• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Freaking out roommate is really sick don't know what to do

My roommate has Crohn's and he is really sick he keeps throwing up like nonstop for the past hour he has been trying to take sips of water . I'm not really sure what to do. He said he doesn't want to go to the hospital. I have only known him for like a week. Don't know a lot about Crohn's are you suppose to throw up ??

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
You can throw up but there's always a reason such as a blockage (which would be my major concern if he can't even hold down sips of water). Does he have any other symptoms like extreme pain, fever etc? Is it possible that he might be sick with the flu or something rather than it being Crohn's related? Did he take any kind of medication or drink any alcohol?

There's this thread where members talk about their experience with a blockage or partial blockage: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=29625 If your roommate isn't aware of the risks of a blockage then it would be good to inform him that if he does have one it is serious and he does need to go to the hospital as they can be life threatening. As of right now you can't force him to go but make sure he's aware of the symptoms. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/intestinal-obstruction/DS00823/DSECTION=symptoms

Keep us posted.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Jennifer he is in a great deal of pain you can tell just by looking at him I'm not sure of a fever. He has been sick since Wednesday and it got really bad today I kinda don't think it's the flu. Thanks :)
Iblair I believe he has been on it for awhile

Iblair I think it was brown form what I can tell from the puke on the carpet is that bad (I hate it when people are sick I freak out )

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ya if these symptoms have been off and on and are now even worse then a trip to the ER would be a good idea. Crohn's can create a lot of inflammation which alone can make the intestines more narrow yet chronic inflammation can cause scar tissue as well which also narrows the intestines. When that happens food can get stuck and create a blockage which makes everything you try to eat or drink come right back up. If its not treated in time it could perforate the bowels which leads to even more problems (infection which can cause you to go septic, infection in the blood which is life threatening). Encourage him to go to the ER or at least ask if you can call his GI office to see if they have someone on call during after hours and see what they suggest (although they may just say to go to the ER).

nogutsnoglory

You can't force him to goto the ER but you can strongly urge him to do so. It's also unfair on you to have to live in a room with someone who is constantly vomiting.

I would speak to the Resident Assistant, sometimes they or the head RA can have pull and talk with irrational students.