• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not sure where to go

Hello, all! Had a ruptured appendicitis in 2014 with a Crohn's scare showing some inflammation on a CT scan. Long story short, docs at the hospital were all saying Crohn's, but when the colorectal surgoen had me open, who is very well regarded in his field, he said my bowels looked "completely normal", and that Crohn's has a "distinctive look" which I didn't show.

Since then, my abdomen's been giving me some problems that come and go. Some sharp pain, which is generally fairly mild. Eating gets rid of them for a few hours. The worst are headaches...almost every day around 10am-12pm get some intense pressure headaches. Get occasional upper back pain. No symptom is disabling, though, and I can go about my business. Sometimes the symptoms are gone for days, and I assume all is fine and forget about it, but they seem to come back in differing combinations. Also have hemorrhoids from time to time that flare, but have had those for years.

I've been back to the colorectal surgeon twice. I asked him each time about Crohn's and he reassured me that he doesn't think I have it. Not sure if now I should see a different GI or just go to a general practitioner, and where to start looking for one.:sign0085:

I would go see a GI or two or until you have the answers you need.

I worked for a GI and a Surgeon before my DX. It was not uncommon for a patient- usually male- to be Dx with CD because of an appendicitis.

Trust yourself- we are our own best advocates.

Good Luck!

Lauren

I worked for a GI and a Surgeon before my DX. It was not uncommon for a patient- usually male- to be Dx with CD because of an appendicitis.
Thanks, Tots, and doctors have said that CD can cause an appendicitis.

Attached is an image of my laparoscopic appendectomy back in 2014. Surgeon's note is "Normal Small Bowel". Graphic :dance:

Despite that, and though my stools are normal, my heart says I have Crohn's, not to get too far into the dangerous business of self-diagnosis.

I have an appointment with a new GI listed with CCFA in 4 weeks. I guess new patients are pushed to the back of the line. :frown:

I just hope that if I do have CD, it's mild enough and the medications not too disabling.

Attachments

If its in the terminal ileum, its very hard to get to.
Mine only shows on a CT scan with contrast and a small bowel series.

My lab work is always normal. Except my VitD Always very low.

Talk to your Dr out those things. It took forever to get my DX. It was not fun and in the end I switched Drs. I had a Dr that was not big on listening to women.

Good Luck and keep us updated

Lauren

If its in the terminal ileum, its very hard to get to.
Mine only shows on a CT scan with contrast and a small bowel series.

My lab work is always normal. Except my VitD Always very low.

Talk to your Dr out those things. It took forever to get my DX. It was not fun and in the end I switched Drs. I had a Dr that was not big on listening to women.

Good Luck and keep us updated

Lauren
Thanks! The above was the colorectal surgeon. I made an appointment with a GI who I've never seen before. Should I just go back to the colorectal surgeon?

Thanks, Tots, and doctors have said that CD can cause an appendicitis.

Attached is an image of my laparoscopic appendectomy back in 2014. Surgeon's note is "Normal Small Bowel". Graphic :dance:

Despite that, and though my stools are normal, my heart says I have Crohn's, not to get too far into the dangerous business of self-diagnosis.

I have an appointment with a new GI listed with CCFA in 4 weeks. I guess new patients are pushed to the back of the line. :frown:

I just hope that if I do have CD, it's mild enough and the medications not too disabling.
Can you call and ask if there are any cancellations that they write you in for an earlier appointment?

UPDATE: GI doctor ordered an ultrasound, which came back normal. Next step, I'm requesting a colonoscopy, and then an endoscopy.