• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain on right side under rib cage

I have been having a pain on my right side under my rib cage and not sure what it is. I was thinking maybe my gall bladder or liver? It hurts all the time, but I notice it more after I eat. It also feels like something is protruding, but I don't mean when I feel it with my hand, but visually in my head is what I mean when I try to picture the pain. Does anybody else have this problem or had it before? If so could you please guide me in the right direction about what to do or what it is?
Thanks

Are you diagnosed with Crohn's? That sounds a lot like my pain when I have inflammation in the terminal ileum.
I'm sorry. Yes I have Crohn's and everytime something different starts it makes me feel like I'm going to die from thus disease and it just scares the crap out of me. Fear is my worst enemy. I will have to do some research on terminal ileum. Not sure what exactly that is. I have read alot about my disease, but I don't remember if I read about that part or not. I was dignosed in 2006 with Colitis then in 2008 with Crohn's.

I think it's essentially where your small bowel ends, and it's a really common place for people with Crohn's to get inflammation.

Well your doctor may want to run tests to see whether that's what it actually is, but both times I've had it confirmed, I went on steroids for a short time and that took care of it. Good luck - I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. Are you getting any other symptoms?

Well your doctor may want to run tests to see whether that's what it actually is, but both times I've had it confirmed, I went on steroids for a short time and that took care of it. Good luck - I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. Are you getting any other symptoms?
I have to make an appointment for my anual this week. It has been three years since I had a colonoscopy. The last two times I had them they kept my in the hospital and I don't have insurance, so that is why I have not been to have one in three years.
Not any other symptoms except for joint pain so bad I can barely walk when I get up. I have never been so weak in all my life. I take a really good multi vitamin and I thought that would help but it hans't.

Ok so this is a classic sign that something is wrong in your Gastro tract . The pain you feel is more than likely spasm although right under the rib cage is the location of the Gaul bladder and also the general area of a few other important organs.
First thing is go and see you doctor , while your waiting for your appointment start a food diary . Write down what you eat each day . Highlight what gives you discomfort and how long after eating. What happens next do you get diarheoa and is there and blood or mucus. I know this all sounds gross but keeping a diary of your daily goings on will be very helpful for your doctor and it will help you identify some trigger foods.
Joint pain does tend to go hand in hand with IBD and so does lack of energy . If your intestines are inflammed then they will not be able to absorb the nutrients form your food so you will feel knackered. Also if your passing any blood you will feel very tired as you will be anemic .
Go see your doctor and they will surely help you even just treat the symptoms in the meantime.

You could also have an inflammed stomach (Gastritis).
what meds are you taking right now? Some meds are extremely hard on the stomach and you might need to take an otc med to help the lining of your stomach (dont want to get ulcers from the meds).

I agree, you should see your GI and find out what exactly is going on.

Hope you get it figured out soon.

You could also have an inflammed stomach (Gastritis).
what meds are you taking right now? Some meds are extremely hard on the stomach and you might need to take an otc med to help the lining of your stomach (dont want to get ulcers from the meds).

I agree, you should see your GI and find out what exactly is going on.

Hope you get it figured out soon.
Thank you:>) I only take Lialda and I take 2/day.

Ok so this is a classic sign that something is wrong in your Gastro tract . The pain you feel is more than likely spasm although right under the rib cage is the location of the Gaul bladder and also the general area of a few other important organs.
First thing is go and see you doctor , while your waiting for your appointment start a food diary . Write down what you eat each day . Highlight what gives you discomfort and how long after eating. What happens next do you get diarheoa and is there and blood or mucus. I know this all sounds gross but keeping a diary of your daily goings on will be very helpful for your doctor and it will help you identify some trigger foods.
Joint pain does tend to go hand in hand with IBD and so does lack of energy . If your intestines are inflammed then they will not be able to absorb the nutrients form your food so you will feel knackered. Also if your passing any blood you will feel very tired as you will be anemic .
Go see your doctor and they will surely help you even just treat the symptoms in the meantime.
It doesn't feel like spasm. I hahve had spasms before and that's not what it feels like. I will start a diary now so I can tell my doctor what I'm eating. Yes it is gross, but the facts. I'm used to it. Thanks for then info.

afidz

Super Moderator
yea, isn't that awesome! not to side track this thread, but in Novemeber I was taking Asacol HD. It gave me "D" and bad joint pain (I was in remission) . A week later I was in the hospital with pancreatitis.

yea, isn't that awesome! not to side track this thread, but in Novemeber I was taking Asacol HD. It gave me "D" and bad joint pain (I was in remission) . A week later I was in the hospital with pancreatitis.
I used to take Asacol too. Then when it quit working they put me on Lialda. What were your symptoms of Pancreatitiss? Just curious.

Ok I'm finally back. I have Crohn's and have had it since 2008. Went to my gastro doctor and had an ultra sound done last week to find out what the pain is under my right rib cage and the doctor said my kidneys look fine, liver looks fine, I have gall sludge, not actual stones and he cannot tell me what the pain is from. I don't know where to go from here. It always hurts and never goes away. Does not matter what I eat either. The only meds I take are Lialda and Nutrient 950 daily vitamins from the health food store. I don't take anything else, no over the counter medicines or anything. Can anyone out there tell me if they have experienced this without finding any results? It does not make sense to me that it hurts, but nothing is wrong? I am really getting aggravated with this and would love to find somebody who just might have an answer. I hope I didn't forget anything.

Nope he sure didn't. I'm just scared because I keep thinking it is cancer or something like that. I don't know if cancer shows up on an ultra sound or not. I forgot about the pancreas.

afidz

Super Moderator
when my pancreas acted up the pain was horrid. It would radiate through my back and I would have intense spasms under my ribcage. I have never felt anything like that. and it was a mild case
Is Crohn's flaring for you right now?

Wow, the pain is uncomfortable, but it is not unbearable so it may not be the pancreas. I have had kidney stones before and that is definitely some unbearable pain.
No my crohn's is not flaring at all.

could it be gastiritis? this could mean that your stomach lining is very irritated or that you might have Crohns in your stomach as well. Sometimes you can have gastritis without having Crohns in your stomach.

Gastritis:Gastritis occurs when the lining of the stomach becomes inflamed or swollen. Gastritis can last for only a short time (acute gastritis), or linger for months to years (chronic gastritis).

Crazy I know but I have never heard of gastritis and I have done alot of readimg on Crohn's too. I guess I will have to check on that as well. It makes it very hard not having insurance trying to pay for all these tests they want me to do.

Sick of Sick you remind me of me :D

I think it easy to let our heads run away with our worst fears when we get a strange and sometimes miserable symptom. I have HUGE health related anxiety, I have been doing a lot of cognitive reframing on my own to try and not panic now when I get symptoms. This is as far as the psychological aspect.

For the physical though I was just diagnosed I am surprised you have Crohn's and are not being treated with medication besides for lialda?

The pain you are describing also sounds to me like something terminal ileum related and I say this only from my experience. I get pain under my rib cage in various places often. In the beginning because often stomach trouble would follow I thought I was having a heart attack or dying. I still get sharp pains here and there in various areas and yes usually under the cage on the right or left like beneath my breasts. My pain however comes and goes and definitely worsens when my stomach is acting up. If I eat something that upsets me it will feel as if I am having a heart attack.

I am on entocort steroids. They target specifically inflammation of the terminal ileum. I am 3 weeks on them and felt awful the first couple of weeks, but now this week I have felt good and am crossing my fingers that it is working!

I would suggest if it has been that long since you had a colonoscopy that you have another to check?

When you were originally dx'd where did they say your crohn's is located? And how did it present?

Other than that, hang in there yeah? it is not easy to have pain and not know why and go about your day to day life in a regular fashion. Be kind to yourself and it looks like (being on here) you are already taking some excellent positive steps toward working through things and getting the information you can to feel a little more at ease.

Yes it is very easy for me to let my mind run wild because I am terrified of dying although people always say you won't know it anyways. Well that doesn't help me. I think about it all the time and it is very hard to live my life day to day going through this. My husband just does not understand and it makes it worse for me.
First I was diagnosed with Colitis back in Dec 2006 and then Dec 2008 I was diagnosed with Crohn's. Both of those times I had extreme unbearable pain which I took myself to the hospital for because I thought I had food poisoning. If only that had been the case, but I was not that lucky. I used to take Asacol and that stopped working, then a ton of Prednisone, then enticort, remicade and now Lialda and nothing else except the great vitamins I take. My last colonoscopy was 2008 and I am terrified to go get another one because the last two times I went in 2006 and 2008 they immediately put me in the hospital and just the thought of going back there scares the hell out of me. I know that's crazy, but that is just the way I am, so that's why I have not gone back to have another one. I let too much of fear control me and I know I shouldn't do that, but I do.
I don't remember where they said the Crohn's was located originally to be honest with you. I have no idea. Both times with colitis and crohn's (before) I knew what I had the pain was on my right side, but low and very intense. They had to put a wet rag in my mouth to keep my from screaming in pain when I went into the hospital in 2008. That is how bad the pain was. I thought I was dying from the inside out.
Most foods I eat don't bother my stomach at all. I have been doing great except for the pain under my rib cage. It was pretty intense last night, then this morning it's gone and now it's back.
Amazing you were just diagnosed. I am so sorry to hear that and I pray that things will get better for you. I guess the reason I get so scared is I do way too much reading on the doctor internet sites about different things or pains that I feel and then I think that is what it is. I don't want to stop reading though because I am trying to keep myself up to date on what this disease can do and is doing to my body. It has destroyed my hair for sure, my joints, muscles and my way of living. It's very hard being with somebody who just doesn't understand Crohn's and doesn't take into consideration how I feel most of the time. I have asked my husband to read about it, but he won't, so not much I can do about that. I appreciate your information. I go back to my doctor the 30th of this month and I'm almost positive he will make me get the colonoscopy this time around since it has been so long. That is a good think I know because maybe I can find out what is going on inside me.
Thanks again.:)

hello sick of sick do you find the cause of your pain please tell me im going to be crazy

No I still have not found out what it was. Been through all kinds of tests and they still can't tell me anything. It started acting up again last week and today has been the worst pain I have had in a while. I still have no idea what it is and my doctor thinks it is all in my head.

Just reading this old thread as I have been googling "pain under right rib cage" because I have been having pain there for 3 days now. I have mild ulcerative colitis (with no known flare ups in 20 years) and I also have Celiacs disease. I'm convinced my pain is from being "glutened". Just wondering if you have been tested for Celiacs as well?

Yes it is very easy for me to let my mind run wild because I am terrified of dying although people always say you won't know it anyways. Well that doesn't help me. I think about it all the time and it is very hard to live my life day to day going through this. My husband just does not understand and it makes it worse for me.
First I was diagnosed with Colitis back in Dec 2006 and then Dec 2008 I was diagnosed with Crohn's. Both of those times I had extreme unbearable pain which I took myself to the hospital for because I thought I had food poisoning. If only that had been the case, but I was not that lucky. I used to take Asacol and that stopped working, then a ton of Prednisone, then enticort, remicade and now Lialda and nothing else except the great vitamins I take. My last colonoscopy was 2008 and I am terrified to go get another one because the last two times I went in 2006 and 2008 they immediately put me in the hospital and just the thought of going back there scares the hell out of me. I know that's crazy, but that is just the way I am, so that's why I have not gone back to have another one. I let too much of fear control me and I know I shouldn't do that, but I do.
I don't remember where they said the Crohn's was located originally to be honest with you. I have no idea. Both times with colitis and crohn's (before) I knew what I had the pain was on my right side, but low and very intense. They had to put a wet rag in my mouth to keep my from screaming in pain when I went into the hospital in 2008. That is how bad the pain was. I thought I was dying from the inside out.
Most foods I eat don't bother my stomach at all. I have been doing great except for the pain under my rib cage. It was pretty intense last night, then this morning it's gone and now it's back.
Amazing you were just diagnosed. I am so sorry to hear that and I pray that things will get better for you. I guess the reason I get so scared is I do way too much reading on the doctor internet sites about different things or pains that I feel and then I think that is what it is. I don't want to stop reading though because I am trying to keep myself up to date on what this disease can do and is doing to my body. It has destroyed my hair for sure, my joints, muscles and my way of living. It's very hard being with somebody who just doesn't understand Crohn's and doesn't take into consideration how I feel most of the time. I have asked my husband to read about it, but he won't, so not much I can do about that. I appreciate your information. I go back to my doctor the 30th of this month and I'm almost positive he will make me get the colonoscopy this time around since it has been so long. That is a good think I know because maybe I can find out what is going on inside me.
Thanks again.:)
Wow I can relate to every single thing you mentioned in that from the fear of hospitals. The exact pain which lead me.to this. The non understanding partner. The fear of dying or getting cancer. Literally had to read it several times to make sure it wasn't something I had posted in the past elsewhere. Also just got back from the hospital and also didn't get a diagnoses from the pain under rib. My personal oppinon is inflammation of the bile ducts im going to try some steroids and see it helps but on top of all this I also suffer from a phobia of pharma drugs which leads to severe anxiety problems. It really is a living hell inside my body/head. Anyhow I signed up just to let you know your not alone and I deeply sympathise with you. I hate crohns with a vengeance I also suffer diverticulat disease and ankylosing spondylitius and arthritus all caused by a autoimmune disease i absolutely hate who i have become im juat a shell of the person i used to be and almost bed ridden at just 37. Out of all tbis i think the thing that gets me down the most is my partner not understanding she expects me to be able to keep up with her energy wise and want to go out and do things all I want to do is hide away from everyone and everything I have had pain in my body for over 13yrs now and I honestly cannot remember what it's like.to be pain free

Last edited:
Lukejade,

Thanks so much for your reply. So you think the pain under your right rib is inflammation of the bile ducts? I never ever thought of that. Definitely something to consider. Believe me, I am terrified of the pharma drugs and also suffer from anxiety a lot. As you mentioned, this disease has completely made me a different person than I used to me. I am always in pain and it never stops. Nobody seems to understand. They say oh just come on and go out with us. You will have fun and forget all about it. How I wish it was that easy.
Something I have used for quite a while to control my inflammation is Boswellia AKBA. I buy it from one of the top supplement companies in the U.S. and it really isn't expensive. I don't know if I am aloud to put the names of companies on here, but if you would like to know, just send me a PM and I will tell you. I take 1200 mg per day. No side effects and it takes up to 30 days for it to get fully into your system. I was blessed back in February of this year from a friend who gave me the money to go and have my colonoscopy done and an endoscopy. I about fell out of my chair when my doctor told me my colon looks better now than it has ever looked and that it does not look like I will need to have it removed now. The relief that went through my body is indescribable. I wanted to jump for joy, but was still coming out of the sedation. lolo I said then it must be the herbs I have been taking and he said whatever your doing, keep it up. That in itself made me feel so good like I had finally conquered the world or something. I take many herbs now to keep myself healthy and I feel better now than I have in years. Not 100%, but a lot better in general. Yes I still have the pain, but I can deal with it better now. I also found an herb for anxiety as as I mentioned above, it does take at least 30 days to get into your system and it sure does help because before I had anxiety so bad, I would go and sit inside the closet and close the door until I felt safe. Such a horrible thing to deal with when you have no idea what your actually afraid of.
The thing that aggravated me and I told me doctor so was when I asked him to check and see what the pain was under my rib when he did the colonoscopy, after I came out of the sedation, I asked again about that and he said he didn't see anything, but it is probably trapped gas. I exploded and said trapped gas does not stay with you day in and day out and I don't even eat anything that causes gas. I said it has to be something else. He did say that I might want to be checked for gallstones which I do think I have, but needless to say, until I can get insurance, I will have to suffer through that until I can find out.
Thanks once again for your reply and I sure hope you start doing better. Let me know if there is anything I can do. I'm always here if you need to talk.:>)

Hi, I'm new here from the UK. Female 47, don't drink v much, non smoker, walk 3-4 miles a day with dogs and clean eating apart from the odd Mc D and chocolate! I was admitted to hospital four weeks ago with the exact pains you speak of. My gall bladder was removed 8 years ago for gall sludge so it was not my gall bladder per se but the doctor confirmed your body can still produce the sludge which in some cases can end up in the pancreas or liver if the bile duct becomes blocked. I had an ultrasound which showed nothing. My liver tests came back as elevated but not of major concern but it was inflamed. I then had a CT scan with dye. I was told the imaging showed extensive colitis which I had never heard of. Once it was explained to me I was in shock as I can honestly say I have never had any of the classic symptoms I continue to read about, albeit I have had chronic constipation since I can remember and occasional piles which have a small bleed. I had lost half a stone in two weeks up to being admitted. When asked about family history I knew my two maternal uncles died of cancer of the large bowel and one of those uncles daughters just 57 years died just week of Crohns. I emphasised to the doctor my concerns that the colitis was an incidental finding and not to ignore the excruciating pain under my right ribs right under my right breast which went up into my chest, I found it hard to breath, had shoulder tip pain and the pain radiated around the back into my left shoulder and up the right side of my neck. He offered no opinions and released me for urgent. Colonoscopy and endoscopy with biopsy which are due in 2 weeks time. The pain in my ribs subsided but is still there niggling away. I also get bad pain on and off at the mid point where the ribs meet. It is only natural to want to research your symptoms and like many folk on here I've probably scared myself silly. I know my pains are not in my head but I'm exhausted. My concerns are whether the colonoscopies/ endosconopies will examine my bile duct or the ilieum area which others have mentioned. I am more concerned about my liver and what is happening to that than the colitis. I am not jaundiced. I'm aware UC can cause liver problems and fingers crossed it isn't that.

Hi, I'm new here from the UK. Female 47, don't drink v much, non smoker, walk 3-4 miles a day with dogs and clean eating apart from the odd Mc D and chocolate! I was admitted to hospital four weeks ago with the exact pains you speak of. My gall bladder was removed 8 years ago for gall sludge so it was not my gall bladder per se but the doctor confirmed your body can still produce the sludge which in some cases can end up in the pancreas or liver if the bile duct becomes blocked. I had an ultrasound which showed nothing. My liver tests came back as elevated but not of major concern but it was inflamed. I then had a CT scan with dye. I was told the imaging showed extensive colitis which I had never heard of. Once it was explained to me I was in shock as I can honestly say I have never had any of the classic symptoms I continue to read about, albeit I have had chronic constipation since I can remember and occasional piles which have a small bleed. I had lost half a stone in two weeks up to being admitted. When asked about family history I knew my two maternal uncles died of cancer of the large bowel and one of those uncles daughters just 57 years died just week of Crohns. I emphasised to the doctor my concerns that the colitis was an incidental finding and not to ignore the excruciating pain under my right ribs right under my right breast which went up into my chest, I found it hard to breath, had shoulder tip pain and the pain radiated around the back into my left shoulder and up the right side of my neck. He offered no opinions and released me for urgent. Colonoscopy and endoscopy with biopsy which are due in 2 weeks time. The pain in my ribs subsided but is still there niggling away. I also get bad pain on and off at the mid point where the ribs meet. It is only natural to want to research your symptoms and like many folk on here I've probably scared myself silly. I know my pains are not in my head but I'm exhausted. My concerns are whether the colonoscopies/ endosconopies will examine my bile duct or the ilieum area which others have mentioned. I am more concerned about my liver and what is happening to that than the colitis. I am not jaundiced. I'm aware UC can cause liver problems and fingers crossed it isn't that.
Welcome. Also, hoping it is not your liver also. Keep us updated.

Hi there. I'm so sorry to hear your suffering like you are. I finally found out that the pain under my right rib is from what my doctors exact words were "very large cysts". I already had a fatty live from childhood and have no idea how I ended up with that to start with because I have never drank, so it is just one of those things. The doctor said that the cysts sometimes press up against other organs in that area and cause the pain I am having on and off. Unless the cysts start really bothering me, my doctor said nothing needed to be done, but if they get any larger, then they would have to be drained, but draining them does not keep them from coming back. So now I am very relieved that it is not something serious. I hope this helps you and I hope you feel better.