• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi everyone!

Hi all, my name is Jonathan and I'm a 21 year old openly gay guy living in Calgary, AB, Canada. Long story short, I've had numerous doctors appts, tests and ER visits over the past 4-5 months, a few doctors I've seen now have suspected Crohn's disease. Currently awaiting a GI appt in Vancouver on June 12th and one in Calgary sooner (I hope). Never had an endoscopy or colonoscopy yet, so once those are done I'll know for sure on my diagnosis. I'm currently not working due to my health issues however I do plan on starting college in the fall, I'd like to become a lawyer within the next 5-6 years and have worked some big jobs already despite being 21 haha. I also have an anxiety disorder and GERD, so if anyone wants to chat about their anxiety I'm always available :)
Last but not least, I'd say my biggest hobby is keeping up with current events and politics, I love Canadian & American politics the most and describe myself as a liberal, progressive or Democrat (for you Americans haha).

nogutsnoglory

Ok, so we will be buds. Gay, liberal, crohnie, anxiety and GERD check on all lol.

None of my tests ever showed anything wrong till I got that colonoscopy. Some have IBD that doesnt show up on endoscopy but for most that is the most definitive test

Ok, so we will be buds. Gay, liberal, crohnie, anxiety and GERD check on all lol.

None of my tests ever showed anything wrong till I got that colonoscopy. Some have IBD that doesnt show up on endoscopy but for most that is the most definitive test
Haha I definitely agree that we should be friends, if we are similar in all those respects! Ahh see, that would make sense since I haven't had a colonoscopy at all yet and that's the test that I felt would be a defining factor. All my other tests have been normal too, even my Vitamin levels in my blood which I'm surprised about but I read that 10% of Crohn's sufferers absorb vitamins/minerals normally, could be an outlier.

Everything that you've said is basically the same as me in regards to all my tests being fine. The colonoscopy will be the defining aspect of your diagnosis as it's pretty much concrete evidence if the DR finds anything.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello there

Welcome to the community! :)

My disease didn't show up on blood tests until I'd ended up with an obstruction in hospital, and that was months after my diagnosis. It's not that uncommon for things to be fine on the bloods but show up on colonoscopies, or at least not as uncommon as the doctors seem to think anyway.

I hope that you get some proper answers soon and can start some good treatment.

Keep us posted on how you're doing and remember you can come and ask us anything you need. We all know what this is like and even if we don't know the answer to something we can at least support you and share our own experiences.

Everything that you've said is basically the same as me in regards to all my tests being fine. The colonoscopy will be the defining aspect of your diagnosis as it's pretty much concrete evidence if the DR finds anything.
Yeah, it's been really resonating with me that a lot of people had normal blood tests and everything else but then when they got the colonoscopy or endoscopy, that made their diagnosis confirmed. Hopefully getting a colonoscopy within the next month. Thanks Hunt!

Hello there

Welcome to the community! :)

My disease didn't show up on blood tests until I'd ended up with an obstruction in hospital, and that was months after my diagnosis. It's not that uncommon for things to be fine on the bloods but show up on colonoscopies, or at least not as uncommon as the doctors seem to think anyway.

I hope that you get some proper answers soon and can start some good treatment.

Keep us posted on how you're doing and remember you can come and ask us anything you need. We all know what this is like and even if we don't know the answer to something we can at least support you and share our own experiences.
Thank you!

Yeah, I've been thinking lately it's possible that I could have an obstruction since the diarrhea has suddenly stopped and I've been getting solid stools but I've been constipated, there's been some blood present when I go to the bathroom though. I really am starting to think that I am an outlier when it comes to blood tests haha, I do take vitamin supplements too as well so that could be why I'm getting enough. I will definitely keep you all posted on my situation, thank you for the support! I should have joined the forum a while back :)