• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sacroiliitis & Flares

Hello all:

I have a question about joint pain and flares. I recently had an MRI that required I clean out my bowel. Amazingly, 24 hours after my bowel was empty and I had stared a liquid diet, the pain in my back, hips and knees lessened.

Is there a coloration between joint pain and flares. Anyone have similar experience?

Thanks,

Tom

I think there is a correlation between flaring and joint pains. When I was last flaring, there were days when I couldn't even move my wrists or hips. I think it is the whole inflammation thing.

This is actually my first post, but I hope I can help a little. I've had Crohn's for at least 10 years and have been recently (a few months ago) been diagnosed with Sacroiliitis. Looking back at my medical records, it is now obvious to me and my doctors that I've had Sacroiliitis for at least 10 years as well.
My Crohn's flare ups pretty much always coincide with my joint pains. I get a severe swelling in my joints near my lower back, hip, and pelvis which causes pain that shoots down my legs. Prednisone is the only thing that has helped my back, but it does not work well for my Crohn's. In the past, I've tried Azocol and Colazol (separately), that have only had little success. Next week I will be begin taking Remicade infusions which my doc hopes will help both Crohn's and Sacroiliitis issues. I'll post an update after a while to let you know if it has done any good.

Gteezy, Thanks. I look forward to hearing about your progress. My issues are compounded by a fall while rock climbing in my 20s that messed up L-3. Tom

Hello all:

I have a question about joint pain and flares. I recently had an MRI that required I clean out my bowel. Amazingly, 24 hours after my bowel was empty and I had stared a liquid diet, the pain in my back, hips and knees lessened.

Is there a coloration between joint pain and flares. Anyone have similar experience?

Thanks,

Tom
My Crohns and joint pains are closely correlated. Both respond to Humira, plus 10mg prednisone daily although I need physio, osteo and painkillers too. Any less and one or both soon return. It's all inflammation. It goes away temporarily if I have a pre-colonoscopy purge.

Paul: Thanks for the post. As my flare subsided, the associated joint pain also subsided. My Doc took a look at my MRI and said other than the known issue with L3, my hip joints and spine look good. Tom

Hello everyone:

I read the post here and thought I might could be of some help. I was diagnosed with crohn's disease in 2010 and also they found that I had a suture granuloma on the colon. That is a stitch that did not disolve from a previous surgery and it formed a granuloma over it. Anyway, the significance is that I have exactly the same symptoms you all are describing down the knee, hips, and sometimes the feet. I also have bertolotti's syndrome which is a transitional vertebrae and have been treated for SI joint, low back, and right hip pain for over 10 years. For the past year I had developed rectal pains and the knee, hip, ankle and foot pain and have been to at least 15 different doctors trying to figure it out. Because I am also a nurse I have done a lot of my own research online and have found some interesting facts. You all should read about lumbosacral plexopathy, mainly sacral, but they classify it all together in the medical field. More importantly read neoplastic lumbosacral plexopathy. Even though we probably don't have anything neoplastic going on, I find that anything in the intestine, ie; polyps, inflammation, etc. can cause these same symptoms. In my case I believe the suture granuloma is reacting against the spinal nerves as if it were a tumor. Also one thing they mention about it is that with constipation or a full bowel it will bring on symptoms. Another good thing to read about is nerve distribution from L3 to S5. These nerves control legs, rectal, vaginal, penal, knees, and feet. Mainly the tibial nerve arises from L3 and S3. Some interesting things to note. One little tip I learned was to use a fairly thick pillow between the legs at night. I had always slept with a pillow between my knees and in the fetal position that helped the back pain some, but I learned from a doctor online that if I was having plexopathy symptoms I should treat it as a meningeal tear and use 2 pillows or a very thick couch pillow. I decided to give it a try and it did help greatly! Hope this information will help someone today.

also another thing to look into is ankylosing spondylitis. I was tested for that. I have all the symptoms but the HBLA-27 marker came back negative. Still not certain that I don't have this.

Hi
I have hade the exact same experience, but after 1 weeks of food poisoning which left me only be able to drink liquids and soups, I was pain free for the first time in 14 months (SI Joint) and when i started eating again my pain came back! so i started thinking that my inflammation could be a dietary problem. so i start to exclude every thing that i had not consumed during my week of food poisoning to see if it would help. And believe it or not within 3-4 days i was pain free once more, and im going on my 3rd week now and i have almost NO pain!!!
Please Try it! It will be a little hard at the start but its worth it!!!!!!

I excluded:
All carbs from RICE, BREAD, PASTA, POTATOES and other flouer based products.
All SUGER!
All DAIRY products!
All PROCESSED FOODS! meaning having any thing that has 2 or more ingredients pree added by some one ells!!!

I have Ulcerative Colitis, PSC and Sacroilitis!