• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Geez Louise - how many laxatives do I need?

Colonoscopy and endoscopy in 2 days and took my first lot of magnesium citrate about 4 hours ago. Nothing yet. So, I took a couple of the dulcolax. I know, that's a timed release thing and should work in the morning. But if it doesn't, I should probably look at chugging some miralax too?

Bowel, don't fail me now!!!!

I had a CT colonography several years ago and it was a bit of a bust as I was still full of you know what. Any recommendations? I'm now on liquids only and am trying to drink as much as I can. It was pretty hot today and I was working outdoors and probably sweat everything I drank earlier.

If I don't get a movement in the morning, I'm open to suggestions.

I took an extra 20 mg of dulcolax spaced out over about 14 hours and that seemed to help. I was so paranoid that whatever they had me on wouldn't clean me out properly and it would have been a waste of time. It worked alright. I think it's still working now. The magnesium citrate did nothing for me, which was the initial part of the bowel prep and so having the back up was good. (No pun intended.) Now just waiting on the results of the celiac sprue test and other random biopsies for IBD, colitis etc. Couldn't get to the region of most concern though. I'm sure it will have to be totally obstructed before they even bother.

With my edno, colonoscopy and pill cam I was given picolax for all of them. I would have thought they'd provide you with the proper industrial strength lax. to get you cleared out for a good view. I'd ask them about that.

Lady Organic

Staff member
for a full coloscopy my preparation of choice is the big bottle fulled of water with that laxatives powdered that was common preparation 10 years ago and before. Now they have made it easier with a smaller preparation only 1 drink to take and a few pills. Once i had it and it made me feel very sick (migraine) I 'll never take that option again. And I have to ask for the older method.

The big tank (im sorry I dont remember the name) must be drank the afternoon (within 2 or 3 hours) the day before the coloscopy. ONly clear liquids are allowed to be drunk the rest of the evening. The big tank preparation is really unpleasant but it works like a charm.

if your preparation doesnt seem to work, call the staff asap.