• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Obstructions

Hi all

This is probably a stupid question, but when someone has an intestinal obstruction what actually *is* the obstruction? Is it bad inflammation/scarring/undigested food? Or can it be any number of things?

Thanks [emoji5]

I believe it can be a number of things. I had an obstruction that resulted in a resection. In my case is was from inflammation and scaring.

I had an obstruction and it was a kink in the bowel. It was after I had an ovary removed so the put an NGO tube in and waited it out.

Hi all

This is probably a stupid question, but when someone has an intestinal obstruction what actually *is* the obstruction? Is it bad inflammation/scarring/undigested food? Or can it be any number of things?

Thanks [emoji5]
I think all of the above. It's a tube that food has to pass through, so the narrower the more likely something gets stuck. Inflammation makes the tube narrower, and with persistent inflammation over time scar tissue builds up making it permanently narrow. I guess if it gets really bad it could close completely without food getting stuck in there, but then you might not know until you ate.

I've had obstructions due to a narrowing but I've also had a physical obstruction with 2 large stones not able to pass thru the terminal ileum.....obviously requiring surgery! But adhesions on the outside of the bowel can also cause obstructions!

emmaaaargh

Staff member
I've had obstructions due to narrowing and then food being stuck in it (thanks, apples, I used to love you so much!!) but I've also had obstructions due to adhesions on the outside of the bowel. They end up pulling at the bowel and twisting it so that it blocks off and nothing can get through - that's how my doctor described it to me. But for both 'types' I end up doing the same thing: fluids only for 48 hours and then it usually resolves.