• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My newest goal...and it's a big one!

I am planning on walking the 500 mile pilgrimage called the Camino de Santiago. I will start in western France and walk the entire distance across Spain to Santiago. I'll try to do it in 30 days which means a little over 16 miles a day, every day.

I'll have to carry a backpack with only essential items and try to keep it at or under 10% of my body weight.

I had a bowel resection and takedown of fistula in November 2011. I plan on the pilgrimage in October, a little less than a year after my surgery.

Am I nuts? Perhaps you shouldn't answer that.

No, I don't think you're nuts. I say go for it, if you feel up to it. Never let this b?&@?"d disease get you down :) Will you be doing it alone, though?

Will you be doing it alone, though?
You're never really alone on the camino - there are always people ahead and behind you. But my husband is trying to join me for part of it. I've had two friends (both female) who walked it alone.

Hello, this is my first time posting on here. I wanted to find out how you got on walking the camino de santiago. I am thinking about doing it next year and am particularly interested to hear about how you got on with the food and with toilet access.

Thanks!

I will start walking on Sept. 21 or so. I'll report back in when home. Food shouldn't be a problem, toilets might be.

Update on my planned 500 mile pilgrimage. My husband cannot arrange his schedule to walk part of it, BUT, my 19-year-old son will join me for the entire distance. He's struggling with motivation and needed a break from college.

We'll start together but have no expectations we'll stay together. We each need to experience our own journey. I'm not sure he can "find himself" at the side of his mother and will encourage him to hang with the friends he will undoubtedly make along the way.

I've allotted 5 weeks total, but traveling to and from Hawaii and adjusting to the time difference (12 hours) will take a little time.

Super excited until I did something to my rib cage about 2-3 weeks ago, then anxiety set in. Feels somewhat like a broken rib. Just yesterday it started to feel better and only bothered me when twisting, bending, and sleeping. I think I'll be fine by 21 Sept.

At this time a year ago, I was suffering from with severe diarrhea, weekly excruciating blockages , hardly able to eat, and worried I'd end up with emergency surgery or worse. Today, I'm fit (except for the temporary rib setback), eating most everything, and on no medications for the past 10 months except for supplements.

I have hope for everyone on this forum and it breaks my heart when I read stories of struggling comrades.
Buen Camino!

This all sounds great (apart from the rib and you've got three weeks for that to sort itself out). I look forward to hearing about it when you get back. As you say, buen camino!

Scl..fantastic!!i so want to do this pilgrimage too so I can't wait to hear your stories!i have a close friend who has a retreat house at the beginning of the journey in France near st jean de pied du port.her brother in law also has a hermitage there. I was there this past spring and it's gorgeous!they recommended that I not bring gear like tents,etc as there are plenty of places to stay.
Can I say baby wipes would be invaluable on the trek?if you have bum issues,also some butt cream of your choosing. Feel free to pm me if yOu would like info on that first hermitage at the beginning of the trek in France. There's also a doctor in st jean who treated me for a flare up who is actually very good!may god light your path!:hug: