• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Psorisis-like redness

My husband gets psorisis like redness on his neck and around his ears and jawline. It looks just like my psorisis. Its flaky like dandruff would be. He also has had dandruff since his dx of CD. Hes not on any immunosuppresants or steroids. Its kind of itchy. Ive put anti itch cream on it. Im wondering if this is CD related? We have thought so, because its only there when hes in a flare.

P.s. I dont mean to be annoying, but Im truly interested in learning all I can about IBD. Up until this last year, I thought IBD only affected the digestive tract but Im realizing that it affects joints, eyes, lungs and skin. I guess basically all soft tissue. Is it due to the overactive immune system? Ive also noticed that my husband has not had so much as a cold since his CD became active even though me & our son will get them. But it does manifest as CD symptoms instead of your normal cold symptoms

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
CD, being supposedly an autoimmune condition, has the ability to trigger other autoimmune responses.

For example when I am flaring my eczema is more prominent and I also get flaring gums in my mouth and hip/knee joint pains. When I treat the crohn's the other stuff calms down and/or goes away.

afidz

Super Moderator
When I got Iritis in February my doctor explained to me that the cells in my eyes are similar to those in my digestive tract, so my immune system sees those as a threat as well. I am assuming that it is similar situation in your husband's case.
Also, other than the flu I got in 2008, I haven't had so much as a cold since my DX in 2007. I am not sure if its because I get a flu shot every year or for some other strange reason, but its definitely an interesting point

I never~ ever get colds, but I get stomach viruses. My weak point i guess. I think our immune system works overtime and that is why we don't get colds!:)

Thanks guys!
Yea he never gets a cold at all. Around this time of year (allergy season) my husbamd gets a little bit of a runny nose and a CD flare! It happens around the fall season also. Ive brought this correlation up with so many GPs and they just shrug it off. When he was first Dxd in 05, his CD symptoms followed a rather nasty spider bite (brown recluse. Hubby lost almost all of his knee cartiladge from it) then MRSA as a result of the bite. 3 months later, he had severe diarrheah, weight loss and blood loss. I tried telling his GI at the time that I thought the CD was triggered by his immune response to the staph but he said "No hes had CD for years it just lay dormant". Turns out though, that I was right. Now Im thinking that his immune response to allergies, colds, etc causes his flares. It just makes sense to me. He had horrible allergies as a kid. Had to get shots and inhalers and pills to control them. But now that hes CD, I think all that manifests itself as disease activity. I just wonder if a histamine blocker would help the allergy related flares?

Thanks guys!
Yea he never gets a cold at all. Around this time of year (allergy season) my husbamd gets a little bit of a runny nose and a CD flare! It happens around the fall season also. Ive brought this correlation up with so many GPs and they just shrug it off. When he was first Dxd in 05, his CD symptoms followed a rather nasty spider bite (brown recluse. Hubby lost almost all of his knee cartiladge from it) then MRSA as a result of the bite. 3 months later, he had severe diarrheah, weight loss and blood loss. I tried telling his GI at the time that I thought the CD was triggered by his immune response to the staph but he said "No hes had CD for years it just lay dormant". Turns out though, that I was right. Now Im thinking that his immune response to allergies, colds, etc causes his flares. It just makes sense to me. He had horrible allergies as a kid. Had to get shots and inhalers and pills to control them. But now that hes CD, I think all that manifests itself as disease activity. I just wonder if a histamine blocker would help the allergy related flares?
Wow sounds like my husband!!!! He had mrsa in his knee about 2 years back & has suffered with psoriasis for years. He has just been diagnosed today with CD and has quite a lot of blood loss too. Any tips? I hope your husband is feeling a little better now. My husband is in hospital tonight. Feeling useless here at home.

Thanks guys!
It couldn't hurt to try it. I never had allergies until I got crohns. Never had a runny nose or cough. Never wheezed. Never had eye redness or pain. Crohns just is an immune disorder and so is all the other manifestations. I don't think one triggers the other, I think they just go hand in hand. Same with the arthritis too and psoriasis.

Wow sounds like my husband!!!! He had mrsa in his knee about 2 years back & has suffered with psoriasis for years. He has just been diagnosed today with CD and has quite a lot of blood loss too. Any tips? I hope your husband is feeling a little better now. My husband is in hospital tonight. Feeling useless here at home.
Not really any tips only just be there as best as you can. Its really scary at first because you see the one you love the most suffer and theres all the scary symptoms an things just run through your mind. And the helpless feeling is horrible! But it helps him to just be there and be a good listener. IBD is such an isolating disease. The nature of it makes people who suffer from it be afraid to leave the house or embarassed by the symptoms so a lot of the times, (at least in my experiance) the spouse becomes the only person that they can talk to. Or feel comfortable talking to. My husband gets angry sometimes and you have to remember that its nothing you are doing. Its the pain. And imagine how scary CD or UC is! All those tests and the uncertianty of the disease must be so scary to go thru. Hes gona need you more than ever. My husband has depression over his CD. So that might be something to look out for. Be reassuring but not overbearing (I tend to do that). And dont get overwhelmed by it all. Educate yourself as much as you can. Talk to the docs and learn about CD. That way when something new comes up, youll be prepared to handle it and it wont seem as scary. Knowladge truly is power! Keep posting here. The people here are really great and they can answer questions or help validate your husband. And believe me, validation feels great. I hope your husband feels better soon! And you, take care of yourself, too. Itss easy to get so caught up in taking care of someone that you neglect yourself.

It couldn't hurt to try it. I never had allergies until I got crohns. Never had a runny nose or cough. Never wheezed. Never had eye redness or pain. Crohns just is an immune disorder and so is all the other manifestations. I don't think one triggers the other, I think they just go hand in hand. Same with the arthritis too and psoriasis.
I talked with him about the histamine blocker and he wants to give it a try, too. His eyes get red and painful also. Especially in the sunlight. His eyelids wjere his lashes are, gets swollen and they get sty looking things on there. His eye doc said it was CD related so he keeps him on steriod eye drops to use as needed. It seems to help the pain and super sensitivity.

Not really any tips only just be there as best as you can. Its really scary at first because you see the one you love the most suffer and theres all the scary symptoms an things just run through your mind. And the helpless feeling is horrible! But it helps him to just be there and be a good listener. IBD is such an isolating disease. The nature of it makes people who suffer from it be afraid to leave the house or embarassed by the symptoms so a lot of the times, (at least in my experiance) the spouse becomes the only person that they can talk to. Or feel comfortable talking to. My husband gets angry sometimes and you have to remember that its nothing you are doing. Its the pain. And imagine how scary CD or UC is! All those tests and the uncertianty of the disease must be so scary to go thru. Hes gona need you more than ever. My husband has depression over his CD. So that might be something to look out for. Be reassuring but not overbearing (I tend to do that). And dont get overwhelmed by it all. Educate yourself as much as you can. Talk to the docs and learn about CD. That way when something new comes up, youll be prepared to handle it and it wont seem as scary. Knowladge truly is power! Keep posting here. The people here are really great and they can answer questions or help validate your husband. And believe me, validation feels great. I hope your husband feels better soon! And you, take care of yourself, too. Itss easy to get so caught up in taking care of someone that you neglect yourself.
Hello,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I intend to keep myself well educated about this disease. He was down in the dumps this morning. He was upset that he had this disease and he would have to take medication probably for the rest of his life. It was horrible to see him so upset. But I told him together we would work through it. I have even told him we are going to start mind fullness meditation together. I have read enough about that to know that there are only benefits to be gained from it & I am hoping to avoid depression. CD & depression cannot be fun & I feel for you. I can imagine how easily it could take hold.
Thanks again & I look forward to seeing you around this forum.

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I intend to keep myself well educated about this disease. He was down in the dumps this morning. He was upset that he had this disease and he would have to take medication probably for the rest of his life. It was horrible to see him so upset. But I told him together we would work through it. I have even told him we are going to start mind fullness meditation together. I have read enough about that to know that there are only benefits to be gained from it & I am hoping to avoid depression. CD & depression cannot be fun & I feel for you. I can imagine how easily it could take hold.
How about prayer? God has gotten me through husband's suicide, children's addictions to heroin, death of my sister and then my inlaws in a fire and son's best friend od'ing and died.. Then I found out I had cancer. Now crohns and I am strong and happy. He gives me strength and love and that is all I need!:hug:

Hello,
You are very welcome Bmwife.
Your husband may not have to take meds forever. Just according to disease activity. But even is he does, hes gotta use that mindfullness and think of the drugs helping his body. Yall should also try meditation. I know its hard to do that when the pain is so.bad but it helps with the mental and physical. And as 723 said prayer is wonderful if you.belive. It has gotten me thru so much fear and pain.

My husband gets psorisis like redness on his neck and around his ears and jawline. It looks just like my psorisis. Its flaky like dandruff would be. He also has had dandruff since his dx of CD.
I have almost exactly what you describe. It gets worse during a flare and mostly goes away when I'm healthier.