• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What side is your stoma on?

What side is your stoma on, and where's the output? Click all that apply

• Stoma on the left

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Stoma on the right

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Opening to the left

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Opening to the right

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Opening in the middle

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Nyx

A quick poll for my fellow ostomites...what side is your stoma on? And is the opening to the left, right, or smack dab in the middle?

Nyx

Ooops...forgot to reply to my own poll...lol

Oscar is on my left, and the opening is to the left.

Nyx

I didn't have an option since mine was an emergency...but it's turned out for the best since I'm left-handed. But from what I understand, you can be a part of the decision making.

It depends on what you get, if you get a colostomy then it will be on the left side but if you get a ileostomy it will be on the right side. The hole I think depends on the surgeon. I believe they try to get it centered but it doesn't always happen.

wouldn't it be more convenient on the side? I would imagine you could notice it more on the front...or it getting in the way.

Yeah, so the stoma opening they try to get in the center so it will come out right in the middle but we all know our stomas have minds of their own and sometimes the hole will not be in the center.

My first 4 ileostomies were on the right.Then I ended up with it on the left because I developed 2 abcesses and one was right by the stoma which started leaking feces in my system and out a little opening it made into my stomach along with I had a hernia.My opening is weird I guess its center but pointing downwards?LOL

mine was emergency too, and it's on the right (i presume they asked a family member whether i was right handed or not). i do wish i'd had chance to discuss the siting beforehand, as i would have chosen to have it further down, away from my waistband area.

the opening is central on mine.

My Ileo is on the right, just above my belt line. The opening is more to the top - and that wasn't a poll choice. :(

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
colostomys are always on the left and illeostomies are on the right. and the hole is at the bottom, he looks a bit sorry for himself sometimes, all limp.

Ahhh...well my ileostomy is to my left now because of my hernia and abcesses.I have no colon or rectum.FUN FUN...Not really cause even though they said its permanant I still hoped it wouldn't be till my last surgery removed all that and now I have only 6-8ft. of small intestine they said.:(

I go Thursday to mark my Ileostomy by a nurse (Friday Surgery)
Should I ask to make it as low as possible?
i think it's a very personal choice where you want it sited... i'd advise you to take/wear a pair of jeans or trousers which you usually wear, so that you can see the location of the stoma & appliance with regard to your waistband.

i know if i'd had the chance to give my opinion, i would have had mine sited a good few inches below belly button level.

good luck with your op!!! will be thinking of you - pop in here and let us know how you are, when you can :)

Nyx

I'd opt for lower as well as my stoma is right at my beltline...very uncomfortable for wearing jeans.

Right side and was lucky enough to have it above my old scar, so I was used to this location. Anyone ever tries the ostomy amour? Got mine and LOVE it. Holds the bag and wafer on, and protects the stoma. Ah So nice, well if you have to have this, LOL

Right side and was lucky enough to have it above my old scar, so I was used to this location. Anyone ever tries the ostomy amour? Got mine and LOVE it. Holds the bag and wafer on, and protects the stoma. Ah So nice, well if you have to have this, LOL
where can you get it?

colostomies aren't always on the left. mine is a looped transverse colostomy and it is on the right. where they put it depends on what part of the intestine they are bringing out and it has to be coming through a certain muscle too so that affects if it is below or above the waist line. because mine is a loop i have an opening on both sides.

anyone else out there with a bulky looped colostomy? how long have you had it? had i known i was going to have a temporary one for so long (3+ yrs) i would have asked a few more questions. :(

Last edited:

Nyx

I have a colostomy too (not looped though) and yes, Oscar is a big boy. I find he's actually gotten more noticable over the past few months. Not sure what that's about. Still the best thing that's ever happened to me though :)

hey nyx,
if this is too personal you don't have to respond but what size app do you wear? just wondering? mine can be cut up to 2 1/4inch. just when someone says big i am curious. everyone else's always sound so teenie. 5/8ths inch and such.
susan

Nyx

@suzielouwhoo...I use a 50mm app. and my stoma just fits inside it (only a few mm room inside the plastic ring). Mine's a monster compared to some here :) But, as I keep saying, it's sooooo much better than the alternative.

Mine is on the right! I didn't have a choice, but I prefer it on that side anyway. Opening more to the right, and on the left side is like extra stoma. LOL

Mine is on the right, right at the waistline unfortunately so it's hard to wear pants that don't have an elastic waistband. With an elastic waistband, at least it's above my stoma. My surgery was emergency surgery so I didn't have a choice, although I think where it is, is best, I'm left handed.