• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What Else? Seriously...

I have been dealing with back pain for the last few weeks, I had a herniated disc and have been working through that. Started physical therapy today. Just received a call from my doctor with my x-ray results. I found out that I also have mild degeneration in my spine which equals Osteoarthritis. I already have a compression fracture from Osteoporosis in my spine that is about 5 years old.

Seriously? Sometimes I laugh when I want to cry. Dealing with Crohn's Disease is enough. However, now I have Crohn's Disease, Iron Deficiency Anemia, B12 Deficiency Anemia, Osteoporosis (from long-term Prednisone use), Migraine Headaches, Anxiety, and now to add Osteoarthritis? I'm only 40.

I am a bit frustrated today by all of this...just wanting to vent a little. There are days I do well with everything, but I am not having one of those days. UGH.

Anyone else have Osteoarthritis issues? Is this related to Crohn's (autoimmune issues) as well? I am assuming so, but don't have much information about it.

Thanks everyone for listening to me vent...I feel great that I can post here and actually have people understand!

I believe osteoarthritis can be related to crohn's. How long have you been on stelara? I know that remicade has some anti-arthritis properties and would hope that stelara does too. Take care of yourself, and definitely keep your medical team up to date on all that you are going through.

I have some arthritis in my hips/lower back from crohn’s, and unrelated osteoarthritis in other joints. You’ve got a lot on your plate! I started to get sick after my last child, at 38—daily migraines, celiac disease, then crohn’s. How are your migraines? I’ve gotten them for over 40 years but they became daily after I had my younger daughter. I wouldn’t wish them on anyone. Do you take a triptan for them? Plus you’ve got anemia and B12 deficiency. I admire your ability just to get through the day. Do you get iron infusions and B12 shots? Sorry I can’t help but wanted you to know I understand and am rooting for you.

I believe osteoarthritis can be related to crohn's. How long have you been on stelara? I know that remicade has some anti-arthritis properties and would hope that stelara does too. Take care of yourself, and definitely keep your medical team up to date on all that you are going through.
I have been on Stelara since February of this year. It has really helped my Crohn's! It would be great if it helps the arthritis problems too.

I have some arthritis in my hips/lower back from crohn’s, and unrelated osteoarthritis in other joints. You’ve got a lot on your plate! I started to get sick after my last child, at 38—daily migraines, celiac disease, then crohn’s. How are your migraines? I’ve gotten them for over 40 years but they became daily after I had my younger daughter. I wouldn’t wish them on anyone. Do you take a triptan for them? Plus you’ve got anemia and B12 deficiency. I admire your ability just to get through the day. Do you get iron infusions and B12 shots? Sorry I can’t help but wanted you to know I understand and am rooting for you.
I have been getting migraines since I have been on the biologics (last 6 years). It seems a bit related to me, but who knows. They are awful! They have been daily lately with the weather change (I live in northern Indiana). I take Metoprolol daily for prevention and Maxalt as needed when I get them. The Metoprolol helps a lot in prevention as I used to get them daily. Now it is just when I am stressed or if the weather changes.

I do get iron infusions (about 1 or 2 a year) depending on how I am doing and I get b12 injections every 4 weeks. They keep me going! And coffee keeps me going too :)

The migraines certainly could be caused by biologics. The good news is that phase three trials for the new CGRP drugs were just completed with good results. Ironically, the drugs themselves are biologics—monoclonal antibodies designed to block CGRP which is elevated in migraines. One of them, Fremanezumab, has demonstrated really positive results, especially in the reduction of chronic migraines. I’m quite excited about them as I’ve tried literally every preventive drug on the market, and have been prescribed a number of others off-label. Neurologists describe them as the first actual preventive medication developed specifically for migraines. They might come on the market as soon as next year. I take axert as my acute medication but if I take it more than 3 times a week I get really bad rebound headaches. It’s interesting that they started when you began taking a biologic. Mine are definitely genetic; there’s a strong family history and all three of my children get them, my younger daughter’s are so bad she takes both nortriptyline and celexa as preventives. I hope the weather settles down soon so you can get a respite.