• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Butyric acid: What is the future for this old substance? (butyrate)

David

Co-Founder
Do you know if Butyrate can be obtained somehow? By prescription? OTC? Telling your vet that your dog won't stop crapping on the kitchen floor?

kiny

Man, I almost feel like we should start a butyrate subforum under the Treatment section.
yes, I want to know the effect on the small intestine, if there is any and how prevalent BA is there

most of the butyrate subjects are about the colon

kiny

Do you know if Butyrate can be obtained somehow? By prescription? OTC? Telling your vet that your dog won't stop crapping itself?
Oh yeah, you can just buy BA from anywhere without issues. The issue is simply the delivery method, it needs to get to the right place. He talks about it in the article, in studies it was done through enemas, but if you use calcium type as a "transport" for BA, it has better effect orally. (you can find the BA / calcium np)

Oh well, the other studies produce BA indirectly through inulin. You use inulin (you can by it anywhere too) as a prebiotic (most common prebiotic), then you use probiotics and they (the probiotics) will ferment the inulin into BA.

FODMAP is against inulin, since it's monosaccharid, but some studies suggest that in essence .. both FODMAP and BA through inulin achieve a similar goal. One is restricting monosaccharids, which will change the gut flora composition and the other is proliferating BA and probiotics, which will also cause a change in gut flora.

And if that study from cornell Uni is right, that crohn and maybe IBS are related to gut flora composition, and a change in gut flora is beneficial, then both should help.

kiny

Also, from reading studies and talking to ppl through mails. IBS and crohn are closely related in many ways, while UC is pretty different from both.

So what was the end result of butyric acid research here? Does anyone have success with it?
I just started with a naturopath and am starting this stuff tomorrow.

i have been obtaining some extra butyric acid from parmesan cheese and i can feel it makes my brain work a bit better and overall i feel better, nothing for my intestines really though, but its not in a slow release capsule so its not going to be concentrated in any affected area. but im only getting i think 500 mg from the levels im taking. which is a out 1/6th of what would be considered to reach normals levels produced by the intestines.

i just started a butyric acid supplement though, but its impossible to tell which is having a good effect on me, the caprylic acid thats in the supps or the butyric acid, i believe this time its more the caprylic acid more so, it has seriously strong antibacteria properties it took my firm stools and turned it into super soft in like a few days, and i feel great. so no super clean cut answers here.

They had butyrate enemas for UC, but they do not work that great,possibly just for
clinical trials,cant remember.
Another way to get butyrate is resistant starch,which is fermented in the colon.
Green banana, unmodified potato starch, beans, retrograde starch, potatoes and rice that
have been cooled.
One possibility for UC is that it is an energy deficiency disease where the colon and colon
bacteria have been starved. If the bacteria are starved of RS, they can start to eat other things,become stressed and more pathogenic. Bacteria are starved,dont make butyrate, colon cells get starved from lack of butyrate,combined with modern western lifestyle/diet, everything gets out of balance.

One theory.
Old Mike