• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should i be doing the scd ? No d?

Hi some advice please ?? I am currently having a flare up but dnt have th D just pain .inflammation and extremely weak :( i have started th scd diet to see if this makes any diff to my symptoms but i notice that alot of you on this diet have th D but i dnt should i carry on ?

KWalker

Many of us have D before we start, but the diet corrects that. The diet isn't just about fixing D, it's about removing bad bacteria from your body. The diet gets rid of things like complex carbs and starches that feed the bacteria in your intestines causing inflammation to get worse.

Not only that, although many use it for crohns it is an overall way of eating healthier. Unless it's causing you problems I don't see any reason to stop it

Ok thanks for the reply just needed some reassurance to keep myself right i totally understand how this diet could make alot of difference although im only on day 3 so i guess i need to give it more time just feeling very weak today and low !:( hate my illness but love this forum to speak to others the same as me :)

KWalker

oh if you're on day 3 I could definitely see how you would feel weak. If you look through my blog I posted I felt kind of crappy for the first few days but I started to feel much better afterwards. That feeling you're having is possibly due to the bad bacteria in your body crying out for your attention so you would go grab something "illegal" to eat because without eating that stuff, the bacteria will then die off. That's how the healing process works with the diet; starving the bad bacteria.

I won't lie, the withdrawals will probably start to hit you soon. I went through a few days where I was ready to quit the diet because I wanted some chocolate and I would even walk barefoot in the snow to get it. That's how bad I wanted it lol.

Hang in there, and please ask questions if you need anything!

Thanks for the support i will carry on doing what im doing and try stay positive and i'll b sure to ask questions thanks :)

Hey there :) D has never been a major issue for me either, but I used to get a lot of pain from an intestinal abscess and from inflammation in the TI and sticking to the diet definitely reduced this pain.

No, I have Crohn's. The abscess caused me a lot of pain and tenderness in the area where it was. Also fever on and off, and vomiting.

Have you read the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle? It explains scientifically why the diet can help the actual disease and not just symptoms. It isn't a difficult book to read and I think you will find it fascinating.

Hang in there. You will feel worse before you feel better.

KWalker

Hey there :) D has never been a major issue for me either, but I used to get a lot of pain from an intestinal abscess and from inflammation in the TI and sticking to the diet definitely reduced this pain.
I'm so happy to hear this Grumbletum! I've had a significant decrease in drainage from my healing abscesses since starting the diet and I'm so happy that it will do so much more