• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What is your weekly fitness regimen?

David

Co-Founder
I'm curious what your weekly fitness regimen is and how much you feel it helps with your IBD? Mine:

- Yoga at least 4 times a week
- Run 1-3 miles once or twice a week
- Self massage (I consider this part of my fitness) 5+ times a week

Hmm, I guess that's about it. Now that I have it written down, I feel I need to step it up a bit considering how sedentary the rest of my life is. Exercise helps my symptoms SO MUCH. The pain is drastically reduced by the self massage, the yoga keeps my spirits high, and the run helps me keep in decent cardio shape. But yes, I need to step it up.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
This past semester I went to spin class twice/week and used 5 lb weights for my arms.
Now that I've been exercising regularly again for 7 months (after about a year off...the shame), I'm ready for more.

The plan for next semester (beginning in January) is to spin 3x/week, plus attend a Zumba (dance fitness) class 1x/week, and maybe add in more weight work as well (keep those bones strong for the long term). I used to be a "semi-competitive" ballroom dancer and am hoping to get back a little bit of the joy I derive from dancing by attending the Zumba class. Not ready to subject a dance partner to my Crohn's lifestyle quite yet, lol, but Zumba is something you do individually.

I also live car-free and make it a priority to walk around the city as much as possible...and take the stairs! I do some self-massage (still planning to dig out golf ball and try David's technique when my pain picks up again), and I see a massage therapist every few weeks.

How it helps:
-Exercise is an optimal stress-reliever, including concerns and worries that can accompany IBD. Exercise is the natural end to fight or flight, after all (you're either fighting that saber tooth tiger or running for your life). I'm not typically a stressed Kelly at all, but after exercising I feel like I'm walking on air! Even the frigid walk home tonight (windchill dropped temps to -20) felt like just the nicest part of the day.
- I've got my balance back, which helps me not topple over from the lightheadedness I so frequently experience.
- I feel stronger and I feel better prepared to handle pain. I mentioned this in the "let's have an exercise forum" thread, but I can get myself to the YMCA now on days when, before I re-committed myself to exercise, I would have stayed in bed or on the couch because of the pain.
- I feel so much better about my physical self again. This is important because I am some 45 pounds heavier than my pre-Crohn's self and I do not like how I look. But, I can look at my better-toned legs and watch myself burn through an hour on a bike and feel proud knowing that I'm doing my very best.
- Taking good care of myself is an important part of my self-concept, and exercising is helping me feel better about my whole self again, too.
-Massage feels wonderful. There are additional, well documented, benefits, but mostly I just like how it makes me feel during and after.

I've mentioned previously that it kills my stomach to run. I am finding that I can do just a little bit more now than before (a few minutes, anyway), and I'd like to see if it will be possible to do a triathlon this summer, one of those "try Tri" events that encourage non-athletes to take part. My motivation to try to achieve this goal waxes and wanes these days, but it's on my mind, at least. I started looking into this in October and might start running the track at the Y to get started. Maybe. Hmmm....

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
Running hurts my gut too... but just for the first few minutes as long as I breathe and relax into the pain. Then it just seems to go off and I feel like I can run forever.

I walk the dog most days, (half an hour in the week, an hour or so at the weekends) and once a week I try and take him to flyball classes. But that involves me running up and down too, so I have to be feeling good. I have made a resolution that I am going to start doing a fitness video again when I go back to work in Jan, and also taking my niece out places like soft play or swimming. But I can't do too much in the way of cardio because my red blood cells are still too small. So I'm going to try gentle stuff at home and build my stamina back up. I would like to try yoga, if I can find somewhere suitable nearby.

I run 1-3 miles x 4 times a week. Although I'm on a running programme to slowly increase my stamina. Right now I can run for 20 mins solidly. I'm really hoping to run a 5k strongly soon. It would be a MASSIVE achievement for me as I've never really been into exercise.

Once a week I'll usually do some toning with weights and squats. OUCH.

Sometimes if I have time, I'll try and do some yoga in the week. I love the stretching but sometimes I get a bit bored doing it.

The begininng and end of my routines are all the same. 5 Min strenching/foam rolling to get all the kinks out. 10 min cardio on treadmil. Then I have a split routine on different muscle groups throughout the week.

Mon - Chest/Biceps
Tue - Traps/Quads
Wed - Rest
Thu - Back/triceps
Fri - Shoulders/Hamstrings
Sat - Rest
Sun - Rest

Last edited:

ameslouise

I look at my room mate's weight bench every time I use the washroom.
LOL!

I try to get to the gym 3-4 times a week. Sometimes I make it, sometimes aI don't.... and I do yoga once a week.

And I work on the third floor of a small office and do the stairs at least fifteen times a day!

Chest/Triceps
Back/Biceps
Legs/Abs
Shoulders/Traps

Two on, one off. I tend not to dedicate a day to a body part. It's funny I trained with a friend and I was like fancy doing back and biceps today and he replied "No, Monday is chest and triceps day" Lol. Funny how people assign a day to a bodypart. I found if I missed one day, it'd mess up my routine so I just do two days on, then one day off. And everytime I hit a sunday I rest.

Cardio (trying to get back to my 7 minute mile) almost every day and hockey a few night a week.

Mon = Bi's and calves
Tues = Off
Weds = Back/Shoulders
Thurs= Off
Fri = Chest/Tri's
Sat= Legs
Sun= Off

Do you do de-load Bobby? I will take a few weeks off every couple of months and cut as well.

Cardio (trying to get back to my 7 minute mile) almost every day and hockey a few night a week.

Mon = Bi's and calves
Tues = Off
Weds = Back/Shoulders
Thurs= Off
Fri = Chest/Tri's
Sat= Legs
Sun= Off

Do you do de-load Bobby? I will take a few weeks off every couple of months and cut as well.
Hi Mike,

Yeah - I usually listen to my body. Sometimes it catches up with you and you need a week or so rest. Come back feeling 100%!

Astra

I move my arm up and down with the remote control, and that's it!

I run around enuf as it is after little Autistic peeps!

I'm in remission since my Proctocolectomy so I plan to continue the running I started last summer. I would like to run about 25 miles per week. Seems like a decent balance with work and family. My next race will be a half marathon in April and maybe a 10k in March.

So thats 3 or 4 days of 3 to 4 miles
and one long run weekly of 8 to 10 miles

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I just got a dog so I've been taking her for walks every evening after work. I live very close to a dog park, so we'll walk there, I'll do a lap around the inside perimeter of the dog park while my crazy corgi runs around and meets other dogs, and then we head home. It takes about 45 minutes or so. Before I got my dog (which was only nine days ago!), I didn't really get any exercise. Part of my reason for getting a dog was to get some exercise. So far it's been a mixed bag, some nights after walkies I feel pretty good but other nights not so much.

rygon

When im feeling good I will go kickboxing. Normally 2x 1hr sessions a week, but can go up to 5hrs a week if im feeling good (normally last a mnth before i flare up again unfortunately). Walk the dog for 30mins most days, when i can get some mates together we go either rock climbing or snowboarding for a couple of hrs.

Have tried jogging but find it so boring, if i can be bothered i only do 4-5miles anyway

I used to exercise alot... then I went to nursing school and well....... Its been a few years now and I have no excuses, so trying to get back into it. Question for all you good people who are doing well. What would you recomend is the best way for me to get into running? I used to walk alot before nursing school 5-6 miles a day, but never ran. Also can any of you recomend a good easy to use first time yoga home DVD? Im not realy at a point where I can go to a gym or class. Thanks

rygon

I think with running you need a decent pair of trainers. Dont have to be the most expensive kind, but definately suited to your feet so try and get them professionally fitted.

Running part, make sure you warm up beforehand. Take it easy and slowly build up. I was able to do 3miles the 1st time i jogged and felt good about it, 2days later another 3miles, then 4miles day after. This lasted about a 2weeks until I started having pains in my knees and ankles which kept me from running for over a month. This was just because I wasnt used to it and tried to do too much too soon.

Although you most probably wont feel like it, stretching is a important part to recovery, so make sure you stretch properly for 5-10mins straight afterwards.

Not sure about yoga, but normally its best to go to a class 1st before buying dvds as you will have someone watching and correcting your posture/technique. Something that a DVD cant do

I do 3 sets of 10 reps each. Once a day sometimes. Once or twice a week others. the more I workout the more energy I have. Funny how that works :)

Butterfly

leg press

bench press

high pulley

Might add the stepper in there for the winter but I get enough moving around at work and walking the dogs a couple of times a day around the field.

oh I use a Weider 8515 home gym I got used for $100. Best investment for the money I could have made. Give me all the workout I could need for strength training that a $1000 machine would. And worth every penny since I actually use it. It is right in the den beside my computer chair so its not like I can't see it sitting there chastising me for lounging around on the comp :p

Last edited:
I've been in a rut the past month (got sick 2 times, and my son had surgery) but typically I'm pretty active at the gym and running. I'm set to officially begin my training next week for my first half marathon that is in May.

My goals for working out (which I was doing pretty good at ...so ready to get back into it).....
run 4 times a week - 3 short, 1 long
weight training - 2 times a week
spin class - 1 time a week

Now I have an even bigger reason to get back into the gym....I've gained over 20 pounds since I was put on prednisone last summer.....ugh I hate that drug. One more week and I'm off of it....whoo hoo!

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
My spin class was cancelled tonight due to low attendance, so I decided to try a strength training class using free weights and barbells (is that the right word?). I thought it was a 30 min class. Nope, class ran for an hour. My legs, which can pedal for ages, were shaking! Such a different kind of workout. I hobbled home. Clearly, my at-home weight training hasn't been doing the trick. Guess this means I've got to add a weights class to my workout. :)

ps: Rebecca, re. your question -- do you have any colleges or similar nearby? They might offer yoga classes that are open to the public. I hope you find something that works for you!

well i get on the crossclimber for an hour or so
weights for another half an hour i work lower body to upper body
usually 3-5 times a week
then im starting belly dancing tomorrow :)

I do ballroom dancing & I love it ...its definately helped me through the tough times! I also play badminton ...both give me something to look forward to in my sometimes very dull week! :)

Well, normally I skate at least twice a week (3x a week in the summer) and run/do another fitness activity at least once a week. Right now I'm trying to run at least twice a week since I'm not skating.

Not sure it has ever really helped my CD.

I used to exercise alot... then I went to nursing school and well....... Its been a few years now and I have no excuses, so trying to get back into it. Question for all you good people who are doing well. What would you recomend is the best way for me to get into running? I used to walk alot before nursing school 5-6 miles a day, but never ran. Also can any of you recomend a good easy to use first time yoga home DVD? Im not realy at a point where I can go to a gym or class. Thanks
woops! check out the couch to 5k! It's a great program for people starting out or starting over, and we have our own thread! :D

It varies by week, but I enjoy running (9-12 miles per week), Yoga (the breathing helps me with panic attacks), Weights, DANCE!, swimming, and bicycling. I'm lucky to have a fantastic gym that offers all of these things.

I do yoga, ballet, and walk my dog. I've tried running but on account of my ashma I can't. I think yoga really helps because it relaxes me and I've heard stress can cause flares.