• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Non-narcotic pain meds after surgery?

I'm going in for an ileocolectomy next week at Massachusetts General Hospital. Years ago I had a small bowel resection and remember having patient-controlled anaesthesia (PCA) with morphine for pain management.

I was advised that now they give you gabapentin and a "mix of non-narcotic" pain medications after surgery. This makes me a bit nervous that they aren't using narcotics and I wonder if this is really enough for pain management? Does anyone have experience with this?

I always am given scopolamine patches for nausea and pain plus fetanyl patches and oxycodone. I have never heard of no narcotics for post operative pain. Gabapentin is a seizure med that some claim helps neuropathic pain but has zero effect on acute pain. Good luck!

hawkeye

Staff member
I had dilaudid in my PCA when I had my resection 2 years ago. They send you home with a prescription for it also when you are released and the discharge instruction sheet recommends getting it filled. I had surgery on a Thursday and the PCA went away on Monday and I was switched to Tylenol (full daily dose). I think they leave an order open for dilaudid incase the pain gets too much for the tylenol.

I had a laparoscopic ileocecetomy earlier this month, and they actually gave me an epidural PCA while I was in the hospital - they transitioned me off of it and onto oral meds on the 4th day before releasing me on day 5. I think there was a combination of narcotics (maybe fentanyl?) and a local anesthetic. We had a few hiccups (too high a dose = numb legs = can't walk as directed by doctors) but it worked quite nicely for most of my stay. The pain was well-controlled once we had it figured out, and I felt ready to go home on Day 5.