• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eating junk food to put on weight

nogutsnoglory

Am I out of my mind? I went from the super healthy way of eating to now eating fattening junk to gain weight. I lost so much weight and healthy fats like avocado, coconut oil and olive oil have not helped.

Will I gain weight drinking coke and having lots of cheese?

PsychoJane

Are you pairing your food? What I mean by that is always to associate a highly carbohydrate type of food with something that contains a lot of fat? Dip your bread in olive oil whenever possible and eat high carbohydrate content food such as banana, dates and so on and yes, may as well pair them with cheese if you tolerate it well.

The healthy fat won't do it on their own, it still needs to have the "too high carbohydrate" intake to really put on the weight, or at the least help it.

You put on weight if your energy intake is more than the energy you use in activity. So at the end of the day it doesn't matter what you eat. If you managed to eat 2000 calories worth of lettuce and you used 1800 calories that day, you would put on weight.
So obviously eating lots of high calorie food makes it easier to put on weight, but it is not going to be as good for your long term health to be eating food which is high in saturated fats. It is hard to put on weight healthily. Maybe just try keeping account of your calories to get an idea of how much you are eating.
My weight has been going up very slowly and I'm not putting too much effort into it to be honest. I try not to worry about my weight because I know it goes up and down so much with this disease.

rygon

I wouldnt eat junk to put on weight as theres no benefits other than weight gain (you will end up fat, lacking in energy and feel under par). I would try and gain weight eating potatoes and pasta instead with a nutritious sauce.

Ive always looked at gaining weight like losing weight. You shouldnt expect major changes, nor should you change your diet drastically that you cannot maintain (crash diets do not work as people go back to usual eating habits afterwards).

Try and snack as well, nuts and bananas would be a good idea if you can tolerate them.

I found exercising to help with my weight the best. I started kickboxing a while back and not only did it build up my muscles, but the extra energy used made me want to eat more

Well, you know what my opinion will be, lol. You will probably gain weight alright, but just gaining weight will not add to your health. What are you sacrificing for that weight (your intestines, possibly?) and is it worth it in the end? It is a risky experiment. Only you can make that call. Keep us posted though :)

Edited to add, I do think you can gain weight eating healthy. You just need to eat alot and know that it may take more time. Be patient.

Will I gain weight drinking coke and having lots of cheese?
Maybe,

But it really all depends on how many calories your body actually digests and absorbs, as opposed to many calories it expends. ,

Many people with digestive issues do not digest all their food, and the calories pass right through them, instead of getting into their blood system.

if you eat 3,000 calories, but your body only digests and absorbs 500 of them, you'll still end up losing weight rather than gaining.

Going on a nice healthy diet usually results in losing weight, which is usually the goal -- for those without digestive issues.

but being too thin can be just as dangerous to your health as obesity, and consuming massive quantities of junk food usually does help pack on the pounds. In the short term, may very well do your body more good than harm, so no, don't think you've lost your mind.

Cheese is often difficult to digest, but helps bind you up (i.e., result in constipation.). While coke is pure sugar, and absorbed almost directly into the blood stream.

There are medical conditions, such as epilepsy, which are being successfully treated by consuming massive quantities of saturated fat, entire meals consisting of butter and bacon, and drinking pure canola oil. Doesn't seem possible? Here's a link to an article from Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,583429,00.html

So might I suggest some fries and potato chips? Just to round out your new temporary diet plan?

nogutsnoglory

Thanks all for weighing in. Ha, weighing in. I'm not sure what my caloric intake is but I haven't given thought to coupling fat with high carb intake together.

I know junk food will help put on weight but ultimately is devoid of nutrition. The thing is I look like a skeleton so while I want to gain weight to be healthy I also am embarrassed by how sickly I look being so thin.

Do you like nut butters (almond butter is great)? Apple slices loaded with lots of nut butter can pack in some good calories. Smoothies with lots of nut butter, bananas, almond or coconut milk ~ for in between meal boosts. Don't be afraid of fat. Bacon, eggs, coconut oil, eaten in the same meal as potatoes or fruit. You can do it. It takes effort and focus.

Too bad you aren't E...you would have a mom handing you food all day (here, eat this). When, in return, you made a face at her? She would tell you to suck it up and eat it anyway. lol

I'd say if your gut can handle it add some high quality aged cheese to your diet, such as gouda or edam.

The most amount of weight that I ever lost was when I avoided all dairy products. I'm 6' and on the dairy free diet I dropped to around 120lbs. I wasn't thrilled about that. I used to joke that a strong wind could see me tumbling down the street. It gave me the appearance of someone from the 1920s and earlier I thought, where most people where bone thin at the time.

I've put on a considerable amount of weight over the last few years. My main guess has been that this gain came about from avoiding grains. I'm absorbing nutrients better. Other additional change I made though have been weight lifting, and eating aged cheeses regularly. The cheeses very well could have played a major part in my gains.

I've also seen some theorize that the reason people from nordic countries tend to be larger in height and build is due to their higher consumption of dairy goods.

And along those lines, saw this on Dr. Eenfeldt's sight:

"Lose Weight by Cutting Down on Dairy Products and Nuts"

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lose-weig...ht-by-cutting-down-on-dairy-products-and-nuts

Gianni

Ive always looked at gaining weight like losing weight. You shouldnt expect major changes, nor should you change your diet drastically that you cannot maintain (crash diets do not work as people go back to usual eating habits afterwards).
Well said.

Glory, are you currently underweight now?

You shouldn't feel the need to arbitrarily gain weight with junk food. If you are eating healthy and giving your body plenty of healthy fats and your body isn't holding on to the fat then it simply doesn't want it. While yes being underweight is dangerous there are a lot more factors than a scale measurement that play a hand here. Some people perform better while being under their average "recommended weight".

You really have to go off of how you personally feel. If you feel tired, brain fog, restlessness etc then gaining weight may be in your best interest but if you feel good I see no reason to jump into junk food.

Eating the junk processed foods like soda and what not you will only be forcing your body to hold onto fat but it will also damage your other systems. Your liver and your gut will be the most victimized here. Your liver deals primarily with turning toxins like acesulfame K, Aspartame, perservatives and other toxins you would be consuming with a junk diet into water soluble toxins but when the liver is overloaded with these toxins it becomes sluggish and will instead leech the fat soluble toxins into the bloodstream without breaking them down. The body will then use fat consumed from your diet to house the harmful toxins so that it cannot do further damage within the bloodstream. Unfortunately that means that the fat cells will be extremely difficult to get rid of and two the toxins within will slowly start doing damage overtime.

I'd say as long as you aren't consistently losing weight on a constant healthy diet, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Gianni

You might want to check out what Weston A Price has to say about coke and shit food?
For example, i made pancakes for my son with milk kefir and spelt flour, left the batter out overnight to ferment and topped with (real) maple syrup.
If you gonna do grains and sugars then you should try to do them properly

KWalker

Since starting the SCD diet I was concerned about maintaining or even losing weight but like Ya noy has said, it's better to eat less calories that your body can absorb over high calorie foods your body may not digest. Almonds and peanut butter have become pretty much my best friends. I've been on the diet for a month and I'm already on my third tub of peanut butter. You can use it as a dip for veggies like celery, and even carrots (surprisingly) or pretty much all fruits. I mostly use berries or banana, and it's super healthy. You could start doing smoothies/juices with nut milk, or even just blend the nuts in the smoothie, you can make peanut butter cookies, etc.

Besides, if you're going to try and gain weight while not eating healthy you could definitely find better things coke and cheese lol. Don't buy lean meats, buy meat with the skin on, eat more meat, etc.

I know it sounds a bit unappetising, but if you blend your food so that it is more like baby food you might find that you digest more of it - that was advice from my GI when I was very, very thin. So much of the food that we Crohnies eat comes out in much the same form as it went in.

nogutsnoglory

I know it sounds a bit unappetising, but if you blend your food so that it is more like baby food you might find that you digest more of it - that was advice from my GI when I was very, very thin. So much of the food that we Crohnies eat comes out in much the same form as it went in.
The baby food is so yucky lol.

The soda could also make you feel full so you don't eat as much, we noticed this with our son, we also add peanut butter to everything in his smoothies, on his apples, toast, etc. I buy 2-3 big Costco jugs every other month.
He is also drinking 8 Boost-type drinks everyday. (We just started this about a week ago and have already gained 3 lbs)