• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help finding a doctor in maryland

Hi, i'm new to this forum and my name is JJ. I have had crohn's disease since I was 14 and am now 22 years old. The reason I started an account here is because I REALLY need help finding a doctor. My crohn's has progressively gotten worse over the years, and medicines that used to be helping are now doing absolutely nothing whatsoever.... the only thing that helps me any more is pain medication. If I go to the hospital due to pain from my crohn's they will hook me up to an IV and give me medication for as long as I stay, and they will write me a perscription for around 20 5 mg percoset for when I leave. needless to say, this RX is definately not cutting it. When I used to be in colorado I was perscriped opana and that drug worked GREAT. I now moved to maryland though and doctors here absolutely refuse to put me on any type of opiate pain treatment. They keep switching my medicines and NOTHING is helping. I really need to find a pain doctor in or NEAR maryland (I am willing to travel a state or two.... not too far though, like I've heard Florida for example is very liberal with helping people with pain meds but that is a 23 hour drive for me). I'm not a junkie and am not looking to get pills to get high.... it's just really began to affect my life and I even lost my last job for calling out so much due to pain. Someone please help me.... I need it bad. oh and insurance wouldn't matter, I'm about to lose mine at the end of the month (result of losing the job I was just talking about....)

thank you so much in advance if anyone can help.

I live in MD it is extremely hard to get meds here. Too many people do it to sell them on the street. My GI refuses to prescribe them and he knows exactly what kind of pain I am in. When i can't bear it any more I go to the ER and get some morphine injections and they will send you home with some meds that don't help. I wish you luck though.

I agree the rx they give at the hospital doesn't help whatsoever, they always give percoset 7.5 or vicodin which is even worse

It's ridiculous though I've called sooo many diff pain places and no one wants to give me anything since the doctor's not recommending it.. you know?

do you think i need to find a different GI instead of looking for a pain management place?

I'm not sure where you are in MD but I can recommend a great GI doc with offices in Laurel, Tacoma Park and Ellicott City. Maryland Digestive Disease Center. They are great. My doc is Dr. Lawrence, but any of the doctors at that office are truly wonderful. I am sure they will prescribe whatever you need to be healthy and comfortable. They know what they are doing, never doubt you or question you, and don't hesitate to prescribe whatever it takes. I highly recommend them.

marylanddigestivediseasecenter com

Dallies

Dragonfly
Sorry I can't help you, but I would like to welcome you to the forum JJ. I hope you get some good advice. x

I'm not sure where you are in MD but I can recommend a great GI doc with offices in Laurel, Tacoma Park and Ellicott City. Maryland Digestive Disease Center. They are great. My doc is Dr. Lawrence, but any of the doctors at that office are truly wonderful. I am sure they will prescribe whatever you need to be healthy and comfortable. They know what they are doing, never doubt you or question you, and don't hesitate to prescribe whatever it takes. I highly recommend them.

marylanddigestivediseasecenter com
great thanks, i'll have to go see this doctor when I get insurance again. I live iun baltimore county but really don't mind driving a long distanse in order to see a good doctor. the doctor i've been seeing up until now is a complete asshole- for example recently his office changed their phone number so i called his cell phone to find out what the deal was, and he flipped out on me saying that "he told me once and will not tell me again that i need to call the office and never call his cell phone again" then hung up on me. his name is dr shwartz by the way - just so you know who to stay away from lol

great thanks, i'll have to go see this doctor when I get insurance again. I live iun baltimore county but really don't mind driving a long distanse in order to see a good doctor. the doctor i've been seeing up until now is a complete asshole- for example recently his office changed their phone number so i called his cell phone to find out what the deal was, and he flipped out on me saying that "he told me once and will not tell me again that i need to call the office and never call his cell phone again" then hung up on me. his name is dr shwartz by the way - just so you know who to stay away from lol
GOOD LUCK!! I lived in Balt co my whole life to a year ago and NOT one GI or any hospital doc could dx me!! They took out my appendix, gallbladder, cut my bile duct and Stinted it etc which was NEVER the problem. I moved to york pa almost two years ago and last year I FINALLY got the dx of crohns . (Well my doc is totally unsure if it's colitis or crohns but starting to lean more crohns- she don't want to dx the wrong one) . The doc up here had me on tramadol for 8 months and stopped that. That's a non narcotic and they still stingy on it. GOOD LUCK. I heard smoking pot works?? I haven't tired as I have a three year old. (NOT READY FOR ALL THAT YET)