• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie.....

I was diagnosed with Crohn's a few months ago. My family is truly amazing and is understanding, in fact my husband found this site for me, we have 5 children and a black lab pup. My husband does everything he can to make life easier but there are moments when I am so tired, having to take time off from work, I look tired sometimes, the thought of eating..is not a thought at all. I find my immune system is low, that I am prone to everything, especially when I work in the medical field. This is all new to our family and myself, my only concern is that this will affect my family, when it is really not their concern, as this is affecting me not them. I find that I am ok for the most part and then, when I become stressed or worried things flare up I am hoping to find new ways to keep from triggering flare ups...and to get to know other peeps....

H

happyrebel

Hey Kailua Welcome to the forum . I'm a newbie too :p

It's great to hear you have such a supportive husband .

Awww whats your lab's name ? I have a JRT called Poppy <33

What part of the medical field do you work in ? Sorry for bieng nosey but i'm thinking about working as a peidiatric gastro when i finish my education :)

Lucy

Hi nice to meet you, I am also new to the forums. I was just diagnosed a little over two weeks ago, so it's all quite new to me too. My sister also has Crohn's but hers is in remission right now so she isn't having to deal with it all for now. It's good to be able to talk with others dealing with it also. I'm like you, very concerned about my family and how this will all affect them. My daughters are 9 and 6 and very involved in sports and dance, I'm hoping I can still be as involved with them as before. I'm a photographer and own my own business so that helps that I can work as little or as much as I can.

welcome to the forum kailua :)
theres so much information here and lots of people who will help you with any questions. everyone has had a different experience with this disease, so anything you could ask, someone on here has input for.
glad you found us!

Thanks Everyone,
Appreciate all those who have welcomed me. As much as my family is here for me, and as much as I love them, there are moments when it is nice to be able to talk and get to know peeps who happen to share a common ground......so I am hoping to learn, make friends, and have fun doing it....
Cheers,
K

Last edited:
Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I am glad you found somewhere to learn from others going through many of your same struggles! :) I have three young very busy girls and thats something that has always been on my mind too. How will this all affect them? I tried to keep it from them when they were even littler but soon realized that they knew somethiing was going on but they did not know what. It made them worry more and I did not catch that at first. The girls even said "sometimes we thought you were going to die".(broke my heart) Thats when I realized that I had to be honest and share with them. The age span between my oldest and my youngest is 6.5 years so I obviously had to give my now 15 year old a little more info than my 8yr or 11yr old. I have notice that they feel like they can ask questions and it's ok. When I have hospital stays they know it will be a few days to get back on my feet and then we can get back to life. Not that those stays are not totally disruptive to our lives. They know now I will feel better when I get home and that I will be home. I know you don't want to burden little ones with adult issues so maybe even talk to your gp about what he or she thinks. Mine wss the one that said you need to tell them so they don't make things bigger in their little heads. Take care and try to relax as much as you can so you can try to avoid those flares..

Last edited:
I am truly thankful for all of your warm welcomes. I have been trying to keep my life as normal as possible, but I have found that I can no longer ignore it, and my stomach will not let me!! I am finding that I cannot be everything to everyone, like I would like to be, like I am used to being and that hurts more than the Crohn's itself sometimes. It is affecting my home and work. I find I get tired easier right now, and this bothers me. Time to learn how to relax and let go.

Welcome Kailua! You have come to the right place to get information, understanding and sympathy. Wow having a husband, 5 children and a dog would keep you busy enough without having to deal with this awful disease. Remember to give yourself plenty of time to rest - you really need it so that you can be there or your family. Best of luck!

Kailua - Welcome to the forum! I know where you are coming from - now only do I worry about my 11-year-old daughter getting Crohn's, too, but I feel guilty because the disease is causing so much of our income to be spent on me - for drugs, treatments, doctor appointments, hospital bills, etc. It also disrupts our plans for doing things, going on vacations, etc. I know they realize it's not my fault, but still, how can you keep from feeling guilty?