• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thanksgiving Meal during Crohn's Flareup

Been in a bad flare-up and not responding so far to the meds. Just started recently Humira. Today was my second time with the last two pens of the starter pack.
Tomorrow, going out with some family for Thanksgiving dinner. Any ideas of what I might be able to eat?
Turkey should be able to. But some of the other dishes am afraid of. Been on a cottage cheese, yogurt, canned chicken, soft-boiled eggs & Boost diet for almost two months. Don't want to make things worse.
Thanks and
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm afraid that it's a hard one to answer. If you're at a restaurant, hopefully you'll be able to look at a menu to see what's available. Good luck and hopefully all goes well for you! :hug:

What types of food usually give you problems? If fibre doesn't go down well for you, avoid most of the veg, but well-cooked carrots or parsnips might be ok. How well do you do with fatty foods? Potatoes without skin are usually a safe bet, but if you're not good with fats it might depend on how they're cooked (whether they're cooked in grease, oil, etc.). I agree with you that turkey is probably safe.

Do you know what other foods and dishes will be available for you? (I'm in the UK so we don't have Thanksgiving and I'm not sure what foods you'll have - is it a turkey roast similar to a Christmas dinner?)

Going to a restaurant that only serves traditional Thanksgiving meals.

Roasted Turkey
Sliced oven roasted turkey served with cranberry apple stuffing and homemade gravy,
served with chicken noodle soup, tossed salad with choice of dressing your choice of mashed potatoes & gravy, or mashed sweet potatoes, & green beans & corn.

Maybe better to not take chances and only eat the mashed potatoes without the gravy.

I would personally go for potatoes without gravy, white turkey meat, no rough veggies or salads. Bread (white) always works for me. Be patient with Humira. I've been on it since Feb and have virtually no more symptoms. Only thing is, I am gaining weight, which was great in the beginning, but now I'm a "normal" person who has to watch my waist! Happy TG!

I would go for the turkey for sure, maybe the mashed potatoes and chicken noodle soup too if you think you can tolerate it. Also if there are rolls, bread is always my big safe food during flares. Hope you get to enjoy what you can!

Going to a restaurant that only serves traditional Thanksgiving meals.

Roasted Turkey
Sliced oven roasted turkey served with cranberry apple stuffing and homemade gravy,
served with chicken noodle soup, tossed salad with choice of dressing your choice of mashed potatoes & gravy, or mashed sweet potatoes, & green beans & corn.

Maybe better to not take chances and only eat the mashed potatoes without the gravy.
Would the gravy be a problem? It's fine for me. I wouldn't have thought chicken noodle soup would cause many problems either. I would avoid the salad, beans and corn. Not sure about the stuffing.

Thanks for all the replies. I think the soup might be alright leaving the noodles. The only exception is if there is any amount of pepper. Made that mistake once where the pepper is some soup someone made me was a bad experience. When they made the same soup w/o pepper it was fine.
Cranberry sauce might be alright if it does not have the outside shell.

So going to go with Turkey, mashed potatoes w/o gravy and maybe some soup.
Probably glass of water to drink and the water around here is horrible. Don't tolerate sodas or acidic juices.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!