• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dixon, Dickson Family - Crohns Disease

I have a curiosity. I have read that Crohns is passed down thru your genes at a rate of 55%. I know of no one with this in my family although there have been similar areas of concern in the bowel on both sides. I thought I would attempt to see if there are any Dixons or Dicksons in this forum who also have the gene. My Dixon line (formerly Dickson) hails from N. Ireland but were derived from a Scottish border line. Any Dixon/Dicksons out there with Crohns Disease? Thanks for helping me with this experiment.

adding

Hi Sarah - I'll probably hear from no one but it was worth the inquiry, eh? We actually live in Callahan -- about 30 minutes from the beach and City of Jax. And we just returned from a trip to Panama City! haha I see where You've had extensive issues with this. Were your other issues brought on by the Crohns? I have fatty liver and gallstones per Dr. Doolittle. My doc appt with Mayo Clinic is in a few weeks and i hope to know more about it. I always wonder if it's gallstone pain that I feel or Crohns pain? Stricture pain or ulcer pain. I am such a detective at heart ---- i will probably drive my new doctor crazy with questions so this forum is really going to be an asset. People have been terrific about offering info.

Last edited:
My gallstones got so bad I had to have it out...I think I'm working on some more kidney issues right now. My right kidney got really bad because I thought the pain was Crohn's and I ignored it for too long. *sigh*

I used to see Dr. Cangemi at the Mayo Clinic out there. He was wonderful, I actually felt like he listened to me. Good luck!

I've heard good things about him. I'm seeing Dr. Picco. I had the same experience with my so called IBS ---- assumed it was part of the deal. Now I have several strictures....no one ever really cared to look in there to see what it was until now. I've had 4-5 emergency room visits over the last 25+ years......there was always that....well, IBS shouldn't be causing blockages....sounds more like Crohns...but then you'd be skinny. Someone ought to get the word out to these docs. There are chubby Cronies!!! ha Best of luck to you - I hope your kidneys get better and you don't have any additional issues with them. Have a wonderful weekend.

I'm a Dixon, but only by marriage!
My husband's family all come from the North East of England (although none of them have IBD.)

Well hello Cousin!! My paternal line of Dicksons were along the Scottish/English border around the Castle Douglas area. From Kirkudbrightshire Scotland to Newry Ireland and on to the USA, specifically West Virginia. But we were not like the WVA hillbillies you hear of ---ha. Is Dixon the preferred spelling of that name in the UK? I was told that our name was changed to Dixon from Dickson by our great grandfather.

No Crohn connection here but it's fun connecting with you! Say hello to your husband for me and wish him my best.

My family are Dicksons and yes Crohns, plus Celiacs disease and thyroid disorders are everywhere in our family. Given the number in my family afflicted we probably are related!!! Our family migrated to Australia just after World war II.

I think there are many variations of that name including Dickerson, Dickey, Dickinson. My Dickson/Dixon family was originally from southwest Scotland....migrated to Newry Ireland around the Ulster plantation settlement.....migrated to USA (North Carolina, West Virginia, Alabama, Georgia areas). That is interesting a about The Crohns, Celiac and thyroid in your family.

My family are Dicksons and yes Crohns, plus Celiacs disease and thyroid disorders are everywhere in our family. Given the number in my family afflicted we probably are related!!! Our family migrated to Australia just after World war II.
Where did your Dickson family migrate from? Ireland or Scotland?

my mother had either Crohns or coilitis, as well as thyroid disorders her mother was a Dixon, but I had been given to understand that her Dixons came from either Co. Carlow or Kilkenny, maybe they went there from the North, did your Dixon's have the names Laurence, Martin, George and James popping up. It would be interesting to find out
Aoife

I have a curiosity. I have read that Crohns is passed down thru your genes at a rate of 55%.
This is not correct.

It is clear that there is, for some unknown number of people, a genetic contribution to their having developed Crohn's. Not a cause - but a contribution. This probably means that they are more vulnerable to developing Crohn's than someone who has a different set of genes.

The extent to which an individual may have had Crohn's "passed down" through their genes is completely unknown.

The number you are referring to is the heritability of crohn's. Heritability is NOT the same as genetic inheritance. It is a statistical way of trying to measure the extent to which the differences within a population can be attributed to genetic influences as opposed to environmental ones or interactions between the two.

If Crohn's was passed down at a rate of 55% then most of the people who have Crohn's would have many family members with Crohn's too.

In fact, estimates of the number of people with Crohn's who have a first degree relative who also has CD ranges from 5% to 22%.

Taking the highest figure, 22% of people with Crohn's have a first degree relative (sibling or parent or child) with Crohn's.

Dixon

my mother had either Crohns or coilitis, as well as thyroid disorders her mother was a Dixon, but I had been given to understand that her Dixons came from either Co. Carlow or Kilkenny, maybe they went there from the North, did your Dixon's have the names Laurence, Martin, George and James popping up. It would be interesting to find out
Aoife
James was one of our ancestral names. Last known migration was from Newry, Ireland....to North Carolina. Our Scottish ancestral home was Kirkudbrightshire. We are from Simon Dickson's line. Locations pertinent to my family in US would be starting from a land grant near Knoxville which later abandoned and moved to Duplin, NC. A famous councilman there...many were surveyors....some other affiliated towns are Franklin TN and Bibb Alabama. My later relatives are from Fairmont WV. There is a town near Franklin called Dickson or Dixon - do not recall. The Smithsonian has letters from our ancestor in US to Ireland and might show some connections if you google "Smithsonian Dickson Letters" you can read them. We also have some connection to Sanders. If you see any connection, I have an entire book on our line that was done by a family member who traveled to UK and researched. Also there is a reunion of Dixons every few years in Wise, VA. We are going to the 2013. Let me know if you see any similarities.

Last edited:
Per my GI, I believe the rate of incidence in twins is 55% so I probably mis-spoke out of ignorance. I'm not sure what that means but I believe it means that it can be genetic but not necessarily. ? Thanks for your clarification. As it turns out, my "Crohns test" - what is that? - came back negative for Crohns and cancer so I have ulcers in small bowel but no diagnosis. But when I research for ulcers in bowel - it always points to IBD & Crohns so I'm not sure what my diagnosis could be. Taking steroids to heal the ulcers for 30 days then back for more tests I assume.

This is not correct.

It is clear that there is, for some unknown number of people, a genetic contribution to their having developed Crohn's. Not a cause - but a contribution. This probably means that they are more vulnerable to developing Crohn's than someone who has a different set of genes.

The extent to which an individual may have had Crohn's "passed down" through their genes is completely unknown.

The number you are referring to is the heritability of crohn's. Heritability is NOT the same as genetic inheritance. It is a statistical way of trying to measure the extent to which the differences within a population can be attributed to genetic influences as opposed to environmental ones or interactions between the two.

If Crohn's was passed down at a rate of 55% then most of the people who have Crohn's would have many family members with Crohn's too.

In fact, estimates of the number of people with Crohn's who have a first degree relative who also has CD ranges from 5% to 22%.

Taking the highest figure, 22% of people with Crohn's have a first degree relative (sibling or parent or child) with Crohn's.