Share Facebook

11-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

Peanut Butter?

Can you guys handle peanut butter well?

I don't think I can live without it - I'd rather give up my gallbla--- oh wait...

But seriously, I love peanut butter. It's always been a staple for me. But I am beginning to think it doesn't like me. Is it a no-no for people w/IBD?
11-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
shazamataz

Can't say Ris - I'm allergic to peanuts!
11-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Jennjenn

I eat peanut butter every now and then....Maybe people try to avoid it because of the high fiber.....
11-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
beth

My Support Groups:
I tried peanut butter but dont think it liked me. Was in a health food shop a while back and bought some cashew butter which is lovely and doesn't cause me trouble.
Might be worth a go?
11-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Jennjenn

I only eat the creamy peanut butter ...I know that I would be in pain with any other kind...
11-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Wiles

peanut butter and banana toast is a staple for me.

I don't get crunchy peanut butter (as much as I love it) and I always get the natural stuff. When I first switched to the natural peanut butter I missed all the icing sugar but now I like it better.
11-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #7

i'm fine with the smooth peanut butter, love it i buy the low-fat version, i don't think it reduces my waistline but it reduces my guilt lol
11-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I am ok with peanut butter but I prefer Almond butter, much better for you and has potassium and when I eat a Almond butter and banana sandwich (not toasted) I love it. double potassium.
11-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

I get the homogenized smooth-style with no sugar or salt added. The natural stuff is too greasy.

I make peanut butter sandwiches with different kinds of fruit. Bananas mostly, but sometimes sliced apple or orange. If I don't have fresh fruit handy, I'll toss in a few raisins or dried cranberries.

Peanut butter and mango is awesome!
11-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
Crohns08

Organic peanut butter is a staple in the SCD and was a huge staple of mine for a long time. You should try it, some brands are awful but if I can remember the brand I used to get it was great and never bothered me at all
Yoga
Vitamin D
Gabapentin
SCD Multivitamin
Tums
Percocet
60 mg pred tapering weekly
Protonix
Levofloxin
Surgeries:
09/2011 - Draining an Abcess the size of a lemon!
10/2011 - Same abcess, different approach this time, open incision!

Add Me on Facebook!
11-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
fenway1971
Sports Crohnie

Have you ever tried almond butter? It's less fatty than peanut butter which might be good without senor gall bladder.

Crohn's Colitis (2003-present)
Kidney Stones (1998, 2003, 2008)

Medication
6-MP (2009-present)

Vitamins/Supplements
Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Turmeric

Super Powers
I am Batman

11-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

fenway1971 said:
Have you ever tried almond butter? It's less fatty than peanut butter which might be good without senor gall bladder.
Really, never heard of it, look up at post #8 Geez I hope Almond butter doesn't cause short term memory loss
11-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
fenway1971
Sports Crohnie

Jettalady said:
Really, never heard of it, look up at post #8 Geez I hope Almond butter doesn't cause short term memory loss
Hahahahaha. Obviously it does. Totally missed that.
11-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
I like the idea of peanut butter... but I had a bad experience with it when I was about 10 years old and really haven't been able to touch it since.
And my last flare started with a bag of peanuts... don't think it was enitrely due to the peanuts, it was just the last straw
11-29-2009, 06:38 AM   #15
BWS1982

The thing with peanut butter is the majority of it in natural versions is all healthy fats that are great for you, and no trans fats. The regular JIF/Skippy has some trans fats and more sugar added, as well as soy protein sometimes. The natural ones usually just have peanuts and salt and sugar (or not).

Reduced fat peanut butter actually has about the same amount of calories, most of the time they just reduce the healthier fat by a bit, the unhealthy fat by just a tiny bit, and add in sugar to compensate for any flavor. It's almost like it's just an alternate version and not a healthier one. One of the benefits of regular is the healthy fats, so if you reduce those and add in sugar but also reduce some of the saturated/bad fats, it's more of a wash in the end.

I love the JIF Natural ones, both creamy and chunky, it depends on how I eat it. Putting it in a big thing of oatmeal with protein powder is usually a staple, but I also eat it straight from the jar. Almond butter is great too.

-diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in Sept. 2006, currently 28 years old

"Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."

"Men with Spartan lives, simple in their creature comforts, if only to allow for the complexity of their passions." -The X-Files, S4
12-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
CrohnsHobo

I am fine with smooth, all natural peanut butter.

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #17
DanSJVDavis

Bothers my stomach from time to time. I think it gives me heartburn...though most things give me heartburn. Tried some more natural peanut butter though, called Smart Balance with flax oil and it hasn't bothered me as much. Still, I don't eat it all that often...unless it's baked into cookies.... mmmmmmmm! Peanut butter cookies!

I Was A Middle Age Writer, my blog on my journey toward becoming a published novelist.

Podunkville FX Pics
Podunkville FX
And here's my MySpace Profile: Dan Davis of Podunkville FX MySpace
12-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #18
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Maybe try a reduced fat version until the gallbladder stuff settles down....I love PB, but I don't really eat it as often as I use to???
12-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #19
Fog Ducker

I love peanut butter. Always get the natural stuff that is just peanuts though. Gotta stir it to put the natural oils back into it and keep it in the fridge, but other than that is great.
Sometimes even dip in with the spoon. And if Im feeling really good that spoon full then gets dipped into some chocolate chips
12-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #20
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
I like to dip green apples in it....That's enough food talk, I'm hungry now!
12-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #21
Peaches

My Support Groups:
I removed dairy from my diet about a month ago - so no more cereal for me :O( So - for the past month I have been eating toasted English muffins with PB and J for breakfast everyday. I think I'm doing pretty well on it. I eat the creamy Jiff Naturals brand - no fridge needed and not much oil separation either.

EDIT: I realized this morning that it is SKIPPY natural that I eat, not Jif :O)

Last edited by Peaches; 12-02-2009 at 08:23 AM.
12-02-2009, 05:21 AM   #22
BWS1982

Peaches is right, some don't need refrigeration. If you've only had the thick natural ones that need stirring and refrigeration, try the JIF ones, they don't need either, and can sit on the shelf like a normal PB, and spread like a normal one. It makes you wonder why the heck they didn't make them like that in the first place years ago, and instead you get concoctions that say "Peanut Spread" on the jar, telling you there's not enough peanuts in there to be labeled as "Peanut Butter"...
12-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #23
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Peaches said:
I removed dairy from my diet about a month ago - so no more cereal for me :O( So - for the past month I have been eating toasted English muffins with PB and J for breakfast everyday. I think I'm doing pretty well on it. I eat the creamy Jiff Naturals brand - no fridge needed and not much oil separation either.
I seem to remember a "non-dairy" thread a while ago, some people recommended putting almond milk on cereal (do I remember that right?) Sounds very nice to me and I'd certainly try it if I couldn't have dairy
12-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #24
Peaches

My Support Groups:
Thanks Steve. I have tried all those - they just taste funny to me. I am also questioning whether cereal doesn't make me feel bad as well. I know that sounds crazy - but I'm doing a test to see if I'm right. I kinda think I may not be able to tolerate the heavily vitamin fortified stuff. I usually eat Total cereal because it has lots of vits in it - taking a regular vitamin makes me ILL for some reason. Sorry - peanut butter side track.....
12-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #25
farm
Captain Insaneo

I like creamy p-nut butter. Crunchy p-nut butter is simply where someone at the factory failed to complete their job. I hate crunchy. If I wanted crunchy, I'd have a P-nut and Jelly sammich.
12-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #26
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRBOgtp0Hac
12-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #27
farm
Captain Insaneo

One of my fav songs!!
12-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #28
Nancy Lee

I LOVE peanut butter...usually I buy Jif.

And Peaches...I eat English Muffins with honey.
12-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #29
Fog Ducker

farm said:
Crunchy p-nut butter is simply where someone at the factory failed to complete their job.
Quote of the day!! LMAO!
12-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #30
Kev

My Support Groups:
Regular peanut butter seems to give me heartburn... the low fat varieties don't.

Crunchy peanut butter seems like potential suicide if you've got possible leaky gut or diverticular issues...

Its a good source of protein, but I'd avoid those that come with a full peanut at the top of the bottle... there was a problem years back with worm larvae in the peanuts.... I think it was the brand that Annette Funicello used to advertise.

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014