• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Deodorant Allergy

Anybody else have this happen? Around the time I stopped taking Prednisone, I developed an allergy to most deodorants--I think it's the aluminum zirconium tetra-whatever that is the active ingredient in most. I tried a couple of different ones, but had the same result: itchy rash under my arms that would generally get so troublesome that I'd wash off the deodorant before I could see if it'd get better on its own. Years ago, I started to have a milder reaction to "scented" scent deodorants, but other scents (like "fresh" or the Irish Spring brand) didn't bother my skin. I've since switched to Arm & Hammer natural unscented, or sometimes just simply baking soda. I still get itchy occasionally, but there's no rash, and it may just simply be a side-effect of medications or the Crohn's itself, since I'll sometimes get itchy in a lot of areas.

I am allergic to regular deodorants as well. Same annoying itchy rash.

I use Tom's of Maine natural deodorant. I find I have to use it more than once a day to keep the stank under control lol, but at least I'm not scratching at my pits like a chimp all day.

I checked my local organic grocery and they didn't have anything. The Arm & Hammer seems to work well enough...one grocery store had a couple of other natural/organic brands, but they were a lot more expensive, so I haven't tried them yet.

If I recall, Mennen Speed Stick is a deodorant and not an anti-perspirant (the anti-sweat stuff is what generates the rash) and is fairly inexpensive. Smells nice too. Just make sure to read the label and get the one that is deodorant only.

nogutsnoglory

I like Herban Cowboy or Alba Botanicals. You can also order online if your health store doesn't have much. Worst case you order a few and don't use it.

PsychoJane

You may want to try crystal deodorant. They come in spray, roll or "rock". It works well as long as you don't expect it to survive intense training.

I've heard good about green beaver deodorant and earthwise deodorant.

Weird thing I sometime do... lime or lemon slice... A bit sticky but keeps the smell away for a time.

None is antiperspirant though.

Are there any natural antiperspirants? I haven't been able to find any. I sweat a lot, although thankfully it's been a little less since the start of the Crohn's for some reason.

nogutsnoglory

There are some like Tom's of Maine. Personally I find I need regular deodorant, I prefer natural but those chemicals help me not sweat it smell.

Are there any natural antiperspirants? I haven't been able to find any. I sweat a lot, although thankfully it's been a little less since the start of the Crohn's for some reason.
Walmart carries one or two and fairly cheap. The one I use is a roll on and it has a pink ribbon on the lid for breast cancer awareness. It is the crystal type of mineral salts. Actually works pretty good if you apply it twice a day. I dab powder too because it is so wet. I would get gaulded otherwise. Or dab with some tissues after you apply. Tom's of Maine works somewhat for me. The one I buy works better.:)