• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you take naps? Please answer!

Do you take naps, please answer

• Yes

Votes: 104 78.2%
  • NO

Votes: 29 21.8%

• Total voters

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi all, I really hope you are doing well and if not hang in there. Most people know I have the greatest hubby in the world but this morning he mocked me about being tired. First of all because we have a mail strike going on, some idiot phoned me at 7am and woke me up after a night of insomia. I have company coming, I have had to clean the carpets, run the dogs 3 times a day, go shopping for food, mow the lawns (2 acres) water HIS veggie garden, my flowers, fill the rain barrels, and I was tired this morning. He isnt home til next week and no time for myself.

So my question (many of my crohnie friends do) do you nap and how often? I can't because if I do I wake up with a hangover, just never could.

My husband will see this and know that I have reasons for being tired and he KNOWS I am not a morning person :yfaint:.

Thanks in advance, even if you arent a crohnie I want to know, so go, poll for me lol.

Love and laughter.

I love naps!
I get one in whenever I can. Even with a full night's sleep, I run out of energy mid-afternoon. I used to eat a snack to get a boost of energy, but a nap usually gives me the rest I need, without the calories... :)

rygon

not normally but when in a flare I am so tired i just fall asleep around 5ish, normally wake up at 7-8 then back to bed after a couple of hrs up.

I've always been very tired ever since high school. I've also been anemic too so I get tired very easily and it's hard to catch my breath. I often end up taking a nap before work or during the day just to get an extra boost of energy.

I don't like napping, and haven't really done so since the first trimester of my pregnancy when I seemed to be tired all the time. When this all flared up, I spent so much time sleeping.
I now have a job where I start at 6 am, so I'm usually in bed pretty early these days. I don't like napping, cos if I do fall asleep, that's usually me out for 2 or 3 hours and when I wake up I feel disoriented. But there are days when I just can't keep my eyes open and there is no point in trying to stay awake because I am just not going to achieve anything :)

I have a nap almost every day. On days I work I normally come home and go straight to bed for an hour just so I can function for a bit in the evening. I don't want my life to be just work and sleep so by having a nap I can do something in the evening even if its just sitting watching tv with my boyfriend!
I wish I didn't have to snooze but I Don't think I'd cope. Fatigue is one of my worst symptoms and coupled with insomnia I rarely don't feel tired :(

Crohn's Mom

Gab slept 16 hours (from 10 p.m. last night until 2 p.m.) today ! And here it is 6:30 p.m. and she says she's ready to go back to sleep! (she's supposedly in remission right now??) I say hell yes you deserve a nap Pen !! :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Me: I don't nap as a routine thing but if I'm really tired and don't have anything else to do of importance then I'll just go to sleep no matter what time it is. :p I'm currently dealing with depression right now so I'm doing my best to not take any naps at all and try to wake up earlier and go to bed earlier. I have insomnia too and it sucks but a nap can make me feel a lot worse. I prefer to just get the day over with.

Sister with Crohn's: My sister who also has Crohn's doesn't take naps either cause she thinks they are a waste of time and I tend to agree (unless you really need it).

Sister without Crohn's:
My oldest sister who doesn't have Cohn's but has 2 kids does take a nap every single day no matter what she has to do that day. She started doing this WAY before she even had kids so I don't really think her kids are that much of a factor. If you wake her up in the middle of a nap, Heaven help you. I called her one day because I needed a ride to the hospital and her husband answered and said she was napping but he would try and wake her. She screamed and yelled at him saying she didn't care who was calling or why. I took a cab. Naps make her evil. If she doesn't get a nap, she's fine, she just gets tired sooner but doesn't act all crazy.

Hey Pen, are you sure your husband and my husband are not related? lol

Mine is the best husband as well BUT when I don't feel so hot, he makes fun of me too if I have to take a nap.

I have to water HIS veggie garden and flower garden as well as do house hold chores. I am NOT a morning person either. I take naps when I feel tired. I don't care if the dishes are in the sink. They aren't going any where. The dust bunnies will still be under the bed multiplying so it can wait.

I have learned to listen to my body. If I am hurting (right now I am recovering from a nasty abdominal abscess that had to be treated in the hospital as an inpt. via IV antibiotics & opened/drained in the ER. Fun times!) I stop what I am doing, take something for the pain, and lie down. Don't care about what anyone says or thinks. They can pound salt for all I care.

GO FOR IT PEN!!! Take that NAP!!! Your body is saying, HEY PEN!! You are a Crohnie, not wonderwoman and guess whaaaaaaaattttttttttt.....sometimes we are going to drain everything you HAVE because we can. To that I say....Crohn's, you are a pain in my hiney! I am going to take care of ME!! IF I WANT TO NAP, I will NAP to re energize myself.

This is one crohnie who is "BEHNIND" you 100%!!!!

~Gutless Wonderwoman :D:D:D

I wanted to vote yes, but I can only nap on weekends. Even then I am such a light sleeper the fridge running wakes me up. Working towards retirement, then I will DEFINITELY NAP!!!

I take naps all the time and off and on I suuffer from insomnia. Its the worst part about this disease in my eyes. I feel lethargic much of the time. You have crohns you need to listen to your body not your husband. If you are tired then you need to take a nap or your body wont get better and you wont feel good. I do feel lazy at times but I remind myself it's not by choice but because I am sick. Take care of you!

Oli is 9 and he so tired at the moment, he is a really active boy but he will not give in and have a nap so I put him to bed early.

I feel for everyone who has this awful disease.

Terriernut

Oh, I so wish I could nap!!! I have to be very very ill to nap. Otherwise it's like I wake up feeling worse!

Never mind the fact that napping is impossible because theres a full day of work to do, and then another full evening of chores to do.

I wish I could nap! And shame on your hubby!!!!
:rosette2:

It just sounds like hes bothering you on purpose lol
That hangover or sick feeling I sometimes get. I only take a nap if I'm sleepy.

I try really hard not to, but some days I get so tired I can't function. Or I just fall asleep where I am.
This is what happens to me. I work full time, otherwise I would probably nap early in the day. As it is, I get home around 5 and try to avoid getting in bed. If I do nap I won't sleep well at night. But I just get so tired.

Yes I nap quite a bit. I usually do at around 3 in the afternoon because that is when I get home from school. I nap about 3 times a week I would guess. I feel that it always helps me get through the day, especially when my treatment was not going so well. If I get out and do stuff all day I really feel like I need a nap in the evening. A fun fact that I have heard is that statisically, people who nap live longer...dont know if that is true though.

Dont feel bad you have Crohn's Disease, you cant help how your body feels.

i am only active for 5 hours a day and my naps are 2 to 5 hours long. Dont feel bad it just means thats what your body needs. It is not fun and I hate missing so much but I know If I dont care for myself I will get even worse. I am also in a flare.:ghug: we all feel and understand how frustrating this is. Hope your day gets better!

I do now and then. Never used to but after 4 years with my girlfriend who loves a good nap I am now starting to become a napper. I used to hate it because I would wake up feeling worse than I started with however I've started feeling a lot better after mine now.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Some days I would LOVE to take a nap - but oh so many things to do!.....I have pulled off the side of the road on a long trip (more than 2-3 hours) to shut my eyes - and my husband does that too.....right now I feellike I could lay down and take a nap - but am at work!

i love a nap but its only if i can fit it around the kids and jobs,it really help give you a spurt of energy for a few hrs,i love my sleep when im not in the loo,bed is my favorite place

I answered "no", primarily because on weekdays I work about 10 hours a day. However, I am not against napping. Some days I wish I could crawl under my desk and have a 20 minute snoozer :)

The downside of napping is that it often leaves me groggy - especially if I was excessively tired beforehand and/or the nap lasts longer than an hour. I hate that feeling of having my natural body clock being off kilter.

A well-placed nap can be pretty good though. I remember in my early twenties I would take a nap at 10 PM and wake up at midnight to go out clubbing with friends. Good times.

I guess it is refreshing to see mention of the "hangover" feeling. It makes things more clear from a few weeks ago that I was definitely flaring. I had these feelings quite often and sought out nap time as much as I could.

Nope. I have two kids. One of them never naps so I can't nap either. I'm a terrible sleeper anyway though. I probably wouldn't nap if I had the chance to.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey, thanks to all who posted, almost 70% naps. I still can unless I am in the hospital (knock on wood) which has been over a year. I know that rest is so important.

I wish I could nap. I am just beat most days and when I am flaring, I crash by 8pm. The problem is that I cannot fall asleep when the sun is out. If I worked night shift I would be in big trouble. lol

So no, no naps, but I would if I could!

Love to nap...When I am flaring...I nap more..I like 20 min naps (sometimes more) if I can get away with it! :) But, rarely does that happen! S

Yep I nap, My partner calls it a nana nap, tend to come home from work , feed the dog then crash out on the sofa, but only for half an hour or so, problem is I just find it so hard to sleep at night, go to bed, toss and turn so I just get up and go downstairs,

oh YES I nap. I could not imagine life nap free. Sometimes the fatigue is just too much so you crawl into bed, and next thing you know you're engaging in a blissful sleepy nap world. But Pen, I also get those nap hangovers, about 80% of the time. But the sleep is worth it so I just pop a tylenol when I wake up.
Main point: I love naps <3

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Thanks Emily and all the rest of you. I can't believe how many people nap! They say it is good for ya. With my luck I would sleep the whole day away :lol:

I get an hour for lunch and I live less than a mile from work so I go home for lunch. I try to take at least a 15 minute nap every work day, because I go to school at night and if I don't take the nap I fall asleep in class. I agree, the fatigue and the pain are the worst parts of this disease. :( I don't typically nap on the weekends, but I also don't do as much so I'm not as tired. I take a nap if I'm tired though, and my husband fully supports me.

Yep, quite often i find myself needing a nap. Not everyday but still often. No matter how good a nights sleep i've had. Usually not long after eating lunch i'll just become exhausted and have to get in bed. Ill have about an hour long nap. And wake up feeling like crap but i eventually come round!

I have to take a nap or I would never be able to get things done! I work a half day on a Friday. Everyone at work talks about what there are going to get up to, I just look forward to going to sleep ha. It's good reading that others feel "hung over" when they wake up not just me.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
That is me, feel like crap if I take a nap! Thanks to all of you... nice to see the men answer too. Hugs to you all!

I am reaading this and I can't believe people take 15 minute naps. My naps (daily) are 2 to 4 hours long. What's a matter with me?

I used to nap every day because I needed it. I still need it due to severe fatigue (I have low B12 on top of the CD) but I start to panic now when I lie down to sleep. I spent 2 months in the hospital after an IBD surgeon did his very best to try to kill me, so now I associate lying down with almost dying. Irrational, I know, but I'm hoping that will time I will get my naps back. They are not only good for the body, but they're good for the soul. :)

naps

I wish I could take naps the only reason I do not is because I do not have the time.

I work full time in the offcie and I have three kids. 9-11-13

If I could I would but I always have to push myself because I have to much to do.