During pregnancy, blood volume increases by up to 1.5 liters. Therefore, it is important to stay properly hydrated

You can Eat
1. Dairy products
During pregnancy, you need to consume extra protein and calcium to meet the needs of the growing fetus
2. Legumes
This group of food includes lentils, peas, beans, chickpeas, soybeans and peanuts.
3. Sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are very rich in beta-carotene, a plant compound that is converted into vitamin A in the body.
4. Salmon
Salmon is very rich in essential omega-3 fatty acids.
5. Eggs
Eggs are the ultimate health food, because they contain a little bit of almost every nutrient you need.
6. Broccoli and dark, leafy greens
Broccoli and dark, green vegetables, such as kale and spinach, contain many of the nutrients that pregnant women need.
7. Lean meat
Beef, pork and chicken are excellent sources of high-quality protein.
8. Fish liver oil
Fish liver oil is made from the oily liver of fish, most often cod.
9. Berries
Berries are packed with water, healthy carbs, vitamin C, fiber and plant compounds.
10.Whole grains
Eating whole grains may help meet the increased calorie requirements that come with pregnancy, especially during the second and third trimesters.
11. Avocados
Avocados are an unusual fruit because they contain a lot of monounsaturated fatty acids.
12. Dried fruit
Dried fruit is generally high in calories, fiber and various vitamins and minerals.
13.Water
During pregnancy, blood volume increases by up to 1.5 liters. Therefore, it is important to stay properly hydrated

Thank you so much for this!