• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade infusion survival kit?

Hello,
My 13-year-old son begins his first Remicade infusion tomorrow at our GI's infusion clinic. I am wondering if anyone has advice of things to include in a "survival kit" of sorts to get through the appointment and back home? We have a 3 hour trip so I would prefer not to have any surprises that I'm not at least somewhat prepared for.
Thanks!
hockeymom

Tesscorm

Staff member
You might find this link helpful, it contains lots of info from parents whose children are on remicade.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=44907

As far as a survival kit, my son takes only his ipad otherwise he just sleeps. I have been told that being well hydrated helps, so I urge my son to drink lots of water on infusion day. Have read other kids take snacks as well.

I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions. :)

I'm starting a couple of weeks and have been making a mental cheat-sheet based on a few threads here and tips from friends who have done chemo. [I've also started adding ideas from this thread.]

- antihistamine (loratadine for me)
- Tylenol
- iPad & charger
- book
- snacks
- baked goods to share with staff (reportedly makes them extra-nice)
- Gatorade or similar (hydration)
- phone
- sweater (in case it gets chilly)
- med notebook

Last edited:
My son took any school work he needed to complete, kindle or laptop. The IV lab my son uses is in his GI group's office. They have one room that is quiet for study, reading etc another that has Wii, Xbox 360 and DVD with huge flat screen so the kids can bring a movie or game and they vote and take turns on which they do. The group of kids C infused with eventually started timing their appts so they'd always be together and could decide at one infusion what the plan was for the next. The nurses provide snacks and drinks.

My 11-year-old just had her first infusion today at a local hospital. We took books (for both of us), DVD's, iPad, etc. The hospital was very well equipped and gave us lots of stuff too. The only thing I wished I'd had with me were a few snacks. I did get lunch from the cafeteria, and my daughter ordered to our room, but a few small snacks would've been nice while we were waiting to get started. Actually, I also wished I had a sweater because I did get a little cold. Everything went really smoothly and it was a huge relief to have the first one over with. Good luck!

My son had his first infusion in August. He was diagnosed last year and is 10. The anticipation of the infusion was worse than the experience. He told me last week that he likes going for his infusions. We typically bring homework so that when he leaves he has a free night to go to soccer or football practice and get all his energy out!

We do buy a snack for him - anything he wants- and let him play games on his IPAD. The time goes by fast and we enjoy our time together.

I just had my first infusion, I took my phone and charger so I could surf the internet/read books/play games on my phone during the infusion and wait time afterwards. They offered us tea/coffee and biscuits regularly and I was also offered a sandwich towards the end of my wait time as it was midday. But I am on EN and just starting a reintroduction diet so I just drank some water and had 2 Fortisip drinks whilst I was there. In a few weeks I can try tea so I will do that and might bring my own soy milk as I won't be able to have dairy yet.

So really some kind of tablet and snacks would be my advice.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I'm a big kid and my infusion day kit is similar to what everyone has mentioned.I can get up and walk around if I'd like,rather then sitting the whole time.I like to read or chat/text with a crohnie. I really like the game room/study room idea Clash wrote about. Kids must like that. Heck,I would!

I'm a big kid and my infusion day kit is similar to what everyone has mentioned.I can get up and walk around if I'd like,rather then sitting the whole time.I like to read or chat/text with a crohnie. I really like the game room/study room idea Clash wrote about. Kids must like that. Heck,I would!
Yeah, how about some fun for the big kids too?!

They always give me benadryl/tylenol/solumedrol as premeds, so I usually sleep through at least part of the infusion. My mom is a quilter, and hospitals are always cold, so when I first started Remi infusions as a kid, she would always bring along one of my favorite quilts to make me feel more comfortable.

I know it sounds strange, but try and make it into something to look forward to. I used to dread my infusion days, and while there are always side effects to deal with for the few days after, I actually kind of like them now. I consciously don't bring a laptop/ipad, and I leave my cell phone off. I generally just bring a book to read or a sketchpad or something, and it's my downtime when I don't have to worry about school or checking e-mail or anything else. That's more of a psychological "survival kit," but it's changed things a lot for me. :)