• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Plantar Wart, HPV, Remicade?

DS has a plantar wart on his foot. We treated with OTC salicylic acid and now it's... really gross (and I wouldn't suggest Googling pics... yuck!!). I've read Mayo and WebMD and saw all the possible treatments, but am wondering if anyone here has experience in light of of him being on Remicade, mtx, and having Crohn's. If I take him to his pediatrician, I'd like to have some knowledge on the do's and don'ts since his pediatrician isn't always up on the Crohn's connections (he tries).

Also, and I haven't had time to look into this, it's the HPV virus, which is a vaccine we have yet to do. Is it related? Would the vaccine help prevent further warts? Or are we talking about different things? Not looking for an HPV debate. We've held off for reasons of our own, but am still educating myself.

Any input or suggestions appreciated!

my little penguin

Staff member
Hpv vaccine covers different strains than planters warts as far as I know
Ds has had them twice now
Both resulted in cellulitis and abx which clear the wart
Highly recommend a dermatologist that is familiar with crohns
Ds sees an adult dermo since they have more Ibd experience

Good luck

Maya142

Staff member
I don't have any advice about warts, but we just did the HPV vaccine and my kiddo did great! We held off because her pediatrician and rheumatologist both warned me she might flare with the vaccine and I was terrified, but she was fine. Sore arm and tired for a day but no major flares. I'm so relieved!!

Just in case you ever want to get the vaccine. Also, the shots do hurt, but they're not terrible.

Good luck!

Just a warning about warts.. mine have been spreading like crazy on immunosuppressive therapy. Can't get them under control..very frustrating!

Just a warning about warts.. mine have been spreading like crazy on immunosuppressive therapy. Can't get them under control..very frustrating!
Yes, this is a concern. The one he has has been around for a year. It's never bothered him really until he got a new pair of athletic shoes and now something is rubbing it. I do see another very small one forming the same foot.

I'd like to have a simple solution to the wart issue too. My son has a cluster on his toe, which we have been treating with OTC topical meds, to no avail. Maybe an appointment to the go is necessary.

I thought the HPV vaccine was to protect against cervical cancer (and maybe genital warts?), but I didn't know it it would protect against common/plantar warts. Is this so?

Maya142

Staff member
I don't think so but here is some more info: http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/parents/questions-answers.html

Q: If HPV infection is so common, is it really that bad?

A: Most people with HPV never develop symptoms or health problems. Most HPV infections (9 out of 10) go away by themselves within two years. But, sometimes, HPV infections will persist and can cause certain cancers and other diseases. HPV infections can cause:

cancers of the cervix, vagina, and vulva in women;
cancers of the penis in men;
and cancers of the anus and back of the throat, including the base of the tongue and tonsils (oropharynx) in women and men.
HPV can also cause genital warts in men and women. The types of HPV that can cause genital warts are not the same as the types of HPV that can cause cancers.

Q: How many people get cancer and/or genital warts from HPV?

A: Every year, about 17,600 women and 9,300 men are affected by cancers caused by HPV. About 180,000 women and 160,000 men are affected by genital warts caused by HPV every year. Also, about 1 in 100 sexually active adults in the United States have genital warts at any given time.
2vHPV, 4vHPV, and 9vHPV all protect against HPV 16 and 18, types that cause about 66% of cervical cancers and the majority of other HPV-attributable cancers in the United States (1,12). 9vHPV targets five additional cancer causing types, which account for about 15% of cervical cancers (12). 4vHPV and 9vHPV also protect against HPV 6 and 11, types that cause anogenital warts.
We did it because the cervical cancer risk is higher with IBD.