• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Really bad headaches....

I keep getting really nasty headaches :( I have had one nasty one for the past 3 days :(, I can't concentrate, I keep forgetting things my memory's an issue anyway but it's not this bad :(, I have too put my hood up a lot and often keep it up, I have even had to turn the brightness settings down on my laptop :(. I can get really crabby and snappy at people I don't mean to but it's cause my head hurts :(.

Anyone else get this?? :yfrown: and what can you do to relieve it without going to the doctor??

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
With the sensitivity to light and sound, that sounds like you're having migraines. And if they're this bad, you really should see a doctor about it. Is there a reason you can't go to the doctor for this? I am not certain, but I never used to get migraines ever until I developed IBD - now I am prone to getting migraines. They're awful, so I understand what you're going through. There are certain medications that can prevent migraines (I take 25 mg of Amitriptyline each night as it helps me sleep and prevents most of my migraines), and there are also medications like Imitrex that you can take when a migraine first starts to stop it from getting worse. Please do call or see your doctor if you're able to, they should be able to do something to help.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I get migraines and take Imitrex for them. It works well for me. Definitely talk to your doctor about them and see if there's an underlying cause.

guest20

ellazmeanie
I had cluster headaches for 22 years same time every 2 year's for around the same length of time about 5 or 6 weeks they started just 2 weeks before my stomach problems in 93 seemed to subside around 2 years ago now, I have migraines and supposedly 2 other headache types now aswell.Take migraleve combo for the migraines don't like to rely on pain meds though thing I always wondered is if the headaches and stomach stuff are somehow related.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds take magnesium/b2 combo per neurologist to reduce the likely hood of migraines
He takes Imetrex as a rescue - works wonders

Until my Crohn's really kicked in, I never ever really got headaches. Now the majority of them are migraines. It's crazy, lights are painful, and I have super hearing when I have one hah.

My Wife is thinking I should go see a neurologist for them. Not a bad idea so I may go.

I would talk to your GI and see a neurologist about it. I'm not a fan of just loading up on meds so talk to both kinds of doctors and weigh it out and decide what you think would be best.

I've been experiencing severe headaches for almost a month, to the point where I'm on temporary disability. The neurologist thinks it could be venous sinus thrombosis, so I have a cerebral MR venography test scheduled. Once predisposition factor for venous sinus thrombosis is inflammatory bowel disease.