• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How fast can crohns come on?

i am still not diagnosed, waiting for a promethius blood test, and have an MR entomography or something similar this week. My dr thinks its clear cut crohns. I was on dexilant and flagyl for a week. now i am on augmentin and pentasa for the past few days. alergic to cipro. The lingering pain started about a month ago. never before that have i had any problems with pain or D. i had ate normal when the pain started for about a week to 2 weeks. then i ate a steak and that night and the next day i couldnt take it i was in the hospital. that is when the diagnosis started. I ate normal just a few weeks ago, buffalo wings, chocolate, coffee, salad. never had a problem eating like this. now all of a sudden this.

now im on a plain chicken rice bread and mashed potato diet. the pain seems to come and go still. the D has been constant. is that normal for the pain to come and go without eating? i went without eating anything for 12 hours for tests and i still have pain is that normal?

So how fast could crohns come on? could this be normal? also will i ever be able to eat normal again? i know people say it goes into remission but will i then eat and function normal again?

also what do you put on your chicken? just a little salt and pepper? or any seasonings? getting tired of just plain salt and pepper.

Sorry for all the questions i just dont seem to understand this stuff very much. seems everyone is different.

SarahBear

Hi, zxcvb!

It can come on fairly quickly. Also, seemingly unrelated symptoms like joint pain and fatigue can occur for a while before the gastrointestinal symptoms start.

It's not odd for the pain to occur without eating. If you have inflammation, ulcers, or anything like that in there, it doesn't have to be aggravated by food to hurt.

You should definitely be able to eat normally again. Assuming it is Crohn's, once it goes into remission, you should be able to resume your previous eating habits if you want to. You might find that certain foods still upset your stomach a little, but it shouldn't be the kind of issue it is now.

Questions aren't a problem at all. :) You're right - it is different for everyone, so it can be very hard to just read through the forum and get an idea of what's normal and what isn't.

:hug: I hope you feel better soon.

thanks for the quick response. yea my ct scan showed inflamation in the small intestine and gas pockets or bubbles escaping they said. But i will feel fine for a few hours then all of a sudden its back and i have the worst pains again. any sugestions on other foods to eat? or what to put on your chicken so its not just plain that wont bother you?

SarahBear

Air bubbles escaping? Did they mention a possible perforation?

Do you have any further tests scheduled?

Hmmm. I'm not really sure about what you might be able to eat. Personally, I'd skip the seasonings and put gravy on it, but that might upset your stomach as well. Would a softly breaded chicken be alright?

I'm going to tag CrohnsChicago to see if she has any suggestions for you about what you might try eating. :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Focusing on soft, bland foods and proteins like you are now is a good start and would be best while you get your flare under better control. You don't want to risk aggravating symptoms and causing more pain and discomfort.

Some of the foods I like to eat are white rice cooked very soft, mashed potatoes, ground turkey, chicken, salmon, non cream-based soups. If you are feeling adventurous with veggies, make sure they are cooked VERY SOFT. Limit or avoid high fiber foods.

Limit your dairy for a while. Lactose can be a trigger for some crohnies. I used to drink a ton of milk. I didn't realize until I decided to try removing it from my diet how much it was affecting my symptoms. After only 3 days of no drinking milk during a flare, my gas/bloating situation had reduced to a near non-existence. If you do like dairy, I would recommend trying to stick to greek yogurts (which actually helps soothes some peoples symptoms - others not so much), and aged cheeses (think cheddar) and eggs.

Avoid processed, fatty foods as much as possible. They are also common aggravators of symptoms. Cook your meals from scratch as opposed to eating out/fast food.

Below is a link to diets commonly used to help ease crohns. I would take specific look at the Elimination Diet and Low Residue Diet to help you determine what foods don't work for you at the moment:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=32036

If the pain and discomfort are just too much, try the Liquid Diet like Boost, Ensure, Smoothies and Green Juices to make sure you are at least getting some daily nutrients.

Best of luck!

Air bubbles escaping? Did they mention a possible perforation?

Do you have any further tests scheduled?

Hmmm. I'm not really sure about what you might be able to eat. Personally, I'd skip the seasonings and put gravy on it, but that might upset your stomach as well. Would a softly breaded chicken be alright?

I'm going to tag CrohnsChicago to see if she has any suggestions for you about what you might try eating. :)
Yes they mentioned something with a small perforation possible. im going tomorrow for a MRI or MR Ento something. The first ct scan showed the small intestine inflammed and the air bubbles. my primary dr and the er didnt seemed concerned with that. but once i saw the gi finally last week he said hes concerned with that.

Focusing on soft, bland foods and proteins like you are now is a good start and would be best while you get your flare under better control. You don't want to risk aggravating symptoms and causing more pain and discomfort.

Some of the foods I like to eat are white rice cooked very soft, mashed potatoes, ground turkey, chicken, salmon, non cream-based soups. If you are feeling adventurous with veggies, make sure they are cooked VERY SOFT. Limit or avoid high fiber foods.

Limit your dairy for a while. Lactose can be a trigger for some crohnies. I used to drink a ton of milk. I didn't realize until I decided to try removing it from my diet how much it was affecting my symptoms. After only 3 days of no drinking milk during a flare, my gas/bloating situation had reduced to a near non-existence. If you do like dairy, I would recommend trying to stick to greek yogurts (which actually helps soothes some peoples symptoms - others not so much), and aged cheeses (think cheddar) and eggs.

Avoid processed, fatty foods as much as possible. They are also common aggravators of symptoms. Cook your meals from scratch as opposed to eating out/fast food.

Below is a link to diets commonly used to help ease crohns. I would take specific look at the Elimination Diet and Low Residue Diet to help you determine what foods don't work for you at the moment:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=32036

If the pain and discomfort are just too much, try the Liquid Diet like Boost, Ensure, Smoothies and Green Juices to make sure you are at least getting some daily nutrients.

Best of luck!
yea i have been on a non dairy, and no veggies diet. all i am eating is rice, mashed potatoes, plain chicken, and plain pasta. they said no cheese no sauce. i asked my gi about boost or ensure type drinks and he said do not have those for now.

Honestly, I would avoid boost and ensure, they are full of sugar and preservatives. If at all possible maybe you could look for something in a health food store ( whole foods) or what ever they have near you. There are many different nutritional drinks out there that are more healthy and not so full of junk. I hope you start to feel better soon and they can figure out what is going on and can get you some help.

yea i have been on a non dairy, and no veggies diet. all i am eating is rice, mashed potatoes, plain chicken, and plain pasta. they said no cheese no sauce. i asked my gi about boost or ensure type drinks and he said do not have those for now.

kiny

just adding to what other people have said

how fast can crohn's disease come on..hmm how long does an immune response take, about 24-72 hours before you get a full blown reponse of the adaptive immune system

I don't know how fast the immune response is in crohn's disease or how chronic the response is, it would depend on T cell, their memory and if they're just lingering or coming from the lymphatics, but an immune response happens in days in "regular" people, sometimes hours if it's a common response the body already knows, it's quite fast.

thanks for all the info. waiting for results should be a few days now. i still have the D but the pain isnt as horrible today. hopefully its going to keep improving.

anyone else experience bad back pain? the right side in my lower back seems to hurt like crazy now. like directly behind where it hurts in the front. its not bad enough to take pain killers but bad enough to notice it.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I always get lower back pain during my flares, especially at the points where my colonoscopy indicated my inflammations/ulcers were the worst. Food definitely aggravates the areas as well as it passes through my system during a flare which is why I try to stick to liquids and soft foods to give my gut a bit of a resting period to help it heal faster.

thanks, when the flare was at its worst a few weeks ago my back was fine. just the past 2 days its starting to bother me.

It could be just from tensing so much( we do this naturally when we are in pain) that is had made your back muscles sore.. My lower back hurts all the time usually. I have just gotten use to it and it is just another pain I deal with. Heating pad helps quite a bit. Maybe put heat on it, it may help..

thanks, when the flare was at its worst a few weeks ago my back was fine. just the past 2 days its starting to bother me.

When I'm feeling especially sick I make soup. You could simmer the chicken, potato, rice and pasta into a nice soup. I got some bouillon cubes that have no additives from a health food store for flavour. It's important to stay hydrated when you have D all day.

thanks i tried the heating pad it helped a little. yea im drinking as much as i can to stay hydrated. ill try the soup

so the mri results came back. they said they are pretty sure it is crohns in the illieum. They said a fistula is starting to form in the illiuem. not really understanding what that means. My understanding is that means its leaking. but there is no abscess. they now put me on entocort, flagly again, and still taking pentasa. im going next friday to NYC for a Gi that my GI recommended to get a second opinion on it. They also want to start me on humira after a TB test is done. Im still new to this stuff. My dr said we need to hope an abscess does not form at this point. Can anyone explain some of this to me, the good the bad? is there anything i should eat specifically to help with the fistula or prevent an abscess? does an abscess mean surgery?