• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just had an ileostomy for an abscess

that wouldn't go away. I the ileostomy on Jan 11th was released Jan16th and haven't had any problems until today. I fell the same abscess coming back. How is that possible? It feels like its in the same place. I don't know what to think. I going to call me surgeon in the morning. Any body else have advice or something to tell me?

Nyx

I have no advice for you beyond saying that abscesses are bitchy! I have the same one in my ass cheek that's been there on and off for 3 years...I just keep draining the damn thing when it gets painful. Sorry you went through the surgery only to have it come back so quickly :( Hopefully your surgeon will have some advice for you.

annawato

Staff member
Herndog, I had my first ileostomy done in 2010 largely because of an abscess - the surgeon went in to do a resection but because everything was in such a bad way he instead just cut out a small bit of bowel then gave me the ileo to allow that to heal and rest the bowel. I had that for a year and was relatively well for that year but did have times when I felt like the abscess was returning - I'd just increase my pred until the pain disappeared but I would not recommend this. After being rejoined and having more bowel removed I was ok for awhile then the abscess returned (plus others). I was in and out of hospital for months at a time until I had another resection and ileo 0n Nov 23 last year. This time the surgeon also removed an area outside of my intestine where the main abscess kept reforming - sorry I'm not clear exactly what, and also cut away numerous adhesions of the bowel to the back of my stomach cavity. Post surgery it was discovered that I'd developed a "collection" which I understand means uninfected abscess, under my liver which is about 9cm x 6cm (4"x2"). Its not giving me any pain or fevers so they are hoping it will be reabsorbed. I recently had an ultrasound and it had only grown so I haven't got high hopes of reabsorption.
Anyway, the point of this long story is that is highly possible your abscess has returned, or it could be a new one caused by the surgery. You should definitely contact your doctor or surgeon and let them know what is happening particularly if you are having pain or fevers. I can't believe how little time they had you in hospital. Was it keyhole surgery or are you super tough? :)
Let me know how you get on, intestinal abscesses are such a nuisance and seem to be very hard to get rid of in my experience. I really hope your pain is not the abscess and if it is that they can drain it and give you a course of oral antibiotics rather than having to return to hospital. :goodluck:

I got mine in Sept 2012. I still have some problems :( Currently on IV meropenem (antibiotic), going on my 3rd month of it. It seems to be helping me more than any of the others have. I also have a seton stitch in my perianal abscess now fistula to help with drainage because it keeps filling up on me.
Sorry to say but abscesses are stubborn buggers!!! Call your surgeon for sure and stay on top of it!!

Herndog, I had my first ileostomy done in 2010 largely because of an abscess - the surgeon went in to do a resection but because everything was in such a bad way he instead just cut out a small bit of bowel then gave me the ileo to allow that to heal and rest the bowel. I had that for a year and was relatively well for that year but did have times when I felt like the abscess was returning - I'd just increase my pred until the pain disappeared but I would not recommend this. After being rejoined and having more bowel removed I was ok for awhile then the abscess returned (plus others). I was in and out of hospital for months at a time until I had another resection and ileo 0n Nov 23 last year. This time the surgeon also removed an area outside of my intestine where the main abscess kept reforming - sorry I'm not clear exactly what, and also cut away numerous adhesions of the bowel to the back of my stomach cavity. Post surgery it was discovered that I'd developed a "collection" which I understand means uninfected abscess, under my liver which is about 9cm x 6cm (4"x2"). Its not giving me any pain or fevers so they are hoping it will be reabsorbed. I recently had an ultrasound and it had only grown so I haven't got high hopes of reabsorption.
Anyway, the point of this long story is that is highly possible your abscess has returned, or it could be a new one caused by the surgery. You should definitely contact your doctor or surgeon and let them know what is happening particularly if you are having pain or fevers. I can't believe how little time they had you in hospital. Was it keyhole surgery or are you super tough? :)
Let me know how you get on, intestinal abscesses are such a nuisance and seem to be very hard to get rid of in my experience. I really hope your pain is not the abscess and if it is that they can drain it and give you a course of oral antibiotics rather than having to return to hospital. :goodluck:
It wasn't a keyhole, I got cut right down the middle. The stoma and wound are fine. I'm just starting to feel the same pains had had before with my abscess. I guess i was being stupid when I thought I wouldn't have another abscess. :frown:

annawato

Staff member
Hi Herndog, have you contacted your doctor yet? and if so what did he say?
5 days in hospital is amazing - although with my first resection I think I was only in for 7 and was happily walking the hallway by day 2 or 3, but this time I was in agony until day 7. Not sure why it was harder this time - maybe cos i'm older and had been in hospital for 4 months prior to the op so very out of condition after lying around for so long.

Actually I woke up this morning and the pain I was feeling was gone! I was happy and confused. I did run out of my pain meds (OxyContin) called my doctor and they sent me Hydrocodone and they're not working!

annawato

Staff member
Yes I find oxycontin much better than oxycodone hydrochloride (endone) even though I think they are the same except oxycontin is slow release. The only problem with oxycontin is the tablets go thru me in about 3 hours - I see them whole when I empty my bag. Luckily I'm allowed 3 a day cos of short bowel but it still leaves a lot of the time when I'm not covered. Is hydrocodone the short acting tablets?

They seem like the short acting. I don't know for sure. Maybe I'll feel better in the morning. If not I'm calling my doctor or going to the ER not gonna spend another day in pain. Thank for asking about me. I love this forum it's helped a lot. :)

Well back in the hospital (icu) again! And tomorrow is my birthday. My abscess came back and my wound from ileostomy had fluid in it doc had to take some staples out and opened my wound up drain it and packed it with a wound kit! And got a new drain forum abscess. To say the least it's been an awful day!

Oh no!! Not quite the birthday party you imagined... Big hugs, Horndog. Happy Birthday!!! :bdayparty: Maybe the nurses can bring you some cake.

Sorry to hear your having a rough time, hopefully a combination of the draining and antibiotic will sort things out for you, keep us posted Ryan. P.s I know it's not but happy birthday.

Sorry to hear your having a rough time, hopefully a combination of the draining and antibiotic will sort things out for you, keep us posted Ryan. P.s I know it's not but happy birthday.
It's ok I feel better! I'll beat this abscess! Thanks for the concern Ryan!!!

With the time difference, I'm not sure whether you have had your birthday or not but...
:birthday2:

And I hope that they can get your abscess to clear up.

Good to hear that the stoma, at least, is working well. :thumright:

I'm glad you have a positive attitude about it after all that's happened!! I hope things pick up for you. Especially since it's your birthday today!!

annawato

Staff member
Happy Birthday for yesterday Ryan - it was my husbands birthday too!
Sorry to hear you are back in hospital - i hope it all clears up very speedily.
:heart: Anna

My doc told me that my wound wasn't healing well because of the prednisone, Has anyone heard this? Anyone have an idea on what they might put me on after tapering me off the prednisone.

annawato

Staff member
Yes, its very common for pred to impair wound healing. i had my surgery on november 23rd and my wound is still healing- partly cos it got infected but also cos of pred, which also predisposed me to infection. i've had vac therapy since Dec 7th and its supposed to speed healing but my home nurses have never seen a wound take so long with it.
What meds have you been on before? What they'll put you on depends what you've tried before and how "aggressively' your doctor wants to treat it. (aggressively may be the wrong term here??) Ive tried and failed with every drug so am hoping to be put in a trial for one of the new drugs but have to get the wound healed and the 'collection' under my liver resolved first. Am just hoping I don't have a flare up in the meantime but since they've removed the most diseased part of my bowel I should be good for a while.