• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Candida

Anyone know anything about it? A friend of mine suggested looking into it. At this time I do not have the willpower to give up all the foods it suggest to get healthy. Just wanted to see if anyone else has read about it.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Candida is yeast/fungus. You can have an over growth of it if you take antibiotics. The antibiotics kill off too much of the normal bacterial flora and the yeast have a chance to over grow. You can get oral Candida(Thrush). Also Vaginal yeast infections. Children's diaper rashes can be from Candida. And Yeast in the gut. Pretty much any where. People with lowered immune symptoms like AIDS patients are very susceptible to it.
Are you looking to try the SCD diet? I haven't tried it, but some others have. I guess the theory is that you restrict the carbohydrates (SUGAR) that bacteria and yeast need to grow. I've heard it's hard to follow because its so strict.

Last edited:
I have read a full book on Candida and all the symptoms I have are the same as the ones in the book. So how do I know if I have this and Crohns. I would need to give up eating and I aint ready for that yet. I need some fun in my life, ha ha

Thanks for the reply!

I am not willing to give up good food either!! I want to try and eat better and cut out some sugar and processed foods. There is no way I can give them up completely though.

I just wanted to see what others thought about it.

I would say that if you really were motivated to being well then you would be able to cut out everything bad like sugar etc.

That said, I have done some major cutbacks but am not managing to do this 100%. And I still haven't managed to stop the smoking so I would be a hypocrite if I said everyone 'should' completely change their diet and they would be much better off! So, I guess I am not really as motivated as I should be either. It's all still sinking in for me and the reality of Crohns long term hasn't registered completely with me yet. But I am determined to change diest as much as possible without tortuting myself! And I have so many supplements I could start my own store!

I fantasise of having a personal chef to organise all my meals for me!

Oh Shantel, I wasn;t wanting to sound like I was lecturing! As I said I would be a major hypocrite if I did as I haven't managed yet to make all the changes I have been recommended!

Particularly with the smoking - it seems changing diet has been easier for me than that - I think that giving up smoking for me will mean I have actually reached acceptance that I have this disease which may be why I am struggling with it.

I guess what i noticed about the food thing is people saying that such and such makes them REALLY sick but they eat it anyway and I can't imagine doing that, that's all.

No intention to offend anyone at all, and sorry if it came out that way!

Shaz the hypocrite

Shantel no worries!

this sums me up completely so it is hard to give up stuff that normal is fine--Also, I think for some of us - we aren't 100% sure that *that* food is *always* going to make us feel bad - this happens to me ALL the time. Three times you eat it and you are fine - but the next - boom - you are sick. Was it *that* food that did it, or did you have a bit of inflammation going on or was it a 24 hour bug you caught at