• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not hearing back about test results

Hello.

Three weeks ago, I had a pillcam test done. When we returned to the clinic, they said they'd have the results back in a week or two. We've waited patiently, and hadn't heard from them or received a letter in the mail.

So my mom decides to call them, and turns out my GI hasn't even LOOKED at the video! So one of the nurses said she'd flag the doctor to look at it yesterday, and they'd make sure he watched it. Oh, and the next two weeks he'll be gone on vacation.

So we call again today, and the doctor STILL hasn't even looked over the video. Nor has any other GI in the clinic. And the nurse says to my mom "Well I hope they didn't download the clips wrong."

They said they'd call back today, but the clinic's closed now and we never heard back from them.

I'm extremely irritated, and tired of not feeling good. I feel like they don't take me seriously.

We don't even know where to go from here. It seems fishy, like they're refusing to tell us if anything went wrong with the clips. Has anyone ever had this happen? Who should we talk to about this? Should we wait it out a bit longer? :(

If this was done in a hospital you can go to the records department and get a copy for yourself of the report. It sounds like your doctor is very passive and not really doing his job. I would try and get the report yourself. They HAVE to give you a copy, after all you paid for it! ( at least if you are in the US you did).

Hello.

Three weeks ago, I had a pillcam test done. When we returned to the clinic, they said they'd have the results back in a week or two. We've waited patiently, and hadn't heard from them or received a letter in the mail.

So my mom decides to call them, and turns out my GI hasn't even LOOKED at the video! So one of the nurses said she'd flag the doctor to look at it yesterday, and they'd make sure he watched it. Oh, and the next two weeks he'll be gone on vacation.

So we call again today, and the doctor STILL hasn't even looked over the video. Nor has any other GI in the clinic. And the nurse says to my mom "Well I hope they didn't download the clips wrong."

They said they'd call back today, but the clinic's closed now and we never heard back from them.

I'm extremely irritated, and tired of not feeling good. I feel like they don't take me seriously.

We don't even know where to go from here. It seems fishy, like they're refusing to tell us if anything went wrong with the clips. Has anyone ever had this happen? Who should we talk to about this? Should we wait it out a bit longer? :(

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
In the US (not sure where you are from) You can absolutely formally request copies of your records from the hospital. It may take a few weeks for them to process your authorization to release records and gather them for you via mail or pick-up service but you can definitely get them. That way you can see for yourself what went on and can even take your records to another doctor if you feel this one still is not of any help to you.

If your doc still doesn't look at your images, you have a few options about getting your doctors attention:

If you are upset, let you doctor's office know that you are upset.

Try to get an appointment or phone call in with one of his partners if you can to discuss the matter.

Also, if you are REALLY fed up, you can ask the hospital for a copy of it's complaint procedure or contact your state’s medical society or licensing board and ask how to file a complaint.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I had something similar happen with my pill cam results. I was told by a nurse that the results would be back in about a week. After about 10 days, I called to see if they had the results yet. I talked to a different nurse, who said, "Who told you it only takes a week?? It usually takes at least a month to get pill cam results back. It takes a long time to look closely at all the images and all the doctors are really busy. I'm sorry you were misinformed but it'll be awhile longer to get those results." It ended up taking about 3 weeks for me to get my results back.

With your doctor going on vacation, though, that does sound like laziness on his part that he didn't get the results to you before he left. I would keep calling, don't let them forget about you - keep calling and ask for another doctor to look at the results. Then when your doctor returns, ask him for his opinion of the results as well. Sometimes you have to be a pest to get anything done! Good luck, I hope you can get the results soon.

Again, I'm not sure which country you are in, but here - in the UK on the NHS - your experience sounds pretty typical. You often have to keep nagging to get anything much done. However, when something is urgent they usually treat it appropriately, in my experience. It's when they know it's to do with an on-going, chronic problem that's unlikely to need immediate attention that they start messing around. I would have thought there will be another doctor covering while yours is on holiday though.

I honestly think you have this kind of problem with numerous doctors - and it's not only a matter of how organised and concerned the doctor is, but also how good his/her secretary is, and how good admin is at the hospital, department or clinic in general. If tests results are sent elsewhere for analysis this adds another area of potential delays too.

Don't take it personally, and don't let it get to you. It seems to be a routine part of being a patient that you have to keep chasing things up.