• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Self injection for starter dose of Humira

My Humira is supposed to arrive today, 5 weeks after starting the whole process.

Humira had assigned a nurse to help me, but because of the wait she's no longer available and they'll have to assign someone else.

I really don't want to wait any longer and although it would be great to have a nurse on hand to show me what to do, and in case I have any reactions, it doesn't look that difficult.

What would others recommend? Wait several more days for a nurse, or go ahead and do it myself?

Thanks

Dan:soledance: (mmmmm, strawberries!)

my little penguin

Staff member
Humira takes 3-5 months to become fully effective
I know you anxious to start
Have you given injections before for other meds ( Mtx )?
Is it the auto injector or the syringe ?
What does your doctor's office say ?

Humira takes 3-5 months to become fully effective
I know you anxious to start
Have you given injections before for other meds ( Mtx )?
Is it the auto injector or the syringe ?
What does your doctor's office say ?
It's the pen, not the syringe (I believe, haven't gotten it yet.)

I haven't injected myself with any medications before, but have no issue with needles since I regularly donate blood and get weekly allergy injections.

Haven't expressed to the doctor's office my desire to do it myself. Was planning on discussing with the Humira ambassador after it arrives.

Yes, I'm an extremely impatient person! I've been sick for several weeks so want to get it going as soon as possible.

Personally I wouldn't inject myself with a drug I've never had before, not because I couldn't do the injection successfully but in case I had a bad reaction to the drug and needed a medical person there to do something about it.
Of course, we're all different and you must do whatever you feel happy with. Me, I'd wait.
Bunty x

When I called the Humira ambassador earlier, they said that some people call them when they're about to do the injections, and walk through it on the phone. I think I'll do that. That way if something happens weird I won't freak out and they can give me advice.

Edit: Local nurse just called me. She's willing to come here tomorrow morning, so I'll wait for her. Didn't think they would come out on a weekend.

Last edited:
Glad to hear the nurse is coming quickly. I had my starter dose done at my GI's office. I did all of the injections, but the nurse guided me with the first one.