• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just diagnosed

Hello,
After months of diarrhea my doctor sent me for a colonoscopy where I was diagnosed with Crohns. I currently feel like I am drowning in information! Im having trouble with all of the contradictory information out there. Im definately going to ask for a referal to a dietitian sooner than later. Because my crohns has been left unchecked for months, Im experiencing a terrible flare up and am asking for help in what I can eat. Ive been eating apple sauce, chicken broth with soda crackers, and chicken and rice. Any other ideas?

Thanks! The most difficult thing right now is hearing that finding the right foods is a lot of trial and error. Im loosing a lot of weight and dont have much of an appetite. I cant wait to figure out what works and what doesn't!

Every person is different. I , personally feel as I get older I am finding more foods that aggravate the Crohn's Disease. I hope things settle down for you.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Have they put you on any medications?

For food, I would also look into enteral nutrition.

All my best to you.

I just got diagnosed on Tuesday. I have a follow up appointment with the doctor to go over medications he talked about 2 different ones- I cant remember the names but they were in the form of a shot. Right now I trying to figure out what to eat! I tried scrambled eggs and theywent right through me this morning!

Im sticking to apple sauce, broth and soda crackers and chicken and rice. I also drink Gatorade and lots of water. These foods seem to be okay but my energy is very low! Althought I had diarrhea before, since the colonoscopy its been worse- Im wondering when it'll go back to 'normal!'

Im sticking to apple sauce, broth and soda crackers and chicken and rice. I also drink Gatorade and lots of water. These foods seem to be okay but my energy is very low! Althought I had diarrhea before, since the colonoscopy its been worse- Im wondering when it'll go back to 'normal!'
Have you had your blood checked?

At first they thought it was fatty liver disease because I had had that in the past but my levels came back normal and had completely reversed the fatty liver. Thats when they decided to send me for the colonoscopy.

I was thinking about that too. I have an appointment with my family doctor next week and Ill ask her about iron and any vitamins I should be taking.

This might be my denial talking but has anyone seeked a 2nd opinion about their diagnois of bowel disease? How accurate is a colonoscopy? I did have some biopsies take and am still waiting on the results.