• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ibuprofen

Wow I just took an advil and didn't realize it is bad for CD.

Ibuprofen should not be used regularly in individuals with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD-Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis) due to its ability to cause gastric bleeding and form ulceration in the gastric lining. Drugs such as Advil should be avoided in persons afflicted with IBD. Pain relievers such as Tylenol (containing acetaminophen) or drugs containing Codeine (which slows down bowel activity) are safer methods than Ibuprofen for pain relief in IBD. Ibuprofen is also known to cause worsening of IBD during times of a flare-up, thus should be avoided completely.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Am confused here..

You took it and didnt realise it was bad for IBD but posted all the following info? I take it you researched it after... why not before Hippie? Am curious sorry..

You are totally right in what you say!

lol soup, I took it because I have a migraine, and after I don't even know why I typed it in wikipedia but I did, and I came across that info.

I heard about this for the first time the other day. I was taking ibuprofen for around 2 weeks for a very sore throat just before i had my first big flare up and ended up in hospital where i was diagnosed, im beggining to think there maybe a link!

I buprofen is a big nono fo CD It will make you bleed ( its ok taking one dose If your not having symptoms and there is absolutely nothing else but don't make a habit of it. I would not take it during a flare up.

I was taking Aleve for like a month everyday for a sore back before I first got symptoms. I think it contributed to that flare for sure.

My doc says to take nothing but Tylenol now.

i have slight pain from food, but im not flaring or having bleeding so I guess I will still use advil till i find a suitable alternative.

robbo87 said:
I heard about this for the first time the other day. I was taking ibuprofen for around 2 weeks for a very sore throat just before i had my first big flare up and ended up in hospital where i was diagnosed, im beggining to think there maybe a link!
And I only found out about it just before we were chatting about it! I went to the chemist for some strong pain killers (damned wisdom teeth) and they asked if I had tried Inuprofen and Paracetamol together; then she asked me if I had any stomach issues etc so I told her. Straight away it was a no-no and a "Here have some Paramol!"

Does anybody know if there are any anti-inflammatories that we can use instead of Ibuprofen?

I've had issues with codeine as well, in terms of bloating and constipation - so if I ever take anything, it's Tylenol. No NSAIDs!

okay totally done with advil, i think there is a link, im not sure, but i am having internal bleeding now and i think its from the ibuprofen.

This topic led me here to the forum so wanted to add to it :)

I don't take Ibuprofen regularly but I have a period every 7th week (i'm on The Pill) and I do take Nurofen which is ibuprofen based for the pain then, maybe 6,8 tablets over the 5-6 day period.

I really hope this is ok as it really helps my pain and I don't notice the IBD getting worse when I take them.

Well, another question to go down on the list for Gastro Dr I suppose!

I swear megadoses of ibuprofen contributed mightily towards my IBD back in '82ish. But ibuprofen has always worked The Best when I'm feeling ill/feverish from flareups of pouchitis or my undiagnosed "flu-things". SO. Instead of adult strength, I cheat and buy the liquid for children and take about 1 tsp. It actually does make me feel better, this small dose. And I only use 1 - 2 tsp./day, at most, for only 1-2 days. With no problems. I don't want to encourage its use, but for me, I do keep a bottle of Children's Motrin/Advil on hand and use sparingly.

One more reason I am so happy I found this place! After reading this, I can't believe my son's GI dr would tell me to give him ibuprofen!!! 2 weeks ago I called about joint pain he is having and she advised me to give him ibuprofen and if it wasn't better in a week to call back! This now makes me wonder if that is why he was having pain again last week!

Jessica

Stargrrl- have you tried cocodamol for your period pain? It is paracetamol with a small dose of codeine, it's stronger than plain paracetamol but not as likely to constipate you as a full dose of codeine. It's available over the counter at pharmacies.

Last edited:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm guessing that ibuprofen contributed to my illness, as well. I got sick in Oct 2009. Last summer, a few months before I got ill, my husband & I would go kayaking almost every weekend. We'd go for hours and hours, and my muscles would be so sore and painful at the end of the day that I'd pop ibuprofen like it was candy. I avoid it at all costs now. I don't care how bad my joint pain is or the fact that Tylenol does nothing for me, I'd rather not make the overall issue worse. I'd rather deal with the symptoms at hand than take something that may just cause more/worse symptoms down the road, you know?

Hi I have crohn's with fisular perenial desease also athritis,I also have a bulging disc in my back and the lower back has significant wear and tear,on my last MRI scan this was diagnosed and the consultant told me if there was too much pain to bare go to your GP and he will refer you to a back surgeon. the pain got bad and it was even in my hips I could hardly walk,could'nt get a appointment so the recepsionist asked the doctor to ring me, after a conversation on the phone he prescribed ibrufen 400mg when ever the pain gets bad,they did give me pain relieve,so kept taking them now he wants me to have blood test to test my EPS,whatever that is.the other meds I am on are pentasa,methotrexate,opremoxazole,and inhalers for asthma.I have'nt had bad episodes on the toilet while on Ibrufen.

I think the danger with Ibuprofen is it can cause damage you can't see. My first flare was also after heavy ibuprofen use. I never had diarrhoea but when I had a colonoscopy I had ulcers - even after several weeks of IV steroids and pred. Ibuprofen may not have given me Crohn's, but I am sure it contributed to those ulcers. Of course, it is all a balancing act, and the potential risks and benefits need weighing up in each case. Though I would want to try all other avenues before resorting to nsaid use!

Stargrrl- have you tried cocodamol for your period pain? It is paracetamol with a small dose of codeine, it's stronger than plain paracetamol but not as likely to constipate you as a full dose of codeine. It's available over the counter at pharmacies.
Hi Rebecca, I used to take the co-codamol over the counter but found Nurofen much better. Now I am on the 30mg dose of co-codamol from GP for my shoulder pain but still find it doesn't suit as well as ibroprufen for period pain.

As I don't notice myself getting any worse I will carry on until I see Gastro Dr. Am a great believer in trying things, if they work i'll carry on, but if I get worse I don't do it again!

when i was 17 i had my first and worst flareup.i had killer migranes and was taking otc painkillers. i was in care since i was seven, and had no idea three quarters od my family had crohns. was taking advil and asprin for migranes, i had also recenty taken up smoking. i was under tremendus stress. i was in pain and had a high grade fever. i lived in a group home at the time. the staff thought i was just being mellow dramatic. they were giving me Tylenol to start. my fever was persisting to the point i was getting max dose of Tylenol and Advil rotationally ever four hours. that went on for weeks, i couldn't sleep. i got brief naps in that was a all for three weeks. it got so bad they had no choice but to bring me into a hospital. i had a massive collection in my abdomen, and was septic.if i hadent been taken in when i was, i would have died. it took six weeks to drain. shortly after that i had to get an illiotomy, they cut out one quarter of my small intestine and 17 inches of my ascending colon. and it all started from starting smoking and taking Advil for migranes

After I had my resection(8 years ago) the surgeon told me not to smoke,and don't take ibuprofen !
I haven't done either,and apart from stomach ulcers bleeding out last Easter,my Crohns hasn't reappeared ............ Yet

I stick to strictly Tylenol. It sucks because it does almost nothing for joint and period pain but I'm not willing to make my UC worse so that's it.

Right before I was diagnosed my GI asked me about ibuprofen usage. I took very little (maybe 2 pills a month). He explained to me that while they don't think it can cause IBD it can make existing IBD worse and cause an IBD like syndrome.

Remember that all NSAID (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) are a no no. So Aleve is also bad. And check your Cold medications if you have to take any because they often have anti inflammatory drugs in them.

Ultimately though if you need to take them to control other issues (arthritis etc) there isn't much you can do other than trying not NSAID options but if hose fail you have to do what you have to do.

And I only found out about it just before we were chatting about it! I went to the chemist for some strong pain killers (damned wisdom teeth) and they asked if I had tried Inuprofen and Paracetamol together; then she asked me if I had any stomach issues etc so I told her. Straight away it was a no-no and a "Here have some Paramol!"

Does anybody know if there are any anti-inflammatories that we can use instead of Ibuprofen?
Be careful. Take Tylenol instead.

I have been sick since 1997. Not diagnosed with UC until 2006. Still, it took years for me to find out that I should not take NSAIDS or antibiotics or probably Lidocaine/Marcaine injections. I have had an anal fistula and two rectal abscesses, in the past, and at the time I was suffering from them I had no idea that those things were related to UC. My great Gastroenterologist does not accept my current Health Insurance. Going to someone new as of last year. Hard to find a great doctor. :)