• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mucous discharge with ileostomy

Hi. I have a question for those of you with ileostomies. How often do you pass mucous or waste from your bottom? I had my ileostomy surgery 5 months ago and I rarely had any mucous or waste come out of me but just recently I've been having it happen every few days (sometimes 2 or 3 days in a row). It comes out almost like diarrhea and I usually have discomfort in my intestines right before, signaling I have to go. The only big change that I've made since this started is I came off of Flagyl (I had been on Flagyl most of the time since my procedure). I'm hoping this isn't a sign of something bad so curious to hear about others' experience with this. Thanks!!!

Nyx

I have mucous every time I go to the bathroom. It's just a little bit, and it's not uncomfortable or anything. But every person is different.

nogutsnoglory

2th do you get mucus bombs in your pants when you sneeze? I thought I had so much yesterday that it went through my pants.

No bombs for me. I have really strong sphincter muscles. Pre-surgery, I was using 2 medicated enemas a day and could walk around and retain them for hours. My surgeon was impressed. After 18 years of diarrhea, I developed really good control. Hahaha!

Bizarre achievement. Don't think I'll use it on a resume, though. ;)

Mine was frequent and varied from poop like to diarrhea.
The diarrhea could be caused by colitis - which occurs in some folk with stomas - regular poop has an enzyme in it that your colon needs to function properly. When it is absent due to the absence of poop - your colon becomes upset and inflamed. This causes the colitis that causes the diarrhea like mucus discharge.
Let your GI know.
It can be treated topically with enemas etc.
There are other things it could be - infection etc.
Hope it gets better soon.

I had a stoma for three months and never passed anything. I thought that was quite strange as my doctor told me it would happen. He didn't seem concerned.

I've only had it six weeks but I pass nothing at all. I don't pass any gas either - is that what's expected?

nogutsnoglory

Unxmas you pass gas through the stoma now. You may not have a lot of gas or noise but if your stoma is working I assure you it's farting a bit too.

Unxmas you pass gas through the stoma now. You may not have a lot of gas or noise but if your stoma is working I assure you it's farting a bit too.
Yep my stoma does do an impression of a balloon at times. ;) And it makes really loud fart noises - the kind where anyone present is going to notice. I just wondered if people still pass it the regular way as well. At least there's no smell with it all going through the ileostomy. :)

Nyx

Nope...don't fart out the back end at all. And my farts through the stoma are worse than any I used to have the traditional way...in both smell and loudness! lol Seems I have more gas now too, but that might be just because I'm more aware of it now since I can hear it and see it (I'm always burping my bag).

Nope...don't fart out the back end at all. And my farts through the stoma are worse than any I used to have the traditional way...in both smell and loudness! lol Seems I have more gas now too, but that might be just because I'm more aware of it now since I can hear it and see it (I'm always burping my bag).
But how do you know the stoma farts smell? Judging by the smell when I open my bag to empty it, I'm sure they do, but since the bag is on and shut all the time when the gas comes through I can't smell it. Or have you had the gas come through when you're changing the bag?

I much prefer my new stoma farts since they're conveniently contained in the bag. :)

Nyx

The smell comes out when I burp the bag. I don't always have output when I have gas. And yes, he's a pretty good farter and always does so when I take the bag off as well..lol

annawato

Staff member
I have regular farts occasionally. I think its when the bag has been overful at night and gas is pushed down into the lower colon. Its pretty rare though. I only have mucus poops very rarely too - can't remember when the last one was.

I cleared a crowded city corner on a busy Sat night burping my bag.
Better than a fart any day!
People fled!! Seriously fled!!
It was priceless.

I have regular farts occasionally. I think its when the bag has been overful at night and gas is pushed down into the lower colon. Its pretty rare though. I only have mucus poops very rarely too - can't remember when the last one was.
I don't have a colon so maybe that's why I get zero regular farts.

I cleared a crowded city corner on a busy Sat night burping my bag.
Better than a fart any day!
People fled!! Seriously fled!!
It was priceless.
Today 12:33 AM
:lol: If mine's full of gas I just leave it blown up until it needs output emptied from it too, but I think if I was letting just gas out I'd still feel obliged to go to the bathroom with my air freshener. :p

I was caught short that night.
It was at bursting point. It was going to explode.
I thought I was being terribly discrete.
It was actually like an horrific beast had been unleashed on the unwitting!