• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Disappearing appetite...

I haven't had much of an appetite recently, I go to try and eat something but all I do is have a few bites then that's it I don't have much else :( my appetite I think is getting worse as I have lost more weight :( the problem is my doctors think it is all in my head and that there is nothing wrong :( I can't get them to understand, I've got a dietician appointment soon and I have no idea what she is going to say/do.

I'm already miserable enough and I'm still trying to recover from yesterday :( what else can be done about food/appetite/weight issue?? I don't know what else my doctors and dietician are going to suggest, anyone have any ideas?? :ybatty:

Thanks HorseLover!!

I am glad to read that you are about to see a dietician, that was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. Unfortunately, loss of appetite comes and goes (much like everything associated with Crohn's). Try to drink your nutrients - orange juice, chicken broths, ensure or boost drinks, naked juices, etc. If you have the energy to make your own, go for it, but I know that's not always practical. Eat the moment you do feel some hunger, and eat whatever you have a craving for.

Hope you feel better soon!

My son is in the same boat a lot. Right now he is keeping his weight up by supplementing with 100% organic apple juice. He's drinking 3/4 of a 64oz bottle pretty much everyday. Juice has A LOT of calories.

I wish doctors would replace "It's in your head." with "I'm sorry, I don't know."
Try not blaming the victim because you are frustrated..

Your dietician thinks that? Odd...try to find a different one, someone who specializes with digestive disorders, and has been around the block for some time. Sending good and healthy vibes your way!!

Ive been having the exact same problem. I just have not been feeling hungry at all anymore. And when I try to eat,it really hurts my stomach. I try to eat even when i don't feel like it but I can only manage to take a few bites before I hunch over on the floor in pain. Ive lost a lot of weight from this and my doctor said if i cant gain weight or regain my appetite in a month then she will put me on prednisone and if that doesn't work then remicade. I know my mom cares about me and wants to help me but she is always trying to shove food down my mouth and I feel like she really doesn't understand how I feel. It's all very complicated isn't it?