• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Another newbie

C

Claire

Hello!
Just found this forum and wanted to introduce myself as a mother of an 8 year old who has just been diagnosed with crohn's. It's all a bit of a shock, we have no family history and it's heartbreaking to watch her suffer the discomfort. I would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation.
I will get on and read some of your stories now.
Claire. x

D

DannyB

Hye Claire,

Welcome to the site, I hope you find some help here to assist with your daughter.

M

meowsie

Welcome, Claire! I hope you find the info you're looking for here. It's a great little corner of the web. :)

V

Valentina

Hi Claire. glad you found the site. I hope your daughter is doing well, and that you can find some support and advice here.

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL
Welcome Aboard !! I am sure that you will have a great time. There is a lot of wonderful people here that will help you along your way. I am known to all as: Grandma Bear aka Karen. So, take care and see you around sometime soon !! :)

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome Claire. I am really sorry to hear about your child's condition. It can be really hard and scary for you as well as for the actual sufferer, so feel free to ask ANYTHING that will make you feel better. There is no stupid questions and we will do anything we can do to make you have a better understanding of this disease.

E

ElaineH

Hi Claire and welcome to the site! I hope you find it useful and informative.. the members here will help in any way they can.

Elaine xxx

C

Claire

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies and the big welcome!
Can I ask a quick question please? I've been encouraged to put my daughter on a low fibre diet as the first thing I can do to help whilst she's waiting for an appointment for a endoscopy and gastroscopy. What exactly does this mean? Can she eat vegetables, fruit etc if apples are peeled etc? I'm just not exactly sure what to avoid and what she can have. I don't want to make her more skinny than she is! Also we have started on high protein and vitamin and mineral milkshake type drinks. I am actually a nurse but haven't nursed many people with crohn's and lets face it, it's very different when it's your own child!
Any hints and tips gratefully received.
Thanks in anticipation.
Claire. x

C

Claire

ooops, should I have asked this question on one of the other forums? Sorry!

K

Kate

well for me the low fiber means that you aviod skins of fruit and vege, coconut, pinapple, nuts, seeds and stuff like that... you can have soft fiber and right now i cant think of any lol but if its prueed then you can have it like soup as well

Oh and by the way welcome to the site and all the besst for your daughter

Kate

Hi Claire,

Where in Australia are you?

I'm in Brisbane and I know that there is at least one IBD/Crohn's support group here

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Hi Claire, so nice to meet you. Welcome to the forum. I'm so deeply sorry to hear that your daughter is suffering from Crohns...especially at this young age. I don't have children myself, but I know it must be very difficult for you. Please don't hestitate to ask us anything at all, I'm also more then happy to assist with any other questions you may have. Take care, I'm glad you found us here.

Hugs from Canada!
Mama Crohnie,
Deb*